Growing buffs for unused characters

Options
Nonce Equitaur 2
Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
For people that play every day, something good should happen for the characters that aren't being used. D3 has mentioned wanting to encourage roster diversity, and one thing that does that is having a big roster. But there is currently not much benefit for having the poorer characters around.

After 15 days of regular play, the unused backbench characters should receive a minor buff.
After 30 days of regular play, the unused backbench characters should receive a major buff.
After 60 days of regular play, the unused backbench characters should receive a mondo buff.

The mondo buff -- drops AP costs 50%, increases health 300%, increases damage 200%. It's a one time thing, but a person could have the character as their defensive team in PvP and have the buff stay in place.

I don't think it would be abused much, since it takes 60 days to set up, and it only works once. Still, almost all characters would be formidable with a mondo buff.

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well, if you believe what we're being told, the last thing they're going to do is provide a new incentive for NOT using characters.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Maybe simplify it a bit: on any given day, the three (or however many) characters that have been used the least over the last week (or however long) automatically get a 50% buff. If that isn't enough to encourage use - for example, if Loki ALWAYS qualifies for that buff, and doesn't move up in the rankings - then the character is due for a rebalance. That also evens things out a bit and makes it a bit harder to game the system.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think they are buffing different characters now. Look Dare Devil is buffed in PVE and a PVP. Bagman is buffed as well. The issue is 2 things:

#1 some characters are too unrelable like Dare Devil, and others are too situational or under powered like Loki.
    #2 is us the player base. We are too competitive and want to win. We find something that works and stick with it becuase we win or achieve a level of competitiveness we can live with. The PVP events are now so competitive with seasons and new covers (maybe not these last couple) that the commuinty sticks with what works and don't experement with different teams that would still let us win.

For buffing characters The just need to roate these characters in the PVE, and PVP events and fix the truly broken characters.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wymtime wrote:
    We are too competitive and want to win.
    That would be because competition and winning at competition are the only means by which to advance in this game after you're done with the prologue.
    Not our fault; the game's fault.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    _RiO_ wrote:
    wymtime wrote:
    We are too competitive and want to win.
    That would be because competition and winning at competition are the only means by which to advance in this game after you're done with the prologue.
    Not our fault; the game's fault.

It is true competition is a big part of the game. My point is becuase it is a competition and players get so competitive we don't experement with different lineups. We don't try different combinations becuase if we die or take major damage we fall behind. Most players will find a combination that works well for them ie: OBW/Thor or Ares or Cmags/Patch and just run that team becuase it works. The Devs have create some interesting characters like Falcon, and Psylock but they are not played much even by whales because we know Cmags and Patch can kill someone really quickly and not take a lot of damage. These combo's on offense also gel easy and don't take a lot of thought.

I would like to get more 3*** characters and with the new true healing I hope I can find some good combinations I just think the community has to take some of the blame for running the same teams. My hope is the Dev's continue to mix up the buffed characters and make it possible to earn more 3*** characters so the community can really see what each character can really do.

And I really, really, really want to win icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    I can see this idea only working if event buffs overwrite unused buff. You usually dont use Psylocke, imagine seeing her in a tourney with 50% buff plus your buffs.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Event buffs would add onto the backbench buffs.

So, in a tourney, you have the following possible fights, each worth 25.
    The first is against Bagman+500% with half AP costs, Invis Woman +500% with half AP costs, and Ragnarok +300%.
    Another choice is MagnetoMN+500% with half AP costs, Ares +500% with half AP costs, and Modern Storm +200%.
    And the third choice is Lazy Thor, Daken, and Hulk with no buffs.

Do you fight all three, of do you skip some of those because they've been buffed too high?

With the growing buffs, even classic Hawkeye and Yelena would be good to use at least once every 60 days.
  • Unknown
    Options
    wymtime wrote:
    ...I just think the community has to take some of the blame for running the same teams. My hope is the Dev's continue to mix up the buffed characters and make it possible to earn more 3*** characters so the community can really see what each character can really do.

Those two sentences show a bit of a contrast. Players use teams because that's what available (Thor and Wolverine in early 2* days), or what's powerful and useful because of how the game is built (OBW for healing/stealing in marathon gaming sessions). Balance is entirely in the hands of the developers.

That's not to say that they are expected to get it right from the start, but unless the players are cheating, they are the best way to show where the devs have made mistakes. OBW was too dominant because players need her healing to keep playing in the face of persistent damage and limited healing packs. Her thievery is annoying and powerful, but not backbreaking. The metagame warped around her because of the meta-healing aspects, not because her heal was too powerful in a match.