Character diversity...

Options
[rant]

You want character diversity?

Then tell me why my team of boosted characters (125 Storm+107 IM40 + 93 Thor) can be constantly WIPED OFF THE FACE OF THE EARTH by an AI running: 34 Jugs + 35 Muscle + 34 Hood in 3-7 moves?!?

My team that is 3x stronger is being cascaded into oblivion 8 out of 10 times by the "random" tiles that get added to the board. I have never seen this many cascaded loses before. And if it was just one or two, or maybe even three, I would say, lucky bastard of an AI got me. But this has been consistent in the current PVE.

I mean these are loses that make no sense. When I go from full health to death in 3 AI moves from cascades over and over and over, it is no longer random, and no longer fun.

I don't know what changes to the RNG algorithm have been instituted, but this is ridiculous and makes me want to hulk smash my phone by throwing it across the room.

It seems like the more I play, and the more "updates" (announced and ninja) that come out, the less likely I am going to continue to play this game. I have already requested a refund for the money I spent last week. I won't hold my breath. And I am more than likely out once Season 3 comes to an end. I love my alliance and the guys/gals I play with. They have kept me happy and grounded with a lot of inter-alliance competition that is WAY more fun than the actual competition. With alliance chatter and shyt talking at each other in the name of good fun between matches. But I don't know how much more player unfriendly changes I can take.

Instead of this game getting better with time, it just appears to be getting worse and worse, and more of give me, give me, give me more money to keep playing the same. And it's like the Dev's are doing this purposely. icon_evil.gif ( Or are seriously disconnected in the world of MPQ)

"You say the 2 to 3 star transition is too hard, well here, have a new 3 star character EVERY OTHER WEEK so you don't have to make that transition because you'll never get enough covers of any 3 star to be viable (whispers... unless you want to pay for covers)."

"Oh you think MMR and Scaling are too much... well we'll just nerf bat the hell out of healers so you can't play as much and now your MMR/Scaling will go down. (whispers... unless you want to pay for health packs and in game boost)."

[/rant]

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    They announce the horrid "True Healing" crapola and speak of roster diversity..... and at the same time they launch a Juggy Heroic event in which you can only use 6 characters, 5 of which have been in the game since the beginning.

Iron Man (1* or 3*)
    Black Widow (1* or 3*)
    Hawkeye
    Thor
    Storm
    Human Torch

That screams out DIVERSITY to me icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    MikeHock wrote:
    They announce the horrid "True Healing" crapola and speak of roster diversity..... and at the same time they launch a Juggy Heroic event in which you can only use 6 characters, 5 of which have been in the game since the beginning.

Iron Man (1* or 3*)
    Black Widow (1* or 3*)
    Hawkeye
    Thor
    Storm
    Human Torch

That screams out DIVERSITY to me icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Thank you ! That's what I was asking myself bitterly...
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    arktos1971 wrote:
    MikeHock wrote:

Iron Man (1* or 3*)
    Black Widow (1* or 3*)
    Hawkeye
    Thor
    Storm
    Human Torch

Thank you ! That's what I was asking myself bitterly...

Yes! Diversity in PVE is a falsehood. Heroics force only certain characters, as do essential nodes, as do boosted characters (because: why use unboosted?). This is not a format for diversity, and the "true healing" won't fix this!
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    Hehe, the Juggs + Hood + Muscle node is annoying. I've experienced nearly the same thing once or twice in that node.

While I don't really like the roster lockout in the current PVE, I actually appreciate the fact that the devs are actually pitting us against enemy teams that are interestingly annoying, instead of simply being L7000 goons with approx. 4 million health. If/when those annoying-synergy nodes scale up, though, my appreciation will naturally wane.
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    Yes! Diversity in PVE is a falsehood. Heroics force only certain characters, as do essential nodes, as do boosted characters (because: why use unboosted?). This is not a format for diversity, and the "true healing" won't fix this!
    PVEs do force a certain sort of "diversity" if you think about it: they encourage/mandate that you keep and level a pretty wide range of characters in order to be consistently competitive -- this is most clearly demonstrated in the "Essential" required-character nodes in every single PVE. As for boosted characters, I've actually used unboosted characters a good bit lately in PVEs. Namely, my 141 LT was still more powerful than my buffed near-max 2* Thor in one or two of the recent PVEs, and I use my L75 Rogers over his boosted 2* counterpart whenever I can. Some people run unboosted Hood, OBW, Torch, CMags, etc. even when they have high-level boosted characters, because those characters are very useful in PVEs.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Regarding the diversity thing, It is entirely possible that this truly is a goal of the "True Healing" change, but it's saddled onto the cash-grabby, flawed Health Pack system. Frankly, I think the relative payoff in terms of diversity is going to be low from this change - that is to say, it will fail to have a MAJOR effect in the stated desired area (I will grant it may have some minor effect, but I would be surprised if it ends up being significant). Below are some thoughts about what changes would encourage me as a player to want to use a broader array of my characters. Some of these have been mentioned by me before in other threads, or are inspired by other forum members' posts. This is more of a compilation of ideas with some new ones mixed in.

1) Ease the covers bottleneck - There are more *** characters than * and ** combined... what?? *** means rare, right? And getting any *** character to a competitive level takes a ton of time to get enough covers to raise the soft level cap and make the abilities decent (or it takes a ton of $/HP, for the wealthy or hackers). Players in **-land are stuck with a minimally diverse playable roster and a slog of a time to get into ***-land. So what can we do about this?

-1a) Make it easier to hunt down covers for specific ***/****'s - As the pool of *** characters has grown and grown, we're mostly still stuck with tokens that pull from the entire pool (plus the **'s... good lord, so many duplicate **'s!!!). Event specific tokens give like a 1% boost to the odds of featured character(s). Maybe they want to encourage spending HP directly buying covers, but even then you must randomly pull or tournament-win the color you need. I would love to play with Lazy Daken, but I only have his Blue and Black powers - he runs on Purple, and I can't buy a Purple Daken even if I want to pay 1250 HP (as a rule, I do not). So how can we help get needed covers, encouraging actually playing with characters?
    --1a1) Spend Standard/Heroic tokens to change the odds - Much like in the Minish Cap Zelda game for GBA, instead of 1 token per pull, spend multiple tokens at once to raise odds. Maybe even make it character-specific (1 token = +1% or +5% chance to character of your choice).
    --1a2) Have multiple "Heroic" class token "slots" that pull from different pools - Maybe 5-10 possible ***'s per pool, so you can spend your tokens aiming for specific covers you need. Spend your Heroic token in the Avengers slot or the X-Men slot or the Villains slot, etc. etc. Divvy them up however.
    --1a3) Danger Room mode - Complete challenges with a single character to gain covers for them. The more covers you already have for that character, the harder the challenges become. These could be like the item crafting puzzles from the original Puzzle Quest - Challenge of the Warlords.

-1b) Increase the pool of * and **'s in a way that doesn't create a needless ISO-sink - The biggest argument I've heard against adding more * and **'s is that the last thing we need is one more place to spend valuable ISO on characters that we won't eventually use anymore. Great point. Since the game loves having multiple versions of characters at different rarity levels, let's embrace that but change the implementation. Have multiple versions of characters who share a (best possible) level and level cap. So if I'm just starting out, let's say I get MBW to level 30 and then get my first covers for OBW. OBW's level cap is now 30, even with just one cover - and she is at level 30. If I spend ISO to level one of them to 31, it levels both of them to 31. Past MBW's hard cap, only OBW will keep gaining the levels. Once I have GSBW, it levels all three (or both) of them, as high as each version's max level will go - past 85, only GSBW still gets to grow. Transitioning is now easier, and Lazy characters don't feel so tacked on - they become the natural progression. This has the bonus of opening up wide rosters for **-land players as *** characters get * and ** versions. Also eases the ISO bottleneck. Speaking of...

2) Ease the ISO bottleneck - I would love to switch up my game with more characters, but I can't. With the level of opponents I face, I can't reasonably bring a partially-covered level 54 character to the fight and expect to win consistently. The growth rate, especially as characters hit higher levels, makes bringing a wide array of characters up to speed take forever. So how can we get more ISO to make more characters useful and desirable to use?

-2a) Add traditional RPG-style battle experience - Let the characters who fight get a benefit for doing so. As it stands now, the best way to level someone is to take your best characters and have them go win for a while, then spend the ISO on someone with potential. Wouldn't it make more sense to grow build up weaker characters by actually playing with them? That way the player also gets to get used to them, how they work, who they team well with, etc. Keep the post-battle ISO drop as a bonus that can be spent on whatever character, but let the characters who fight get an ISO infusion as part of the spoils of victory. And tie this to to the relative power of the enemy team vs the player team. If I can drop a PvE team of level 300's, with my 141's, give me a nice reward. If I do it with 85's, give me a nicer one. If I bully a level 30 team of HAMMER soldiers with my 141's, minimize that reward. Give me an incentive to use the weaker characters!

3) Balance the existing characters better - Currently, Loki and Lazy Thor are supposedly of an equal tier. Patch and Nerf-Spider-Man are too. Sentry is just ***'s, same as Ragnarok. There's always going to be some variance, but seriously, people gravitate towards a few characters because they are flatly better characters to use. Who will gain you more wins, OBW or Bullseye? Ares or Bag-Man? CMags or Daredevil? So let's...

-3a) Let 2-power characters level up to the 3-power max level for their star rating - Level caps are tied to # of covers. A 2-power character COULD hang with 3-power characters if the powers were great and they were allowed to level up to their star-level's actual 13/13 level cap. If we want to keep some 2-power guys, fine, but don't artificially keep their raw stats underpowered too. I think a lot of people would occasionally run Doom if he could just be level 141 without any other changes, for example. Or...

-3b) Give a third power to 2-power characters - Some characters really need to do something more. Loki, for example, needs a way to matter more outside of being a nice roadie for Patch. Plus, it's fun to get a new trick for our old dogs!

-3c) Rebalance existing 3-power characters - We all hate nerfs to characters we like, but I think most of us can tolerate small nerfs. Spider-Man went from nearly auto-include to a Loki/Daredevil tier ***. That's not diversity, that's removal from the metagame. A quality nerf would drop someone who's so outside the power distribution curve to within the distribution curve, so they would remain a solid option, but others would be just as viable. I fear what's in store for CMags... just make a small tweak at first and then observe. Tweak again as needed to keep him a highly powered but not overpowered character. But you know what's better than nerfs? Buff some of our weaker characters! These boards are full of great ideas on how to power up weak characters and gently power down overpowered characters.

4) PvP Defenses - Part of the reason it's tough to take a chance on some characters is that they will leave a player wide open for defensive losses in PvP. Now, maybe it's OK to have some characters whose specialty is scaring off attackers and you take the hit to offense to buff your defense. OK, that's strategy. But the penalty is too severe as it stands. Point loss is brutal in PvP, I've lost over 200 points just over the course of a single match during frenzied times at least once or twice. 200! In the amount of time I can win a max of 50 points in a real outlier situation. Limit the losses and don't make people sweat about defenses they can't really control anyway. If you have to raise the tiers of progression rewards because it's easier to climb higher, OK. People would rather have to climb higher than get constantly pulled down (or at least I would).

Well, that was an enormous text dump of thoughts. If you bore with me through the whole thing, thanks for reading. I think these are the types of changes that will ACTUALLY increase character diversity far more than "True Healing". Open to critiques, other ideas, etc.!
  • Unknown
    Options
    Most of these ideas are very solid. The "danger room" idea is hands down my favorite. The game needs an avenue for progression, and this would be a cool one. Even if it only allowed you to obtain 1 cover in each color, it would be a huge boon to specific character building. Also, cashing multiple tokens at once to increase odds sounds fantastic. I traded in over 400 tokens last night, and I would have cashed the standards in 10s in a heartbeat even for a modest rate increase.

All in all this is a great list of thought-provoking and reasonable suggestions. Who knows? Maybe a developer will even read it!

**: Edited because I misread one of your suggestions and argued against it. Which is a curious kind of argumentation to enter into, and not particularly profitable for anyone.
  • Unknown
    Options
    PvE character diversity is already fine. People who complain about PvE simply doesn't put together good teams or understand how their teams work. Back in the height of the level 395 scaling I put all kinds of crazy teams that accidentally won against very high level PvE opposition when I was trying to lower my scaling. No of course I usually lose way more often than I win in these cases, but you'll be surprised how well some of the characters work together.

For PvP I can't think of a good way to resolve it as long as one of the character out of the 3 is mandatory. Even if the game was perfectly balanced, that'd still be awfully limiting, and of course the game isn't anywhere close to balanced.