Match replay option

Moon Roach
Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
When I am notified that I have been defeated, it would be nice to be able to view exactly what happened as a replay. I'd like to see what boosts were used. And I'd like to be able to scroll backwards and forwards, see what abilities were used and what the drops were. That's not too hard, is it?

Comments

• I would love a feature like this. would also help to catch cheaters too aka flo98 and gypsy.
  • I would love this option. The only problem I see with it is the amount of space it would take to save the information for all users.
  • this would be so good, sometimes i see a lvl 70 storm/moonfire win against my maxed characters and i would love to see how they did it icon_e_biggrin.gif
    and this would help so much too catch cheaters like flo, gypsy, electro
  • TheHueyFreeman
    TheHueyFreeman Posts: 472 Mover and Shaker
    While I would enjoy that option, its harder than you would think. You would need to keep storage on thousands of games that were played (up to a month ago due to seasons). Given their recent server issues, I doubt that they would be able to take on that load.
  • While I would enjoy that option, its harder than you would think. You would need to keep storage on thousands of games that were played (up to a month ago due to seasons). Given their recent server issues, I doubt that they would be able to take on that load.

You won't need more than 1KB to store a game because all the sequence can be expressed as nodes moved and tiles generated/destroyed. All random nature of the game is obviously no longer random by the time the match is resolved and can be stored exactly. So 1 billion games stored would need 1 TB of space which is hardly anything significant. Though one interesting question is how many/how long should the server retain these games? I guess it can't possibly retain them for longer than 30 days anyway because by then whatever event the game occurred must have ended already, and normally it'd be at most 2D 12H.
  • While I would enjoy that option, its harder than you would think. You would need to keep storage on thousands of games that were played (up to a month ago due to seasons). Given their recent server issues, I doubt that they would be able to take on that load.

in dota 2 every game is stored and that game has millions of players every day, if they can manage it then mpq should definitly be able to do the same.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    While I would enjoy that option, its harder than you would think. You would need to keep storage on thousands of games that were played (up to a month ago due to seasons). Given their recent server issues, I doubt that they would be able to take on that load.

in dota 2 every game is stored and that game has millions of players every day, if they can manage it then mpq should definitly be able to do the same.
    DOTA 2 isn't running on typewriters, though. Not exclusively, at least, like this game.