***** Kang (The Conqueror) *****

Comments

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,904 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2023

One way Kang is going to shake things up (both 3 and 5* version) that hasn't been talked about is Boss battles and Puzzle Gauntlet.

For weaker rosters if you can't beat that round 7/8 Boss, just bring 3* Kang, collect 9 Blue and you beat the Boss. Until/unless they coded all Bosses to not be allowed to be sent 'away' like they can't be stunned.

Same for Puzzle Gauntlet. Can't or don't want to get fortified tiles in 4 corners or some other annoying win condition? Just bring Kang as one of your 3 characters, and match Blue till you get 18 or 27 needed and send the enemy away and win. He'll work like Gamora's Black did (insta-kill) until they fixed it.

KGB

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards

@entrailbucket said:
    I guess it's possible, but I'd be shocked if they let you Away boss fights. Most of those guys are immune to stun, airborne, etc.

I'd imagine they'll deactivate it in Puzzle Gauntlet too, but who knows.

I do think people are focusing a bit too much on the "collect 27 blue, win game" strategy. That's, like, a thing you could technically do, but I really doubt you'll pull it off very much.

It's far, far more likely to play about like "kill one guy, away one guy, kill the 3rd guy within 4 turns" which is completely insane power level-wise...we've never seen anything like it. I'm not sure if it's overpowered, necessarily, but only having to kill 2 guys is nuts -- you shorten every match by 1/3.

I mean, that's every 3* event, basically. That middle guy might as well not be there.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,807 Chairperson of the Boards

Well right, and if you bring Kang, now another guy might as well not be there. Think about what 3* events are like compared to 5* features or shield sim.

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,384 Chairperson of the Boards

It should happen on the second turn, but Chasm appears to be broken, so the regen may happen on the third turn.
    I’m interested in how the ap gain works. What happens if Kang is stunned for 3-4 turns.
    Any ap drained or destroyed while he is stunned…Will it get refunded.

As for sending people away, I would guess most stun immune folks…ie PvE bosses will be immune.

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2023

Also on single battles kang will be the king.
    I don't think any player will let him pass by.
    His away cd is fortified but can be destroyed (Mthor, colossus, even spider glider).
    As the finisher for the last enemy he will be great.
    And I expect more bugs with his passive restoring AP. I wouldn't want it any other way.

• KGB

@entrailbucket said:
    I guess it's possible, but I'd be shocked if they let you Away boss fights. Most of those guys are immune to stun, airborne, etc.

I do think people are focusing a bit too much on the "collect 27 blue, win game" strategy. That's, like, a thing you could technically do, but I really doubt you'll pull it off very much.

It's far, far more likely to play out like "kill one guy, away one guy, kill the 3rd guy within 4 turns" which is completely insane power level-wise...we've never seen anything like it. I'm not sure if it's overpowered, necessarily, but only having to kill 2 guys is nuts -- you shorten every match by 1/3.

I imagine they will deactivate it at some point. But they may not have done it yet nor do it for a while so it may be viable initially until the loop hole is closed.

Do you think this really that much more insane than Deadpools Whales? That wins the game outright regardless of how many enemies are left or how much health they have? Kangs should be easier to pull off (9 Blue vs 14 TU) but both are insane power wise.

KGB

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards

@KGB said:

@entrailbucket said:

It's far, far more likely to play out like "kill one guy, away one guy, kill the 3rd guy within 4 turns" which is completely insane power level-wise...we've never seen anything like it. I'm not sure if it's overpowered, necessarily, but only having to kill 2 guys is nuts -- you shorten every match by 1/3.

I imagine they will deactivate it at some point. But they may not have done it yet nor do it for a while so it may be viable initially until the loop hole is closed.

Do you think this really that much more insane than Deadpools Whales? That wins the game outright regardless of how many enemies are left or how much health they have? Kangs should be easier to pull off (9 Blue vs 14 TU) but both are insane power wise.

KGB

Whales are a finite resource - you need a week to build up one use.
    That's not a valid comparison to a regular character skill.

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2023

The countdown that is linked to being away will create problems. So the enemy team has four opportunities to match or destroy it unless they can kill or send away iHulk as well. Building 27 or 18 ap takes time, though Iceman, Kang, mThor will have other cool things they can do even if the away mechanism doesn't function properly. If opposing Kang, that countdown will be targeted by my own mThor, since she hates special tiles in every form, though her destroying it will trigger other happy goodness for the opposing team.

I really want to know the interaction with Wong as well, since returning should probably have precedence over winning imo.

• entrailbucket

@Bowgentle said:

@KGB said:

@entrailbucket said:

KGB

Whales are a finite resource - you need a week to build up one use.
    That's not a valid comparison to a regular character skill.

Right, and 9 is much, much lower than 14.

• entrailbucket

@Sekilicious said:
    It creates a countdown that is linked to being away. So the enemy team has four opportunities to match it unless they can kill or send away iHulk as well. If you get another turn that countdown will be targeted by mThor, since she hates special tiles in every form, though her destroying will trigger other happy goodness. I want to know the interaction with Wong as well, since returning should probably have precedence over winning imo.

I mean, you'd almost certainly Away Thor if she's there, or just kill her before you start any of these shenanigans. Same with Kitty -- her repeater would also knock out your tile.

I'm not arguing that this is overpowered, necessarily, just that it's really powerful, and that it's much, much wider in application than "27 blue: win the game." For the relatively low cost of 9 blue you can shorten every single match by 1/3 or more, depending on how annoying the guy you send Away is.

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,489 Chairperson of the Boards

@entrailbucket said:

@Sekilicious said:
    It creates a countdown that is linked to being away. So the enemy team has four opportunities to match it unless they can kill or send away iHulk as well. If you get another turn that countdown will be targeted by mThor, since she hates special tiles in every form, though her destroying will trigger other happy goodness. I want to know the interaction with Wong as well, since returning should probably have precedence over winning imo.

I mean, you'd almost certainly Away Thor if she's there, or just kill her before you start any of these shenanigans. Same with Kitty -- her repeater would also knock out your tile.

I'm not arguing that this is overpowered, necessarily, just that it's really powerful, and that it's much, much wider in application than "27 blue: win the game." For the relatively low cost of 9 blue you can shorten every single match by 1/3 or more, depending on how annoying the guy you send Away is.

Depends on timing, too - if the timer on the "away" runs out, the guy comes back (though they do take a lot of damage.) In that way it's not that different from a stun - there are very few powers that clear the "stun" condition, so effectively it's a stun that is disruptible (though not easy to disrupt, since it's fortified,) but also the stunned person doesn't count as even being there for the purposes of winning.

• bladewing
    bladewing Posts: 125 Tile Toppler

So Wong introduced the Away mechanic, only for it to have a counter in the very next 5star?

Whatever effectiveness Wong had (and he isn' teven close to meta), has already been undermined partially by Kang, and Wong hasn't even reached the LL store yet.

If you only have enough LL tokens to pull for one of them, Kang is the obvious choice.

• Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,015 Chairperson of the Boards

The black power states when its CD expires it does x damage to “front most ally”. But on lvl 4 and 5 it specifically mentions Kang taking the damage.

? Are we assuming Kang is gonna be in front when the cd expires/is destroyed? Or is this a simple typing mistake?

• KGB

One thing we should all do is petition for the unnerfing of Bishop.

Then we can all generate 27 Blue AP on turn 1 or 2 :D

KGB

• entrailbucket
    edited February 2023

@GrimSkald said:

@entrailbucket said:

Depends on timing, too - if the timer on the "away" runs out, the guy comes back (though they do take a lot of damage.) In that way it's not that different from a stun - there are very few powers that clear the "stun" condition, so effectively it's a stun that is disruptible (though not easy to disrupt, since it's fortified,) but also the stunned person doesn't count as even being there for the purposes of winning.

I think the fact that the person hit by Away is effectively dead for 4 turns makes it much, much better than a stun, even though it's theoretically disruptible.

Take your average current PvP match, a max 3* + 550 Chasm + 470ish Hulk. In the time it takes to collect 9 blue you'll likely kill the 3* just by match damage. At that point you fire Kang blue on Chasm and you've got 4 turns to kill Hulk. Kang black can probably oneshot Hulk on its own, or you can fire any other active power from your 3rd guy to do it.

Yes, theoretically Hulk could match your Kang tile twice and ruin your plan, but you could also just wait to send Chasm away until you've got enough AP to oneshot Hulk.

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2023

Yeah if you fire blue and black on the same turn you are collecting 15 ap. With Hit Monkey at least you have three opportunities to collect ap, so probably not as susceptible to a bad board, but a battery like Wanda might be needed to ensure everything works properly. Those 550 Chasms have brutal match damage as well, though maybe Wanda can mitigate that a bit. I wonder what happens if you kill Chasm while Hulk is away. Does he revive? I expect not, so if you bring Wanda and target Chasm he will be about ready to die once you have 9 blue. It will be interesting to see how the community uses this character.

• CallTheStorm
    CallTheStorm Posts: 63 Match Maker

One scenario will be interesting. Team A with Wong and team B with Kang. When Wong is away by his own power, Kang kill/send away other two members of team A. In this case, is team A Wong coming back right away or team B win instantly?

• bladewing
    bladewing Posts: 125 Tile Toppler

@CallTheStorm said:
    One scenario will be interesting. Team A with Wong and team B with Kang. When Wong is away by his own power, Kang kill/send away other two members of team A. In this case, is team A Wong coming back right away or team B win instantly?

It sounds like Team B will instantly win, if what Ice said on Discord is correct.

This would give Wong the biggest suicide ability in the game. If you're using Team B with Kang against a Team A with Wong, you can just down the other 2 opposing toons, and leave all the purple for the computer-controlled Wong to snatch up. Wong then fires the purple and boom, you win!

• froggerjohn
    froggerjohn Posts: 373 Mover and Shaker

I'm pretty excited by this one. It seems like there will be a lot if interesting team combos to exploit the new powers, and that should be a good thing.

In the most basic sense, elements that speed up battles are good, and ones that slow things down (here's looking at you, Chasm) are bad, or at least, annoying.

Kang feels like a healthy addition that should make Sim fun again, and expand the number of viable teams. I'm a bit less certain about pick-2 PvP, since bringing him means only one other character, and not sure who's ideal here.