***** Kang (The Conqueror) *****

Comments

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards

HE could really see a rebalance for to join him.
    Gargantos is there too.
    Even khang, gargantos and Mthor could de good as khang could easily gain 1 blue always. And it will be a good defensive team as AI can choose between khang or garg blue power.
    Or just forget about the blue and fire his huge cheap black.

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,383 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2023

I like him for PvE. Not sure how effective he will be at countering Chasm/iHulk though.
    You are looking at 3 turns for the blue needed to send chasm away for 4 turns and nuke iHulk down. It could work with the right partner. In pick 2 I guess you would pair him with either Wanda or Electro to go after Chasm/iHulk.
    In pick 3 pve he will be a lot more fun with Hawkeye and Gargantos/other countdown creator. If you can generate enough blue quickly you wont have to even bother with the challenge node.

• Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 343 Mover and Shaker

Looks interesting, but not sure if his blue passive "steal" or "destroy" AP part will work against chasm, who says that both players "lose AP"

• CharlieLima
    CharlieLima Posts: 112 Tile Toppler

@entrailbucket said:

@ThaRoadWarrior said:
    So Kang/Hawkeye/Coulson for maximum away?

Pretty much, could also do the BRB Polaris thing. There are probably other tricks I'm missing, and any support that gives free blue is about to become very popular.

Chasm won’t let BRB place protect tiles, so you’d have it to collect blue the old-fashioned way. You can use the fast-track method for any other opponent.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,807 Chairperson of the Boards

@CharlieLima said:

@entrailbucket said:

@ThaRoadWarrior said:
    So Kang/Hawkeye/Coulson for maximum away?

Pretty much, could also do the BRB Polaris thing. There are probably other tricks I'm missing, and any support that gives free blue is about to become very popular.

Chasm won’t let BRB place protect tiles, so you’d have it to collect blue the old-fashioned way. You can use the fast-track method for any other opponent.

I was talking more about PvE there.

• jeffsterz
    jeffsterz Posts: 50 Match Maker

@Seph1roth5 said:
    Looks interesting, but not sure if his blue passive "steal" or "destroy" AP part will work against chasm, who says that both players "lose AP"

This is an interesting point. A person in my alliance also brought this up, which makes me wonder if they’ll edit the wording?

Speaking of edits, are they going to change that feeder graphic? Is that supposed to be Domino, or is that supposed to read retro?

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards

@jeffsterz said:

@Seph1roth5 said:

This is an interesting point. A person in my alliance also brought this up, which makes me wonder if they’ll edit the wording?

Speaking of edits, are they going to change that feeder graphic? Is that supposed to be Domino, or is that supposed to read retro?

Since Domino isn't mentioned, I'd assume Monkey gets double fed, at least for now.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,580 Chairperson of the Boards

@jeffsterz said:

@Seph1roth5 said:

Well you don't have the option to get the AP back nor does it go anywhere else so presumably it is classified as being "destroyed".

• DAZ0273

@Bad said:
    HE could really see a rebalance for to join him.
    Gargantos is there too.
    Even khang, gargantos and Mthor could de good as khang could easily gain 1 blue always. And it will be a good defensive team as AI can choose between khang or garg blue power.
    Or just forget about the blue and fire his huge cheap black.

Am I missing some sort of MPQ nickname or is there a reason for spelling Kang to include an "h"?

• Bad

I thought kang had asian connections.
    But not, he actually has african ones, concretely egyptians.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2023

550 players last pulled around mid August. We'll probably see new meta immune to Away around April to July.

Anyway, things are subjected to change before official release. Who knows, Kang can only send 1 enemy away one or two days later.

• DAZ0273

@Bad said:
    I thought kang had asian connections.
    But not, he actually has african ones, concretely egyptians.

Well it is all a bit convoluted but the being who becomes Kang is I think in the lineage of Nathaniel Richards (and maybe Dr. Doom) - the Rama Tut stuff is all just an alias so he isn't Egyptian in the same way that say Apocalypse and The Living Monolith are by way of birth. I am not sure if Egypt exists in the future Kang hails from. Does that make him have African connections - I guess so although I am not sure why that would add an "H" to the spelling/pro-nounciation?

• Bad
    edited February 2023

@DAZ0273 said:

I guess so although I am not sure why that would add an "H" to the spelling/pro-nounciation?

Genghis khan, the conqueror.

• DAZ0273

@Bad said:

@DAZ0273 said:

I guess so although I am not sure why that would add an "H" to the spelling/pro-nounciation?

Genghis khan, the conqueror.

Well according to the Marvel Wiki page on He Who Remains he has Genghis Khan's shoes!

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards

@Bowgentle said:
    Since Domino isn't mentioned, I'd assume Monkey gets double fed, at least for now.

After thinking about it a bit more it probably means Monkey is double fed but there will not be retro rewards for him. We will know Thursday I guess.

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,489 Chairperson of the Boards

@Sekilicious said:

@Bowgentle said:

After thinking about it a bit more it probably means Monkey is double fed but there will not be retro rewards for him. We will know Thursday I guess.

This actually doesn't make sense at all - 3* HM feeds 4* Ghost, who feeds no one. Does this mean Ghost is going to be double fed? It's super weird. I tend to think they have the wrong person in there and are not adding a feeder for either Ghost or HM, but who can say?

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,489 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2023

@Daredevil217 said:

@entrailbucket said:ed up high end PvE considerably.

Hopefully this is their last unsuccessful try at a Chasm counter. Chasm probably won't have much of a problem beating him, so I don't see him pushing Chasm out of the metagame.

Since Chasm’s release…

1. Silver Surfer- He already negates stun. Let’s rework him so he has a power that insta-downs and doesn’t allow insta-revive as well. (Chasm still reigns supreme)

2. Thor- The most brokenist board shaker ever released. Maybe the massive AP gains will help offset Chasm. (Didn’t put a dent in him)

3. Riri Williams- It’s fine, let’s give Jane a partner who has cheap powers to offset the AP drain AND can stunlock Chasm. (Sorry, but no dice)

4. Hit Monkey- Okay, no more playing around. This one is only 7 AP, deals big damage, an extra 35% damage to Chasms, drops them if below 15% health, and kills him for good if downed. (Yeah, no)

5. Wong- Let’s just invent a new status in the game to take care of Chasm. Send Chasm “Away” and Hulk won’t revive without his partner there. (Lol)

6. Kang- Finally someone who counters ONE thing Chasm does PASSIVELY. Will this finally be enough to end the reign of terror (since you know… he does all the other things unchecked), or will lucky counter #7 be the one! (Tune in next month!)

C’mon devs. I’m sure you’re tired of constantly having to shoehorn Chasm counters into every character that’s on your docket for (looks at calendar) half a freaking year (geez). Just nerf the guy, watch the forums burn (or is it just Hound?) and move on.

I will point out that Thor actually preceded Chasm, so while she may have been planned to be a counter to him (since presumably the devs had the stats on Chasm before he was released,) I tend to think they don't know how bad he was before his release, so it was less intentional. Her boardshake is also actively hindered by him as she doesn't start out with her charged tiles, and that's one of the main reasons she isn't terribly effective as a Chasm counter.

Weirdly enough, Riri's "stun lock" does nothing against the AP drain since it happens on the beginning of your turn and Chasm is no longer stunned by Riri. This might actually reduce Kang's effectiveness -- if Chasm's drain happens after Kang gets you your AP back you'll still be down 3 for the turn, but at least you'll get last turn's 3 AP back? We'll have to see how it plays. It's a good change -- I don't think it will substantially move the needle on the meta, but I'll be interested to see how it works regardless.

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards

@GrimSkald said:

@Sekilicious said:

@Bowgentle said:

This actually doesn't make sense at all - 3* HM feeds 4* Ghost, who feeds no one. Does this mean Ghost is going to be double fed? It's super weird. I tend to think they have the wrong person in there and are not adding a feeder for either Ghost or HM, but who can say?

I would guess Hit Monkey no longer feeds Ghost? Your guess is as good as mine.

• liminal_lad
    liminal_lad Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker

@Seph1roth5 said:

I’m going to guess this is an issue with using conversational English versus “game speak.” Chasm’s mechanism seems to “destroy” AP, since there’a no “lost and found” mechanism. ;)

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards

Someone made a good point. Given that Chasm's ap destruction happens after your characters' passive take effects and before cd/repeaters process, this could mean that u need to wait for the third or fourth turn to trigger his regaining of ap, unless the dev deliberately change the order of Chasm's passive ap destructio. To happen before Kang's ap regain.