How do you define MPQ "skill?"

Comments

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards

@Daredevil217 said:

The thing that’s funny to me is when people derive personal worth/value or think they maintain some sort of superiority over others because of their “MPQ skills” (again I think there is very little). These folks are pretty easy to spot.

Clearly. Probably the ones who always try to insinuate who are the others.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,803 Chairperson of the Boards

Yeah, that's actually pretty typical experience. I went through the same thing (in 2014! Coordination has been around for a very long time).

My issue isn't with coordination per se, but the size of the "team." When everyone can trivially reach their goals, it's boring. PvP is fun when you're trying to outrun the zombies chasing you, or when you change it up and play as a zombie. Removing the zombies entirely, or drastically reducing their numbers, changes it from a frantic, terrifying dash to a leisurely stroll.

MPQ PvP at its best is really a survival horror game, not a match-3 -- it's you and your teammates trying to survive against the zombie hordes, and against highly skilled rival clans that are also working together to cross the finish line and stop you from doing so.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards

Someone throw this question to the developer Q&A quickly and see how they define skills and whether MPQ requires skills.

• entrailbucket

@Bad said:

@Daredevil217 said:

The thing that’s funny to me is when people derive personal worth/value or think they maintain some sort of superiority over others because of their “MPQ skills” (again I think there is very little). These folks are pretty easy to spot.

Clearly. Probably the ones who always try to insinuate who are the others.

This is basically why I asked the question. Not so much because I disagree with the idea (as you and daredevil seem to), but because I saw the concept used and it seemed that people were referring to different things. I was interested in finding out about those differences.

• HoundofShadow
    edited January 2023

Assuming that MPQ doesn't require skill and it's simply making matches in certain colours, (firing powers) and then winning matches, what would cause players to ask for nerf or to say that characters are broken?

• entrailbucket

@HoundofShadow said:
    Assuming that MPQ doesn't require skill and it's simply making matches in certain colours, (firing powers) and then winning matches, what would cause players to ask for nerf or to say that characters are broken?

I mean, that one's easy. Assuming there's no skill, then the only variable is the strength of the characters on each team.

• HoundofShadow
    edited January 2023

And assuming all players have the same group of characters that can deal with a particular team of meta in their respective mmr, and we have 1) one group of players who can make it work, 2) the other can't, 3) the other neutral and 4) another group for any others, what would be the factor(s) that cause such a big difference in terms of gameplay/experience? Would it be only RNG, given that no skill is needed?

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards

I love the loaded questions.

• entrailbucket

@HoundofShadow said:
    And assuming all players have the same group of characters that can deal with a particular team of meta in their respective mmr, and we have 1) one group of players who can make it work, 2) the other can't, 3) the other neutral and 4) another group for any others, what would be the factor(s) that cause such a big difference in terms of gameplay/experience? Would it be only RNG, given that no skill is needed?

You've mischaracterized the groups. Everyone is in the group that can "make it work." Do you think these players are just losing to Chasm, 100% of the time? Their winrate is the same (or likely better) than yours. They're complaining because fighting Chasm sucks.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,572 Chairperson of the Boards

@HoundofShadow said:

One unlucky cascade can wipe out a players team or fill up the enemy AP bar so they can unleash havoc, what level of skill was involved? A player can start the game with a board full of matchable colours in powers that can destroy the opposition before they can do anything, what level of skill was involved? So RNG plays a big factor. Are you not the one who says that if you don't start PVE with a favourable board to Shang Chi everything you quit and restart because it is better. What level of skill is required to quit a game?

• HoundofShadow

To give a specific example, using Chasm/iHulk. There are players who can play mirror match without difficulty and there are those who just can't make it work, no matter how hard they try. Is the difference between these two groups down to only RNG?

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards

We did see people complaining about 45 minute matches in the initial Chasm nerf thread (which temporarily revived but seems to have died again). Those seem to be gone for the most part. I did see one on discord but the consensus was it was the player’s fault for not bringing a whales or BW1 team up.

It is interesting that some opinions have shifted from ‘if you Thanos iHulk repeatedly then Hulkasm is quickly and easily managed’ to ‘Chasm is the worst and you can’t speed play through matches’ though. I would guess that Thanos isn’t a common character to prioritize since few players drop to SCL9, maybe? Especially among 550 players who get there through hoarding? I should go peruse a few rosters to see if I can get a feel…

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,572 Chairperson of the Boards

@HoundofShadow said:
    To give a specific example, using Chasm/iHulk. There are players who can play mirror match without difficulty and there are those who just can't make it work, no matter how hard they try. Is the difference between these two groups down to only RNG?

I don't have any stats or the like about this so I can't tell you either way if players can't beat this team with a mirror match or it is just that they find it too annoying to try.

• Bowgentle

I also don't think that there are people who cannot follow instructions like "let your Chasm die first but watch the health differential."
    Again, MPQ is not rocket science as far as match to match gameplay is concerned.

• Bad

If thanos was the great way to fight the chahulk team probably I would see a lot of thanos.
    I never see any thanos.
    Only chahulk teams.
    So because thanos is easily beatable players use another chahulk team for to beat chahulk teams.
    So here you have your absolutely predominant meta who needs only one team to play it. Say goodbye to diversity and of course the godboost which only buffes 2 guys who will be easier to deal with than the meta.
    What I find hard to understand is why there are people defending this, but well to each its own.

• HoundofShadow
    edited January 2023

So, MPQ matches are down to either RNG or personal tolerance threshold of certain meta team, assuming everyone follows instruction? And to conclude, MPQ is all about patience?

• Bowgentle

@Bad said:
    If thanos was the great way to fight the chahulk team probably I would see a lot of thanos.
    I never see any thanos.
    Only chahulk teams.
    So because thanos is easily beatable players use another chahulk team for to beat chahulk teams.
    So here you have your absolutely predominant meta who needs only one team to play it. Say goodbye to diversity and of course the godboost which only buffes 2 guys who will be easier to deal with than the meta.
    What I find hard to understand is why there are people defending this, but well to each its own.

Did you miss Thanos boost week, where everyone ran him with Wanda?
    No Hulkasm anywhere.

• Bad

@Bowgentle said:
    >
    Did you miss Thanos boost week, where everyone ran him with Wanda?
    No Hulkasm anywhere.

Did you miss any other pvp after that one?
    No thanos anywhere.

• entrailbucket
    edited January 2023

@HoundofShadow said:
    So, MPQ matches are down to either RNG or personal tolerance threshold of certain meta team, assuming everyone follows instruction? And to conclude, MPQ is all about patience?

I don't understand how you've reached this conclusion and I really don't see any logic behind it. But are you complaining that players of a casual match-3 superhero phone game, where success in every mode requires winning a lot of fights fast, aren't being patient enough?

What game are you playing?