Grand Experiment 2: Treading Water in the SCL 10 Post-Shardpocalypse

Comments

• Sp1d3r
    Sp1d3r Posts: 186 Tile Toppler

@KGB said:

@Sp1d3r said:

@Bowgentle said:
    Yeah you need to hoard to make sure you can get 300 pulls every 3 months to champ all latest 5s.

Thanks I'll start that today and see how I get on

This number might be down quite a bit now given there are potentially 2 covers for each 5* available via Boss events. That means you only need 11 covers per character now (again, assuming your in an alliance that finished round 8) or 12 if only you make progression in boss events.

Plus of course all the shards from CL10 (assuming you do that CL).
    Plus potential retro rewards from 4* if you happen to have any at L280 and the new 5* gets a 4* feeder at release.

Not sure what the math adds up to, but I suspect you can earn ~3-5 covers from all the above which dramatically lowers how many pulls you need from Latest. I know that since early last year I've covered all but 2 5* (and those are at 11 covers after the recent retro feeders) without opening anything close to 300 tokens.

KGB

Thanks I'll keep this in mind..my alliance does finish round 8 in group events and I do play CL10.. can't believe I've been doing it wrong all this time

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,902 Chairperson of the Boards

@dianetics said:

@KGB said
    This number might be down quite a bit now given there are potentially 2 covers for each 5* available via Boss events. That means you only need 11 covers per character now (again, assuming you’re in an alliance that finished round 8) or 12 if only you make progression in boss events.

Plus of course all the shards from CL10 (assuming you do that CL).
    Plus potential retro rewards from 4* if you happen to have any at L280 and the new 5* gets a 4* feeder at release.

Not sure what the math adds up to, but I suspect you can earn ~3-5 covers from all the above which dramatically lowers how many pulls you need from Latest. I know that since early last year I've covered all but 2 5* (and those are at 11 covers after the recent retro feeders) without opening anything close to 300 tokens.

KGB

Moving forward we cannot depend on bonus covers from retro rewards.
    If they keep boss events rewards, then it’s most likely 2 covers from boss events and 3 covers from full progression.
    We will still need to open nearly 200 tokens every 3 months to keep everyone champed.

Yes, but 200 is vastly different than 300.

KGB

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2023

One way is missing out here. Play the game as a 5* player. My way.
    Pull from LL and the 5* with more complete power covers (4 or 5 it's better), choose it as your champion. Then favorite the 3* and 4* feeding him. Also don't loose sight of the best 4* playing with him. Use 720 cps to upgrade his powers. If you never let cps without earning, in ~8 months that 5* will be champed. Now cps will be easy to earn.
    Save and save, on 4 months 180 pulls will be possible to get. Pull on LL, probably 2 5s will be champed. Repeat and repeat, now all 5s will be champed and 4s on progression.
    Now all 5
    s are pretty good, I did it with one of the worst, kingping.
    This is a really competitive way.
    I have all characters rosted, day 1508, 43 5*s champed, previous to kitty I have really few champed.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards

Use 720 cp to upgrade power? :o

• Grizwald
    Grizwald Posts: 100 Tile Toppler

A 5* will be in Latest Legends for around three months. You can earn 2 covers through Shards in CL10. Then a potential 2 more covers in Boss events. You will need to pull between 9 and 11 covers across that three month period to champ a given 5*. Which is between 180 and 220 pulls in three months. Or 60 to 74 a month.
    What I would do is track your LL token and Command Point income for a few weeks and see if you are making the 180 and 220 to keep up with that. If you are, then you'll be able to keep up with Championing all the new releases. If you're not, you will need to find ways to make up that difference. Every 5* having a feeder helps. If you have extra CP, you can look at pulling from other vaults.
    I have been able to keep up on champing the Latest for the last year by doing this. Some were a little bit closer than others, but it can be done.

• Sp1d3r

@Grizwald said:
    A 5* will be in Latest Legends for around three months. You can earn 2 covers through Shards in CL10. Then a potential 2 more covers in Boss events. You will need to pull between 9 and 11 covers across that three month period to champ a given 5*. Which is between 180 and 220 pulls in three months. Or 60 to 74 a month.
    What I would do is track your LL token and Command Point income for a few weeks and see if you are making the 180 and 220 to keep up with that. If you are, then you'll be able to keep up with Championing all the new releases. If you're not, you will need to find ways to make up that difference. Every 5* having a feeder helps. If you have extra CP, you can look at pulling from other vaults.
    I have been able to keep up on champing the Latest for the last year by doing this. Some were a little bit closer than others, but it can be done.

I started my hoard 2 days ago so far I have 60cp and 2 LLs I'll see how I get on

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,805 Chairperson of the Boards

The trigger for version 2 of this thread was the introduction of scl10 and the commensurate change to rewards, plus changes in the metagame and experiments in roster building strategy.

Has the game/metagame/reward structure changed enough that it's time for version 3? Has your goal changed now that you've championed everybody?You're certainly using a much different strategy than you were in the first post of version 2.

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2023

You don’t even have to track your acquisition. 220 pulls is about 25 pulls per cover if you already have 4 from Events and PvE. 300 is about 23/cover. Both are higher than the 21/cover expected from a 1/7 pull rate. It is easy to hoard until until a character is about to rotate then calculate how many pulls you likely need to fully cover a character. As an example if I need 7 covers for a character I’m pretty comfortable pulling if I have 175 hoarded. Keep in mind rng might have different plans so more pulls is better, especially at small samples.

• Sp1d3r

@Sekilicious said:
    You don’t even have to track your acquisition. 220 pulls is about 25 pulls per cover if you already have 4 from Events and PvE. 300 is about 23/cover. Both are higher than the 21/cover expected from a 1/7 pull rate. It is easy to hoard until until a character is about to rotate then calculate how many pulls you likely need to fully cover a character. As an example if I need 7 covers for a character I’m pretty comfortable pulling if I have 175 hoarded. Keep in mind rng might have different plans so more pulls is better, especially at small samples.

I might be missing somthing but how do u get 5* covers from pve events? Or do I need to play pvp aswel for extra shards?

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards

@Sp1d3r said:

@Sekilicious said:

I might be missing somthing but how do u get 5* covers from pve events? Or do I need to play pvp aswel for extra shards?

Characters are featured 4 times, that's 4x250 shards in CL10 from progression only.

• Sp1d3r

@Bowgentle said:

@Sp1d3r said:

@Sekilicious said:

Characters are featured 4 times, that's 4x250 shards in CL10 from progression only.

Cheers I never knew that.. I've just started hitting CL10 properly I've hit max progression in the last 4 events so hopefully I'll start to notice the difference soon

• Sp1d3r

How can I find out when the 5* will be swapping out of the LL store

• Bowgentle

@Sp1d3r said:

It's always start of pvp season.
    Now, we have no idea when the next season will start, so...
    Might be this Thursday, might be next week, might be who knows when.

She-Hulk will rotate out.

• Sp1d3r

@Bowgentle said:

@Sp1d3r said:

It's always start of pvp season.
    Now, we have no idea when the next season will start, so...
    Might be this Thursday, might be next week, might be who knows when.

She-Hulk will rotate out.

Thanks.. I've actually done alright on she hulk she's at 5,3,1 with 1 saved cover and that's with pulling as I go

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards

@entrailbucket said:
    The trigger for version 2 of this thread was the introduction of scl10 and the commensurate change to rewards, plus changes in the metagame and experiments in roster building strategy.

Has the game/metagame/reward structure changed enough that it's time for version 3? Has your goal changed now that you've championed everybody?You're certainly using a much different strategy than you were in the first post of version 2.

It’s a good question; at this point my only real goal is trying to spend CP into Classic and keep pace with new releases. I don’t know if I have anything like a meaningful “y’all should do it like this” block of metrics to post here, primarily because I benefitted so much from all the retro shuffling they just did. Maybe I’ll see what ‘23 brings in the way of changes to figure out if there is actually a new thread to be started.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    edited January 2023

Finally got that last black I needed for 1* Yelena, so my 1* tier is complete.

Currently every non-NEW unique 4 and 5 are champed till the season rolls over, I have two recently flipped 3 I’m rebuilding.

Juggernaut seems to be gaining levels quite fast, he is currently level 352. Looks like specific dates of posts get contracted down to just month/year so it’s hard to pin down a shards/day metric just using the forum.

• rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards

With Riri and Hit-Monkey in, I finally hit the milestone. All 5* are now champed. I have rostered all the 1* too. The only "unfinished" is my 12 cover Abomination.

Which leaves me with the question: Who do I target now for shards? My targets have always been to feed a specific 5* that I was chasing, but now?

3* - it's Hit-Monkey/Arcade to get them max champed

4* - maybe Polaris / Juggs to get them maxed out too? Or maybe just generally looking to raise the levels of some of my lagging 4* (I'll be the only person targeting Talos with 4* shards)

5* - no idea! I guess Wong, but that's next season. Maybe whoever has the most shards to see if i can start flipping levels? Or one of the metas?

• Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 718 Critical Contributor

I now have a champed 5* Hit Monkey. My Yelena is at 1/5.

• ThaRoadWarrior

I've chosen to walk my 5* shard around to whichever 5* is within 100 shards of a level until "next out" is somebody I don't have. I didn't want to just park them on a "meta" character so that i'd have just one much higher leveled than the others character. that feels like it would feel like the single 5* champ MMR days, and I'd have to use that one character always, so I've been looking for more even leveling.

• Bowgentle

@ThaRoadWarrior said:
    I've chosen to walk my 5* shard around to whichever 5* is within 100 shards of a level until "next out" is somebody I don't have. I didn't want to just park them on a "meta" character so that i'd have just one much higher leveled than the others character. that feels like it would feel like the single 5* champ MMR days, and I'd have to use that one character always, so I've been looking for more even leveling.

I mean, you need 166 pulls for one measly cover.
    I don't think you need to worry of that one character racing ahead.