** Ares (Dark Avengers) **

Comments

• PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 526 Critical Contributor
    Viorala wrote:
    Let's say we never use Ares against a team that gets mileage out of his gift of green with Onslaught and we love Sunder to pieces: What is the best build, 4/4/5 or 5/3/5?

I went with 4/4/5 and I like it for those reasons.

Five in green lowered the ap costs but if I use it, I want to finish the other team so I try to use it with as much ap as possible.

I didn't go 3/5/5 either because I didn't think I would meet the requirements for the full benefits of red very often.
  • PorkBelly wrote:
    Viorala wrote:
    Let's say we never use Ares against a team that gets mileage out of his gift of green with Onslaught and we love Sunder to pieces: What is the best build, 4/4/5 or 5/3/5?

I went with 4/4/5 and I like it for those reasons.

Five in green lowered the ap costs but if I use it, I want to finish the other team so I try to use it with as much ap as possible.

I didn't go 3/5/5 either because I didn't think I would meet the requirements for the full benefits of red very often.

Excellent, that's the build I went with but I was still unsure. Thanks, that helps a lot.
  • Thor's yellow is quite overpowered but his green (for 2*) isn't necessarily better than Ares. Ares's green is usable very early which is very important dealing with a character like OBW or even The Hood.

Ares is a perfectly decent choice for 2*. Just don't expect him to stay at full health for very long.
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Having just got Ares to 85 I have to admit i am a little underwhelmed. He seems worse than Thor in every way. Has anyone found a good team/use for this guy??

Ares, OBW and Daken are great together.

I'd just like to add, regarding the comparison between Ares and Thor. If they played 1 on 1, it would be a different story. But if paired with OBW especially, imo, Ares becomes better than Thor because he has quicker abilities than him. And OBW is there to slow the oposing side even more and help with self damaging and retrieving green gifted away.
  • OBW + Ares is AMAZING. Onslaught followed by Aggressive Recon is savage since you take back three of the Green AP you just gave them. Sunder followed by Anti-Gravity Device is great as well since you can immediately gain back most of the health you lose from Sunder and not have to rely on the countdown tile. And sometimes, you get to go to Magic Christmas land and have turns like Onslaught -> Aggressive Recon -> Sunder -> 25% HP Rampage -> Anti-Gravity Device. I'm pretty sure you can't get better at the 2* level than Ares/OBW/Daken. There's simply too much synergy there to ignore.
  • unimatrix
    unimatrix Posts: 228
    I agree with mathochism. Obw and ares are lethal. The 3rd character just need to have black AP usage. BP, punisher or psylocke is a good option.
  • Jathro
    Jathro Posts: 323 Mover and Shaker
    This guy has been a godsend in this simulator event. I had heard how good he was but never had a chance/desire to level him because I was missing covers and focused leveling others.

I was lucky enough to get the last of his covers shortly before the event and once I saw he was powered-up, I just pumped as much iso into him as I could find.

I'm sure it's been said before a million times, but this guy is well worth the investment, especially if you're just moving from 1* to 2*, and has a good use on a lot of 3* rosters as well. Like others, I've been using him with OBW (all 6 colors covered right there) and have been having fun rotating in other characters to see who works best. Love this guy icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • I like using him in the desert (and also the jungle to a lesser degree) with Modern Storm. He kills with Oasis and Onslaught.
  • Ares has been a ton of fun in the simulator event, you use Ares OBW and Hood and throw sunder down then intimidation so it doesn't get matched away. Onslaught left and right to ensure maximum satisfaction, rinse repeat icon_e_smile.gif
  • Jathro
    Jathro Posts: 323 Mover and Shaker
    Cyvil wrote:
    throw sunder down then intimidation
    been doing that in the outlaw tourney too. good times
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jathro wrote:
    This guy has been a godsend in this simulator event. I had heard how good he was but never had a chance/desire to level him because I was missing covers and focused leveling others.

I was lucky enough to get the last of his covers shortly before the event and once I saw he was powered-up, I just pumped as much iso into him as I could find.

I'm sure it's been said before a million times, but this guy is well worth the investment, especially if you're just moving from 1* to 2*, and has a good use on a lot of 3* rosters as well. Like others, I've been using him with OBW (all 6 colors covered right there) and have been having fun rotating in other characters to see who works best. Love this guy icon_e_biggrin.gif

Spot on. Ares is the kind of guy that 3*'s are afraid of as that green can wipe someone out in a single pop, and Sunder is deadly. I have lost so my characters to a suicide Sunder in PvP that I will debate skipping the team if I don't think I can kill Ares within a reasonable amount of time, and if he's buffed like in the Divine tourney...ouch. The only issue with Ares is that the downside of his green can cost you matches if you are not careful. Rule #1 of playing with Ares, take out their Green damagers right away.
  • I accidentally pumped Devil Dinosaur with a bunch of green, haha. Match ended very shortly after.
  • Phaserhawk
    SteveS wrote:
    I accidentally pumped Devil Dinosaur with a bunch of green, haha. Match ended very shortly after.

Ah yes, you cannot violate law #1 of Ares or you will perish shortly
  • angua51
    angua51 Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
    I finished in top 10 in recent Simulator event and got 2 Lazy Cap covers (UGH!) but loads of ISO purely on strength of Ares with OBW helping. He is truly a god. Don't be scared of running Green at 5. It hits so quickly and repeatedly that even Green users like Devil Dinosaur can get in 1 hit at the most before they die.
  • This past event really opened my eyes to how good Ares can be. I had him fully-covered, but only leveled to maybe 20 before this event began. Once I saw that he was buffed, I just started power leveling him with any ISO I got my hands on. At the end of the event he sits at level 76, in a 4/4/5 build. I was in the process of leveling up 2* Thor, but now I'm going to max Ares out before I decide if I even want to continue with Thor.
  • Phaserhawk
    Jkells wrote:
    This past event really opened my eyes to how good Ares can be. I had him fully-covered, but only leveled to maybe 20 before this event began. Once I saw that he was buffed, I just started power leveling him with any ISO I got my hands on. At the end of the event he sits at level 76, in a 4/4/5 build. I was in the process of leveling up 2* Thor, but now I'm going to max Ares out before I decide if I even want to continue with Thor.

Ares and Thor are interchangeable in most comps, they generally don't work well together, that being said, if you are facing a team with lots of green abilties, then Ares does become a liability and Thor would be better, no matter how much stealing OBW does.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    Jkells wrote:
    This past event really opened my eyes to how good Ares can be. I had him fully-covered, but only leveled to maybe 20 before this event began. Once I saw that he was buffed, I just started power leveling him with any ISO I got my hands on. At the end of the event he sits at level 76, in a 4/4/5 build. I was in the process of leveling up 2* Thor, but now I'm going to max Ares out before I decide if I even want to continue with Thor.

Ares and Thor are interchangeable in most comps, they generally don't work well together, that being said, if you are facing a team with lots of green abilties, then Ares does become a liability and Thor would be better, no matter how much stealing OBW does.

Yeah, my Thor is at 68 right now, and I still find him pretty useful, so I'll still level him up. I just can't believe I neglected Ares until this event icon_cry.gif
  • Phaserhawk
    Jkells wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Jkells wrote:

Yeah, my Thor is at 68 right now, and I still find him pretty useful, so I'll still level him up. I just can't believe I neglected Ares until this event icon_cry.gif

Just wait until you get really good with Ares/OBW combo, it's not just the use of green to steal it back, my favorite if you can time it right is to have Ares take some damage, use Sunder, drop below 25% of max health, activate Rampage, then use Onslaught, steal AP back, and then heal. When the CD timer goes off on Sunder you get even more health back you can bring your below 25% health Ares up to a decent health. He's actually one character you don't always want to use a health pack on as that Rampage can be lethal to a team, especially when's he's buffed, 1513 AoE damage for 10AP isn't terrible.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Can someone tell me if I should bother leveling my Ares?

He's currently 4/3/3 and level 6. I haven't bothered to put any ISO into him because I already have maxed out 2* Wolvie and 2* Thor which obviously share the same colors. I'm currently sitting on 86K ISO that I've been saving to eventually pump into 3* characters one I have enough covers. Here's my truncated roster.

2* Thor, level 85, 3/5/5
    2* Wolvie, level 85, 5/5/3
    2* mStorm, level 77, 5/2/5
    3* Doom, level 64, 3/3
    3* Thor, level 64, 2/2/3
    2* Daken, level 61, 5/4
    2* OBW, level 53, 3/2/4
    3* Hulk, level 53, 3/1/2
    3* Cap, level 51, 2/2/2
    2* Mag MN, level 50, 5/2/5
    3* GSBW, level 43, 3/1/1
    3* Panther, level 41, 3/2/1
    3* Punisher, level 41, 1/2/2
    3* Wolvie, level 41, 2/1/2
    3* Psylocke, level 28, 3/1/3

I left out all 1* characters and any 2*, 3* and 4* characters that don't matter for the sake of this discussion (too few covers or not interested in leveling at all).

So should I bother with Ares at all? Wait until he's 4/4/5 before leveling him up? Or just hang onto him for my tank team?
  • Phaserhawk
    Level him up, he's worth it