Android Black Screen Crash Bug (Update 12/17: Full Fix Deployed)

S0kun
S0kun ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 335 Mover and Shaker
edited December 2022 in MPQ General Discussion

Edit: 12/21 Update: Compensation to players affected by this bug is being sent out in the form of max placement/progression rewards for the missed events during the crash period. All players will also receive a Namora cover.

Edit: 12/17 Update: We've now released R268 to Google, which fixes the black screen issue and should also fix any remaining issues with retaliation pin crashes! We've also submitted versions to Apple and Amazon so that versions match for all players that are playing multi-platform.

Edit: 12/9 Update: Update: We have released R267 to Google! This is a partial fix however, we're still working with Google for a full fix. While our testing has shown that this fixes both crashes on startup and retaliation pin crashes, we've still got some devices that are crashing and are investigating. We'll keep on working on this through the weekend to get things right.

Hi players. Wanted to let you know that we're aware of the black screen crash issue that's being reported by the community and that we have actively been working on a fix since we noticed it.

The issue has been identified and a fix is in the works. Unfortunately it isn't something that we can easily relieve without deploying a new build so this means that Android players will see a new Android only R267 build that specifically addresses this issue. Assuming this build fixes everything, the next release will be build R268 for all platforms.

We don't currently have a timeline for this fix, but are hoping things can get submitted and deployed within the next few days.

Thanks again for your patience!

Tagged:

Comments

• DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2022

Looks like this will be a next week thing.

Feels bad considering all the rewards and what not this subset of players are missing.

Oh well

• Clouse13
    Clouse13 Posts: 1 Just Dropped In

Is there a way to be notified when the fix/patch is out or do we need to keep checking the forum or app store for an update?

• Plissken666
    Plissken666 Posts: 7 Just Dropped In

Really hope this gets up and running by tomorrow. Having heart surgery and need something to do in recovery other than watch hallmark Christmas movies. Immoral_hulk sad.

• techgrunt
    techgrunt Posts: 22 Just Dropped In

@Plissken666 said:
    Really hope this gets up and running by tomorrow. Having heart surgery and need something to do in recovery other than watch hallmark Christmas movies. Immoral_hulk sad.

Good luck tomorrow! I hope you surgery goes very well!

• LFChikarason
    LFChikarason Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker

@Plissken666 said:

good luck with that operation!

• S0kun
    S0kun ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 335 Mover and Shaker

@Clouse13 said:
    Is there a way to be notified when the fix/patch is out or do we need to keep checking the forum or app store for an update?

I'll post to the forum as soon as the build gets released, but please also turn on the notification icon on our Twitter account (https://www.twitter.com/marvelpuzzle) as I'll be posting there as well.

• killahKlown
    killahKlown Posts: 577 Critical Contributor

Generous and relevant compensation. Thank you

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2022

@IceIX said:
    Update: People are asking about compensation, and I've got some news on that!

Affected players: We know who you are. I mean, you're crashing, we see that. So to anyone who is affected, we'll be compensating by crediting with max placement/progression rewards from the missed events. While we unfortunately can't add points to the current Versus season, at least you won't be missing out on anything rewards-wise.

Player-base: Just because you weren't crashing doesn't mean you weren't peripherally affected. You could be in an Alliance with an affected player and lost Alliance placement, could have been set up to do a........... club activity, maybe some shield hopping, etc. Since it's impossible to tell who is affected and who isn't, we'll be doing a blanket gift of a Namora cover to the player-base when we get all this fixed up.

Hope this news helps tide you all over, and truly sorry for the inconvenience!

Please a cover other than red 🤣
    Apart from that, thank you - considering we usually get blanket compensation, I'm assuming this takes quite a bit of work!

Edit: actually red is fine, mine is 3/4/4, huh.

• Korvac
    Korvac Posts: 3 Just Dropped In

Thank you.

• DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards

The compensation takes the sting off.

Thank you very much for the update.

• LFChikarason

So, I'm gonna nitpick just a bit, we haven't received said rewards as the issue hasn't been resolved:

• crediting max progression from the missed events. I was halfway through the Unstable ISO PVE, not missed, but not completed. Guessing I won't get it for that
    • also, guessing based on the time table, I'll be missing the Webbed Wonder PVE, will that max progression include the Howard cover?
    • I finished the Namora PVE, but looks like we'll be missing at least two more PVPs. While we're get max rewards for those, missing the points will lower my (and my alliance's) season end rewards
    • lastly, are the Deadpool dailys and that last LLT from the Namora included in this as well?
      I'll revisit this and if they make good on all this, I'll eat my John Cena hat
  • killahKlown
    killahKlown Posts: 577 Critical Contributor

He already said they can't add season points. Not sure how you expect to revisit them making good on this point when he very clearly said it wouldn't happen. Like you're insisting on being let down.

Also... blanket namora reward to the player base. Apparently you don't realize you are part of the player base? So yes you will receive it too.

• Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards

@IceIX said:
    Update: People are asking about compensation, and I've got some news on that!

Affected players: We know who you are. I mean, you're crashing, we see that. So to anyone who is affected, we'll be compensating by crediting with max placement/progression rewards from the missed events. While we unfortunately can't add points to the current Versus season, at least you won't be missing out on anything rewards-wise.

Player-base: Just because you weren't crashing doesn't mean you weren't peripherally affected. You could be in an Alliance with an affected player and lost Alliance placement, could have been set up to do a........... club activity, maybe some shield hopping, etc. Since it's impossible to tell who is affected and who isn't, we'll be doing a blanket gift of a Namora cover to the player-base when we get all this fixed up.

Hope this news helps tide you all over, and truly sorry for the inconvenience!

@IceIX
    What about those of us who play on multiple devices? Not being able to play on my Android led to non optional play. Since you see the crash reports/logs of those of us affected, do we still get full compensation, or are we out of luck because we were able to play on another device? Thanks.

• LFChikarason

No need to be rude about it, just asking questions in the hopes for some clarity. I'm let down I can't play, I'll be very happy once the issue is resolved

• DenDevil
    DenDevil Posts: 10 Just Dropped In

To be honest, the rewards don't make up for the frustration at not being able to play at all today. I had not missed a day in years and I am sad to see my streak end due to this bug. Hope that it gets fixed soon.

• ilikecake
    ilikecake Posts: 12 Just Dropped In

Feeling extremely frustrated by the length of time this is taking to sort out. I've been a daily player almost since launch, and it's so disappointing opening the app to the black screen every time.

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,113 Chairperson of the Boards

Thanks for the compensation. it is much appreciated. Not just for the rewards but also for the recognition of the impact to players. I really hope it's sorted soon for everyone's sake.