Quality of 4* characters

Options
System
System Posts: 1,024 Chairperson of the Boards
edited November 2022 in MPQ General Discussion
This discussion was created from comments split from: New Character - **** Namora (Origin) ****.

Feel free to continue this discussion here.

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,161 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I mean it’s the 13whateverth 4*, they can’t all be Polaris right?

• skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 973 Critical Contributor
    Options

@ThaRoadWarrior said:

Like Syndrome says...

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,396 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2022
    Options

She seems like she is already in the dust bin. As a general guess she would have 12-20% increased dmg.
    She is not going to replace Th4nos or J1ggs in a BRB winfinite.
    It seems like the character dev team on 4s got replaced with the old 5* devs.
    I do like how the purple works though, so… there is that. I do wonder though if the trap tiles when placed are required to be all the same color or they can be different colors.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2022
    Options

@ThaRoadWarrior said:

Which is why I have been saying that additional dev and player resources spent on the 4* tier are mostly wasted. It's basically just a holding action to prevent the 5* release schedule from being so fast that the cp economy needs a rebalance (and of course the release rate can't slow down because roster crunch = HP purchases = money!).

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,161 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Got to have a business model.

They could release a support in the rotation instead perhaps.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,544 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Vhailorx said:

@ThaRoadWarrior said:

Which is why I have been saying that additional dev and player resources spent on the 4* tier are mostly wasted. It's basically just a holding action to prevent the 5* release schedule from being so fast that the cp economy needs a rebalance (and of course the release rate can't slow down because roster crunch = HP purchases = money!).

Except the 4* tier is basically how new players access the game now. Waaaaaay back when I started, it was the 3* tier. I was a 3* player with IM, Widow, and SW for a while. Now, with the increased rate of 4* cover acquisition, you can practically jump straight to that tier. And as long as that's the case, they need to release characters that promote what else Marvel is doing across various media platforms.

• Vhailorx
    edited November 2022
    Options

@Borstock said:

@Vhailorx said:

@ThaRoadWarrior said:

Except the 4* tier is basically how new players access the game now. Waaaaaay back when I started, it was the 3* tier. I was a 3* player with IM, Widow, and SW for a while. Now, with the increased rate of 4* cover acquisition, you can practically jump straight to that tier. And as long as that's the case, they need to release characters that promote what else Marvel is doing across various media platforms.

I think the revival of the 3* tier suggests that BCS thinks the 4* tier is a problem for new players. Too many characrers, too few targeting opportunities. And the spigot from 4* covers doesn't really open until you hit the higher CLs, so i think there is still a real hurdle between the 1/2 into and entering the real heart of the game which is the LONG 4-->5 transition.

All of which is to say that namora is a perfect example of the current trouble with the 4* tier. Bad characters are a waste of time, even pretty good characters are just benchwarmers nowadays, and any truly great characters are meta-bendingly strong. Namora seems to be in the first category, but even if I am too low in evaluating her on paper, she would still just be in the middle category.

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

The neverending discussion.

@Vhailorx said:
    All of which is to say that namora is a perfect example of the current trouble with the 4* tier. Bad characters are a waste of time, even pretty good characters are just benchwarmers nowadays, and any truly great characters are meta-bendingly strong. Namora seems to be in the first category, but even if I am too low in evaluating her on paper, she would still just be in the middle category.

It's a benchwarmer for you, and certainly for me.
    But it could be a stepping stone for a player starting now, being this game, as many may know, a gacha game.

• Vhailorx
    Options

@Bad said:
    The neverending discussion.

@Vhailorx said:

It's a benchwarmer for you, and certainly for me.
    But it could be a stepping stone for a player starting now, being this game, as many may know, a gacha game.

Not really. 4s are definitely stepping stone stones for new players, but there are literally dozens of better options and almost every player that sticks with the game long enough to build even a small 4 bench will understand the game well enough to go for polaris and Karnak etc rather than this bench fodder. Adding new 4*s to the game doesn't really change that, it just swaps the name of bench fodder rather than altering the experience at all.

• Bad
    Options

Yes and everyone is free to pass on this character or to roster they.
    However, do you see that shinning helping of shardmas coming soon? It's a gift for the all-rostering players.
    Rostering all characters grants full access to all rewards, being it playing all nodes, farming, or having shardmas.
    So new 4*s release, being good or bad, it's not something players can discuss, vote, or decide: it's just how these games work.

• dianetics
    Options

We can always discuss the new 4s being released, and we literally voted on Black Knight this year.
    True we don’t have control over how many 4s are being released but we can give feedback to the devs, and we know they are listening.
    The quality of 4
    s this year vs last year is just not as good.
    Previously, it was fairly common place for people to question why the 4* devs weren’t developing 5* characters, and I feel like that has flipped this year. There have been more quality 5* releases than 4* releases this year.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2022
    Options

Many moons ago there was a forum based "battle of the 4* tournament which I think Captain Marvel might have won (wonder where she would rank now)? Anyway - I wonder if it is even possible to rank the 4's any more - there are just so many and too many of them are pretty indistinguishable from another quality wise. Maybe a Top 10 might still be doable, with a middle to bottom125-ish (I have lost count how many we have).

• dianetics
    Options

We could do and F-S tier listing,but the tier is too fat for a definitive 1-130 ranking.

• Bad
    Options

By the way this namora release has been amazing.
    Devs explicitly said our feedback was important and they just changed the character. We are listened more then ever and this incidence could mark a new future era on where (hopefully) there won't be more DOA characters. If our feedback continues being reliable, that's it.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Bad said:
    By the way this namora release has been amazing.
    Devs explicitly said our feedback was important and they just changed the character. We are listened more then ever and this incidence could mark a new future era on where (hopefully) there won't be more DOA characters. If our feedback continues being reliable, that's it.

I have it on excellent authority that Yelena, Ultron, Gargantos and Electro all need at least 3 feeders each. :)

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Are Electro and Gargantos DOA? Garg maybe if you don’t have Hawkeye. Electro remains a great AoE counter. mThor appreciates her feeding Yellow.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Electro is awesome. I feel bad for player who skipped her because they think Wanda is better. As shown, they complement each other with Elektra.

As for Gargantos, his black power is actually great against Chasm because the entire damage is permanent damage. I teamed him with Eddie Brock to deal about 50k permanent damage if I didn't remember wrongly. If you have 10 enemy protect tiles out (via Eddie Brock) Gargantos will deal 10 * permanent damage stated. Otherwise, I still like Gargantos/Hawkeye + Emma and future awesome red power. :D

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Boosted Gargs is very, very decent.