Game will not load over mobile data

JSP869
JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor

This morning I was playing the game at home on my tablet (Galaxy S7), but when I was riding the bus into work I attempted to boot up the game on my phone (Pixel 6 Pro) and got the spinning "Check internet connection" wheel of death.

Every other app I've used this morning works perfectly over mobile data, it's only MPQ that will not load up. The Google Play "greeting" even appears when the game first loads up, but the game never loads beyond the first screen with the characters popping in.

I just went to my local Starbucks, signed in on their WiFi, and MPQ booted up first time, and I was able to knock out the last few wins to get the Deathlok cover & shards (with 20 minutes remaining in the event), but I've now returned to my office and MPQ once again is not loading up.

I've checked the app settings to make sure it's not somehow been restricted to WiFi data only, but Background data and Unrestricted data usage are both 'on'.

I had no problem playing the game last night on my bus ride home, it's only today that it's refusing to load while not connected to WiFi.

Comments

• JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2022

The game would not work at all yesterday while I was on mobile data. I was not able to play it on the bus ride home, it still showed the "Check internet connection" even though no other Apps had any trouble accessing the internet.

When I got home I opened the game (from its suspended state) and it still showed "Check internet connection", but as I was now connected to my home's WiFi that message quickly disappeared and within seconds the game loaded to the main screen.

As a test this morning I've just now turned off my phone's WiFi and...Check Internet Connection. My phone's O/S is fully up-to-date, there are no pending updates, and certainly none for MPQ. I've just turned WiFi on my phone back on and...the game loaded.

I've also posted about this on Reddit and there are multiple other users reporting the same or very similar issue.

For some inexplicable reason Marvel Puzzle Quest will now only load for me while I'm on WiFi. It will not load while using mobile data, and it is the only app that is doing this.