Help us with feedback for a new feature!

Magic:PQ Support Team
Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,259 Chairperson of the Boards
edited November 2022 in MtGPQ General Discussion

Hello everyone,
Based on the feedback we've received over the years, our team has been working on a Matchmaking Rework and a new season-based Ranked System. Our team has already started sketching out an idea of how this might work, and we would like to share this idea with you now.
The new Classic PvP tiers will replace the current color mastery-based reward system, in order to start rewarding players for being active during a season instead of giving better prizes only for players who collected and played enough regardless of their current performances. It will contain 6 tiers:

• Bronze Tier
  • Silver Tier
  • Gold Tier
  • Platinum Tier
  • Diamond Tier
  • Mythic Tier

All tiers besides Mythic will have 3 levels that players need to advance through in order to tier up. Players will be able to tier up by winning matches in events marked as competitive. The Mythic tier will work as a bonus tier for the top players of each season, according to the maximum points that players on Diamond reach. The progression is planned to be as follows:

Bronze III ➡ Bronze II ➡ Bronze I
                                                            ⬇
                                       Silver III ➡ Silver II ➡ Silver I
                                                            ⬇
                                        Gold III ➡ Gold II ➡ Gold I
                                                            ⬇
                                 Platinum III ➡ Platinum II ➡ Platinum I
                                                            ⬇
                                 Diamond III ➡ Diamond II ➡ Diamond I
                                                            ⬇
                                                         Mythic

We would also like to hear from you: In this new Ranked System, Color Mastery will remain as a legacy feature. What would you like to see in the game to give Color Mastery a new use?

The new Matchmaking will be based on a weight system. The purpose of this system is to make Matchmaking as fair as possible considering the following factors:

• Tier
  • Planeswalker Level
  • Overall Deck Card Rarity
  • Planeswalker Colors

Comments

• jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards

No feedback yet
    Just excitement at the very nature of this discussion

• ReadingRambo
    ReadingRambo Posts: 19 Just Dropped In

yesssssssssss, do ittttttttttt

• Tezzeret
    Tezzeret Posts: 223 Tile Toppler

I've never been more proud of you guys. This is an update worth celebrating!!!!

• Tezzeret

As a thought as your mastery of a specific color goes up so does the percentage of unlocking non duplicate cards within thay color. That way players can chase and advance with the color wheel of their play style (this is a big ask... if you disregard this and just do the above I will be ultra stoked)

• gozmaster
    gozmaster Posts: 160 Tile Toppler

This.... This Makes Goz.... Happy.

Let the Tournament... BEGIN!!!!!!

• Babo21
    Babo21 Posts: 37 Just Dropped In

Sounds great!
    It also has the potential to go horribly wrong..... Depending on how you implement it!
    But, if you do it right it will be one of the best changes to the game yet! Crossing fingers and hoping for the best 🙂

• AoMadness
    AoMadness Posts: 76 Match Maker
    edited November 2022

My suggestion for the future

I would love you to alow us to transfer X amount of runes a season to cracribg orbs, this allows players on lower bands to craft certain cards with X per season you put a fair restriction on someone who has 2mill crafting every cards In the game. Plus there should be a fair conversion 1k runes equivalent to 10 orbs as an example

My other thing is bronze to gold don't get penalised for losing, a lot of rank system have a system were lose X matchs you go back a rank every season, so make it that when you hit plat then it becomes harder and more competiv2.

Season reset, so new set new season everyone go's back to bronze this gives every equal playing field, and dosnt effect cards unless there's a rotation then every starting at bronze during rotation won't feel as rough.

Don't be a **** with rewards Don't make it were bronze gets peanuts and the game is a drag and mythic get silver plate of rewards. I'm not saying tone down rewards because the higer you go you need betters rewards, instead make it easier for bronze players to progress

• Tezzeret

Since you only loose a match like 1 out of 100 matches I don't think falling backwards will be an issue. If they make the rewards way better as you grind it out every season and have a season end mega reward depending on where you land this could be cool.

Also somehow have a coalition season reset. Keep the overall coalition points because I know top coalitions like the one I'm in are sensitive about it. But having each season have a coalition ranking with top coalitions at seasons end get an ULTRA reward

• gozmaster
    gozmaster Posts: 160 Tile Toppler

@AoMadness said:

I would love you to alow us to transfer X amount of runes a season to cracribg orbs, this allows players on lower bands to craft certain cards with X per season you put a fair restriction on someone who has 2mill crafting every cards In the game. Plus there should be a fair conversion 1k runes equivalent to 10 orbs as an example

My other thing is bronze to gold don't get penalised for losing, a lot of rank system have a system were lose X matchs you go back a rank every season, so make it that when you hit plat then it becomes harder and more competiv2.

Season reset, so new set new season everyone go's back to bronze this gives every equal playing field, and dosnt effect cards unless there's a rotation then every starting at bronze during rotation won't feel as rough.

Don't be a **** with rewards Don't make it were bronze gets peanuts and the game is a drag and mythic get silver plate of rewards. I'm not saying tone down rewards because the higer you go you need betters rewards, instead make it easier for bronze players to progress

@Okty

My man is straight spitting fire here.

There are some GREAT Suggestions I hope you take to heart as MANY Agree the system needs to be overhauled in a couple other places too, to avoid rage-quitting :P

• sarimace
    sarimace Posts: 12 Just Dropped In

This sounds sweet, I am just a bit weary of the "overall deck card rarity", currently my two most powerful decks are based on uncommon card loops, that I would actually not want to play against ever, let alone as a new player...

• Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,433 Chairperson of the Boards

@Tezzeret said:
    Since you only loose a match like 1 out of 100 matches I don't think falling backwards will be an issue. If they make the rewards way better as you grind it out every season and have a season end mega reward depending on where you land this could be cool.

Also somehow have a coalition season reset. Keep the overall coalition points because I know top coalitions like the one I'm in are sensitive about it. But having each season have a coalition ranking with top coalitions at seasons end get an ULTRA reward

I would like to add that rewards for something like that should degrade down the list much like we already do for individual rewards in events. No need to punish players whom have no access to elite coalitions in hopes someone leaves. There are plenty of players who aren't as competitively aggressive but steadily play every week. We don't need to revisit the disgruntled coalition atmosphere that existed ages ago that allowed the small pool of players to keep all the big mythics and everyone else fell behind competitively progressively. I love the idea you present, and I think it is a great one, just a friendly reminder that many other coalitions also play and should be acknowledged for their performance as much as the elite should be for theirs (not equal rewards mind you, but you get the idea)

• Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards

@Gunmix25 said:

@AoMadness said:

>

I personally would like an additional benefit added to being in a coalition, that runes and orbs can be shared to either a coalition pool or directly to a specific coalition member. I think that this would be a helpful way to assist members of a coalition that are new to the game or are needing some additional resources. Especially so for VIP members whom accrue these resources at an exponential rate presently. I would love to be able to assist my coalition mates.

Love that idea. Would be a great way to help new players be more competitive, and it incentivizes the vets to help them

• Tezzeret

@Gunmix25 said:

@Tezzeret said:

I would like to add that rewards for something like that should degrade down the list much like we already do for individual rewards in events. No need to punish players whom have no access to elite coalitions in hopes someone leaves. There are plenty of players who aren't as competitively aggressive but steadily play every week. We don't need to revisit the disgruntled coalition atmosphere that existed ages ago that allowed the small pool of players to keep all the big mythics and everyone else fell behind competitively progressively. I love the idea you present, and I think it is a great one, just a friendly reminder that many other coalitions also play and should be acknowledged for their performance as much as the elite should be for theirs (not equal rewards mind you, but you get the idea)

That's my point a 5000 ranked coalition now could be top 10 on the season. I think the coalition reward should be separate from the individual season reward

• ArielSira
    ArielSira Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker

Just wanted to chime in that I'm excited for this being in the works AND that you are asking for our input.

As for a new purpose for card mastery, personally I'd love to link that to account features as it is a way to show dedication. In the first place deckslots, but maybe things such as titles or an emblem. Some might also like to use it to get older promo cards from when they weren't playing yet.

• TBronx
    TBronx Posts: 12 Just Dropped In

Here's my two ideas and one would help generate $$$ for the developers

1) I love the season idea, just keep have a standard and legacy one. Also, pvp opponents but only against the AI.

2) Create a tier above platinum mastery called diamond mastery. Based on your tier, you get FOIL particles per win. FOIL particles can be used to FOIL out your mastered cards.

Also, FOILed cards can be bought for IRL money directly and VIP memberships give amounts of FOIL particles every month based on VIP membership level and VIP tier.

P.S. I realize this would take FOIL card creation but it would be awesome!

GatorChomp

• Tezzeret

@TBronx said:
    Here's my two ideas and one would help generate $$$ for the developers

1) I love the season idea, just keep have a standard and legacy one. Also, pvp opponents but only against the AI.

2) Create a tier above platinum mastery called diamond mastery. Based on your tier, you get FOIL particles per win. FOIL particles can be used to FOIL out your mastered cards.

Also, FOILed cards can be bought for IRL money directly and VIP memberships give amounts of FOIL particles every month based on VIP membership level and VIP tier.

P.S. I realize this would take FOIL card creation but it would be awesome!

GatorChomp

I've been spitting foils for runes for years. But this idea is way better!

• Anarchangel
    Anarchangel Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    edited November 2022

Welcoming forum comments on the subject of a season reset for the new Tiers.
    What I know of resets tells me they are disdained almost as much by the high tier players grinding up, as they are by the low tier players getting steamrolled by passing high tier players.
    Not exactly what I would call, "a level playing field".
    That's what tiers are for.
    Keep them that way.
    I know already what the PQ community thinks of Grind, from the Revolving Planeswalk outcry.
    And forget about somehow getting into Platinum briefly for a place in the sun : everyone would start Bronze, right?

Here's how you implement Seasons:
    Display last season's score total and placement, display this season's score and placement, post them on the forums, Done.

• Tezzeret

What if there was an individual event aside form the weekly coalition event.... maybe something called.... "the ultimate planeswalker" ^_^

That was you advancing the ranks in this tier system

-Bronze tier levels 1-15 - losses don't move you down 1 win moves up 2 ranks( with rewards on rank up)
    -Silver tier levels 16-30 - losses don't move you down 1 win moves up 1 rank (better rewards on rank up)
    -Gold tier level 31 -50win move you up 1 loss move you down (good rewards on rank up)
    -platinum tier levels 51- 70 2 wins move you up 1 loss move down 1 (great rewards on rank up)
    -Diamond tier levels 71 - 99 2 wins to move up 1 loss moves down 2 (super rewards on rank up)
    -mythic tier level 100 and beyond 3 wins move you up 1 1 Loss moves down 2
    (Ultamate rewards - progressive multiplier based off levels above 100.

Once you reach a tier you can fall below that tier so gold can never go back to silver but you can lose and go back to level 31 but never level 30 (bronze)

Still feels a little to easy maybe a loss moves down 5 and in higher ranks a loss moves down 10 or something since losing is very rare in this game if your playing AI opponents!

otherwise this weekly event COULD pair against REAL players.... to see who really is.... THE ULTIMATE PLANESWALKER