***** Emma Frost (Phoenix Five) *****

Comments

• tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    Disappointed quite a bit red was changed from buffing match damage to ability power. Still seems like a decent character but I liked her red the way it was originally designed.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    It feels odd to have Emma rostered but not iShulk.
  • danielrandkai
    danielrandkai Posts: 89 Match Maker
    ammenell said:
    I honestly am not understanding how you can go winfinite on Turn 3 reliably with only 3 in red.  I'm assuming you are bringing in boosts and getting favorable boards.  It is easier than one thinks for SC to not have a move that does not bring a Red/Purple match.
    you are absolutely right. +1r/y, +1b/p. every single match, no exceptions.
    onslaught is my favorite partner, an opening match4 can open up a lot of possibilities. factor in the totally exploitable if/else-opponent who will always take a match4 which can (and will) also result in a board in your favor.

for me, shang brings the puzzle back to the game. can't really watch anything on tv while playing him, but doesn't really matter - I'm here to watch those numbers fly.
    If you are using him with boosts every match, then you aren't really leaning into the "puzzling" bit of his style like you think you are. 
  • CharlieLima
    CharlieLima Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    ammenell said:
    I honestly am not understanding how you can go winfinite on Turn 3 reliably with only 3 in red.  I'm assuming you are bringing in boosts and getting favorable boards.  It is easier than one thinks for SC to not have a move that does not bring a Red/Purple match.
    onslaught is my favorite partner, an opening match4 can open up a lot of possibilities. factor in the totally exploitable if/else-opponent who will always take a match4 which can (and will) also result in a board in your favor.

for me, shang brings the puzzle back to the game. can't really watch anything on tv while playing him, but doesn't really matter - I'm here to watch those numbers fly.
    If you are using him with boosts every match, then you aren't really leaning into the "puzzling" bit of his style like you think you are. 
    Technically that’s only an advantage at the start of the game. It’s still puzzling throughout the match depending on the board.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    ammenell said:

Technically that’s only an advantage at the start of the game. It’s still puzzling throughout the match depending on the board.
    Yeah, and anyone that has ever gone in with boosts for America knows how frustrating it can be when the enemy team gets some ridiculous almost never-ending cascade right off the bat and effectively cancels out your boosts.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx said:

Anyone want to do the math for a Frost/ Okoye damage boost?
    Typically only the higher boost applies.

If her boost is coded like Wanda's, they'll stack because it's a % increase and a flat number increase. They gave us that math one time, I want to say the % gets applied, then the numberical bonus gets applied. 
    Huh. I tested Wanda with okoye extensively when Wanda launched and never got a clear indication that both boosts were being applied.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2022
    Vhailorx said:
    Vhailorx said:

Anyone want to do the math for a Frost/ Okoye damage boost?
    Typically only the higher boost applies.

If her boost is coded like Wanda's, they'll stack because it's a % increase and a flat number increase. They gave us that math one time, I want to say the % gets applied, then the numberical bonus gets applied. 
    Huh. I tested Wanda with okoye extensively when Wanda launched and never got a clear indication that both boosts were being applied.

It's easier to confirm using Apocalypse since Shared Strength does a flat number. I went into a node using Medusa (lvl 370 entanglement does 1,373 pts), Apocalypse (lvl 460 shared strength adds 9492 damage), and Wanda (lvl 458 Chaos Magic does 5% of that base damage slug multiplied by the additional AP in the bank). So I set chaos magic to yellow, fired shared strength and was left with a single yellow AP. 1,373 X 1.05 =  1,441.65, then add 9,492 to that for a total of 10,933.65 which the game rounded up to 10,934 as expected. So how Chaos Magic seems to stack up is that it does that 5% of the base damage, then multiplies that result by how many AP are in the bank and adds it to the base number. I made another match-3 for a total of 4 damage, and I got the following:
    Base damage: 1373
    5% of that damage: 68.65
    5% X 4: 274.6
    total base damage plus total % increase: 1373 + 274.6 = 1647.6
    Shared Strength flat boost plus that previous total: 1647.6 + 9492 = 11,139.6 which the game again rounds up. 

So it's a bit odd to tabulate this mentally during play, but essentially this is why % increase powers do more to boost large single hits than they do a high volume of micro-hits the way the flat damage increase powers do. Okoye and Apocalypse's powers operate the same way (and don't stack, you just get whichever is higher), you'll just need to do more of the math on Okoye to verify what's happening.

As for the total math on boosting, I'm not sure if Strikes come into play first before the %, or if they happen at the end and boost the total. It seems like it would be possible to test that; I may try it later. Depending on where they fit into the equation it might make a significant difference if they boost the base slug before the % gets applied.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    ammenell said:

oh. thank you for that valuable bit of information.

I did not know that.
  • danielrandkai
    danielrandkai Posts: 89 Match Maker
    ammenell said:
    ammenell said:

oh. thank you for that valuable bit of information.

I did not know that.
    You are EVER so welcome. Have the day you deserve.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    you too - here, have a like.
  • Xception81
    Xception81 Posts: 406 Mover and Shaker
    Am I misunderstanding her My Own Best Friend (her blue), or is it a bug? In her PvP, once I fire blue (or have my two 1* characters die because enemy Emma fires her red), she never seems to actually become human again. After the countdown tile disappears, her image does change back to human, but I haven’t been able to fire her other powers after that point. The match damage stuff is handled correctly, but not the active powers. Same thing for the enemy Emma (she never fires another power, but does start taking match damage after the countdown is done). 

One good thing I have verified is that if you stun her and then kill off her teammates, she doesn’t passively turn diamond either at that point or after she comes back from being stunned. Which I wouldn’t expect, but good to verify. 
  • Druiz23
    Druiz23 Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
    Also, she's the first character to take zero match damage in the game, so she's going to hard counter SC and Colossus.

What are you talking about?  What about Elektra’s black power?  Elektra not only takes 0 match damage (and power damage) but she also destroys a trap tile causing damage to the enemy who tried to damage her and generates even more black AP so she can remain “in the shadows.”  And Elektra has been around for years!
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've forgotten the existence of 3* and 4* Elektra.  :D Thanks for reminding me of her existence. I only remember her 5* version. Spider-Woman could do that in a way.
  • Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker
    And to be pedantic, she actually takes 1 damage from matches even though her description says 100% reduction. I don't know why that is maybe the way the game is programmed so that match damage never goes below 1. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I noticed that too. I think Kaecilius takes 0 damage? I remember some players used certain teams and Kaecilius took 1 damage. Was it Medusa?
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    I noticed that too. I think Kaecilius takes 0 damage? I remember some players used certain teams and Kaecilius took 1 damage. Was it Medusa?
    IIRC, 5-star Scarlet Witch's repeater does a single point of damage to Kaecilius.
  • killahKlown
    killahKlown Posts: 577 Critical Contributor
    I'm seeing a bug with her.  After she comes back to human form, she starts taking damage again like she's supposed to but she is still unable to launch other abilities.  So I build up tons of red and purple but can't use any of it fir the remainder of the match.