JumpStart comments after playing

Options
2»

Comments

• Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,611 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2022
    Options
    @Heartstone - I stayed away from this event, because I have a very big library and I couldn’t decipher the cost/reward ratio (CR ratio).

After seeing the pack composition, I’m pretty sure the CR ratio is even worse for big library players. All theme packs had at least one jumpstart card in it. That mean that any of the 3 theme packs I could choose from, would have one at least one card (most likely a common or uncommon card) I didn’t have, so I would not get a mythic in many cases.

The more I think about this event, the more it seems clear that it is intended for new players. Those new players which need to “jumpstart” they collection by getting 2 or 3 mythics to build upon. It is counterintuitive that Oktagon has an entry fee of 320 gold on this event, because then on the surface it seems to be an event for the old-timers/whales.
  • Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 462 Mover and Shaker
    edited August 2022
    Options
    There seems to be some confusion about how the packs work. At the start of the event: You choose a planeswalker, who comes with five cards - one of which will be a Mythic Vanguard of that Planeswalker, and the rest will be specific cards that are always the same for that planeswalker. And then you choose a "theme" pack (from three random possibilities), which is five more cards tailored around a specific theme (like "Pirates"), which will include some Jumpstart cards and some non-jumpstart cards (these cards are not random; anyone who picks that "theme" will always get the same five cards). Between the five cards that came with the PW you chose and the five cards in the theme pack you picked, you have yourself a ten-card deck to use for the event.

At the end of the event: YOU GET THOSE TEN CARDS. It's literally as simple as that. Exactly those cards. The reward packs are "non-dupe" packs but they only contain those ten cards as possible drops. There's no random chance involved, except at the point where you get offered three different "themes" to choose from. (This is one of the spots where they need to balance the event: some "themes" have more Rares and Mythics than others and are therefore objectively better choices.) If you already owned all the non-Jumpstart cards in your deck, at the end of the event you'll get a bunch of dupes of those cards. This is not any different than any other "non-dupe" pack that only contains cards you already have (for instance: I have all the Legacy rares, and always get a dupe from the Legacy Rare pack from Battle of the Ages).

In other words: it's a sealed event, it works exactly like a sealed event would in the real world: you open some packs at the start of the event, use those packs for the event, and then take them home with you at the end of the event.

Could this be explained better in-game? Yes, probably, especially for folks who aren't familiar with the concept of sealed events. But for me, I got exactly what I expected to get from it and don't feel too bad about the cost. Guaranteed Mythic Vanguard for one thing, at an 80-crystal discount off what it would cost to get it from Fblthp. Is it less attractive if you already have all the Vanguards in question? Sure, but I don't see how they'd get around that.

• Heartstone
    Heartstone Posts: 233 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Tremayne said:
    @Heartstone - I stayed away from this event, because I have a very big library and I couldn’t decipher the cost/reward ratio (CR ratio).

After seeing the pack composition, I’m pretty sure the CR ratio is even worse for big library players. All theme packs had at least one jumpstart card in it. That mean that any of the 3 theme packs I could choose from, would have one at least one card (most likely a common or uncommon card) I didn’t have, so I would not get a mythic in many cases.

The more I think about this event, the more it seems clear that it is intended for new players. Those new players which need to “jumpstart” they collection by getting 2 or 3 mythics to build upon. It is counterintuitive that Oktagon has an entry fee of 320 gold on this event, because then on the surface it seems to be an event for the old-timers/whales.

Well, there are some things to know:
    1. Never pick the same pack to avoid dupes, although they said that you would get cards from another pack if you have them all. We'll only know next time if that's correct or not.
    2. If you have the vanguard already, and that will happen if you pick a different PW every time, you'll get one mythic for 320, which is still not bad.

As for the discussion about newbies or whales, I believe it's for both.
    Newbies can play an event with "equal" decks and win one or two mythics in the end.
    Whales can aim for the mythics they want and get those.
    And once the event has been adapted, it might even be fun...

• BongoTheGrey
    BongoTheGrey Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    There are so many things that can be improved about this event in the future.

The first one is, please don't lie to us in our faces @Oktagon_Support, we are not dumb. On July 29th you said that "the packs you chose at the the event will be non-dupe".

That is a lie and false advertisement. The packs contain 5 predetermined cards. If by chance you don't own one or more of those 5 cards well of course that that specific card or cards are non-dupe. But not because the pack itself is non dupe, only because you didn't already owned that card that you were going to obtain by selecting the pack.

Most of the cards are from M21, so players that have been playing since 2020 when M21 was introduced probably already own most or all of the cards that come with the PW pack they select. The only new card that they will get is a common land. If they didn't already owned the mythic vanguard they will get that one as well. A vanguard that is nearly useless in Legacy. Some of the themed packs only have one single new Jumpstart card. So there are a lot of players that payed 320 crystals for 2 cards. That is absurd.

I think that the event should cost between 100 and 150 crystals MAX to enter. A single regular booster pack of the new set costs 80 crystals and you will most of the times get 5 duplicate cards. If I'm going to play an event that gives me an average of 2 or 3 new cards I think that 100 to 150 crystals is a fair price
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Julie71 said:
    320 for an undupe packs NOT. got one uncommon creature and a common land.  all the rest were duplicates I already has. Smh very disappointed with this event
    Isn't there always an exclusive mythic in the booster pack you choose?

No, there are only 3 mythics in the entire set. If you choose a pack in a color that doesn't have a mythic from the set in it, then you won't get one.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well, there are some things to know:
    1. Never pick the same pack to avoid dupes, although they said that you would get cards from another pack if you have them all. We'll only know next time if that's correct or not.

It's correct.  I selected Spirits, a pack for which I have all the cards. At the event's end, I was given Walls, which contained cards I did not own. 
  • Ninjiggle
    Ninjiggle Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Aside from the ludicrous cost, the fact that you have to keep playing the same mediocre deck over and over again, without a way to even try the other ones, against a similar weak deck, with really cruddy progression rewards is why I don't like it. The only reason I'm not even more disappointed in it is because I was able to pick up the card I wanted the most. I have no reason to play this event again

I wanted to give this event a chance, but it's just not good.
    My extra two cents after a cooling off period: it's not that bad.

I think it was the colossal tussle where we complained because the placement rewards were so hard to get ( node system...). That was, we complained until we realised that the progression rewards were good enough and we could just ignore placement. From then on, I only played TCT until full progression.

Now, let's apply that filter to jumpstart: For 320 crystals and one game played, we get two mythics and a few other cards. And you don't even need to win!

Compare that to the price of the mythics in the Planechasing Fblthp or the duel decks: You pay around 300 crystal for one mythic. 

Conclusion: the return on investment is worth entering the event.

It does not make the event more fun or interesting,  but until they make this event better, I can live with playing that one game.
    And yes, I did get Sheoldred 🥳

We did not necessarily get 2 mythics. The theme pack we chose was not an automatically attributed a mythic. The Lightning theme pack had a rare, not a mythic, and a pretty lame one, at that. 
  • Julie71
    Julie71 MTGPQ Mod Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Julie71 said:
    320 for an undupe packs NOT. got one uncommon creature and a common land.  all the rest were duplicates I already has. Smh very disappointed with this event
    Isn't there always an exclusive mythic in the booster pack you choose?

it gave me the white vanguard for (bass) but I already had it.
  • Tezzeret
    Tezzeret Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Bold of them to run this garbage a second time.... 
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So I didn't play the first time around but thought to give it a go and ended up with 2 common cards and a severe deduction of crystals due to the entry few. Minor gain in jewels. A total loss of in game resources imho. 320 for little to almost no return on investment for a possibility of one of the mythics makes this a never play again event. Other events have better gains for involvement. Even battle from the ages for 100 crystals is a great investment for the risk.  Sorry @Oktagon_Support but this event needs a severe rework 
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Julie71 said:
    My experience too. 1 common land and 1 common artifact. Nothing else.  
  • Fliggl
    Fliggl Posts: 56 Match Maker
    Options
    I played it again. Last time with Teferi because I thought the booster was color-dependend and I wanted milling. This time with Garruk, because I don't own the 3 rare+ cards from its deck. And 320 for this 3 cards is cheap.

But if you already own most of the cards, yeah, it's kind of expansive.
  • e3vil
    e3vil Posts: 62 Match Maker
    Options
    I entered Jumpstart with the idea that we would get a booster with all the cards of the chosen booster.
    First thing, the price is spicy. Ouch.
    The booster is not a free try, but one of 3 random options.
    The booster should grant 5 all new cards. Of the 15 possible cards, I already had 9. So I should get 5 new cards, and Sheoldred would possibly still remain for a next time. But I only got 1 new common in the Sheoldred booster, and 4 copies of cards that I already had!
    So, this time, I feel like I was cheated!
    What's the point to pay so much mana crystals to enter an event, just to get random cards, andno guarantee the cards will be new as promised?
  • BongoTheGrey
    Options
    I agree with everything you said except the part were you mentioned you only got one common from the Sheoldred booster.

Sheoldred can only be obtained from the Phyrexians pack. From all the 20 available packs only "Phyrexians" have Sheoldred. The contents of each one of the 20 packs doesn't change and Phyrexians have 4 new Jumpstart cards including Sheoldred plus Malefic Scythe which is from M21. You probably selected a different pack that wasn't Phyrexians.

I'm attaching a screenshot with all the 5 cards from that pack.

• Anarchangel
    Anarchangel Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    edited September 2022
    Options
    All the cards are on the wiki, the way cards are selected, rewards are allocated, objectives for the Planeswalkers, and many of the Theme objectives..
    Everything but the remaining 
     Theme objectives.
    Please add objectives you have seen. A description is fine, it doesn't have to be the title format shown here. Even if you don't have the number value.

This is what we have so far.

PWs
    Basri - Commander 4 
    Teferi - Pacifist 3
    Liliana - Necromancer 2 summon Zombies
    Chandra - Hunter 8
    Garruk - Anti-Magic 3

Themes
    Angels - Healer 15
    Dogs - Assault 15

Milling - Millstone 30 
    Spirits - Spell Caster 3

Phyrexian - Destroyer 3

Dragons - Dragon Master 2
    Lightning - Aggressive 3 
    Seismic - Enraged 12

Cats - Ambush 2
    Walls - Resilient 50

3rd Sept - PWs complete 

Updated 12th September - Red complete, 13/20 

Updated 17th September - 15/20
  • e3vil
    e3vil Posts: 62 Match Maker
    Options
    I agree with everything you said except the part were you mentioned you only got one common from the Sheoldred booster.

Sheoldred can only be obtained from the Phyrexians pack. From all the 20 available packs only "Phyrexians" have Sheoldred. The contents of each one of the 20 packs doesn't change and Phyrexians have 4 new Jumpstart cards including Sheoldred plus Malefic Scythe which is from M21. You probably selected a different pack that wasn't Phyrexians.

I'm attaching a screenshot with all the 5 cards from that pack.

I understand. Thanks.
    So they have an issue with the booster card preview, since there were 6 cards I didn't have from that booster in the card preview. I checked the booster preview before opening it.
  • BongoTheGrey
    Options
    e3vil said:

I understand. Thanks.
    So they have an issue with the booster card preview, since there were 6 cards I didn't have from that booster in the card preview. I checked the booster preview before opening it.
    That is true! When you receive your rewards, the themed pack that you receive shows all the Jumpstart cards from the color of the pack instead of just the cards you are actually going to receive from the theme you chose. That is very misleading.
  • fox1342_2
    fox1342_2 Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    Options
    After doing ok on the previous few rounds I've been profoundly slaughtered this time. Everybody seemed to have Rattlechains (would love!) and with minimal removal all of which targeted it becomes a race. Lilliana loses. Also Baneslayer and Garrick are warded, so she loses again. and again. and again. Not fun. 
  • Anarchangel
    Anarchangel Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    Options

Patch 5.8.0 lowered entry to Jumpstart from 320 crystals to 270

Rogues : Slow and Steady:     Win the fight in 8 or more rounds.