***** Emma Frost (Phoenix Five) *****

Comments

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    By the way SW's text says "friendly powers deal an aditional % damage per AP" and EF says "ability damage ". 
    If that "ability damage " includes the conditional part, then EF could be a better booster.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wouldn't read too much into that syntax, Broken Circle seems to be playing around with power description verbiage so I don't think we have a good sense of what they mean when they say things yet. They also seem to like walls of microscopic text crammed into the boxes, as evidenced by Kamala, apropos of nothing.
  • Bad
    I wouldn't read too much into that syntax, Broken Circle seems to be playing around with power description verbiage so I don't think we have a good sense of what they mean when they say things yet. They also seem to like walls of microscopic text crammed into the boxes, as evidenced by Kamala, apropos of nothing.
    It happens with kamala and Jthor. 
    They should put the in game description when playing at the board exclusively to what the power does, and leave all the text for the character profile.
  • CharlieLima
    CharlieLima Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    Anyone want to do the math for a Frost/ Okoye damage boost?
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I forgot about my favourite duo of Hawkeye and Shuma. She fits in nicely with them and tanks over Hawkeye, which is sweet.

Even though I've played MPQ for close to 5 years, but I still don't know how to tell whether certain passive abilities that can increase power/match damage could be stacked together or not. 

For Emma, I've to test out different variations and see if they stack. Wanda/Valkyrie will be on my list first. 

• killahKlown
    killahKlown Posts: 577 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2022
    You guys who are making a big deal of her blue... it's only a 3 turn countdown.  Immune to match damage for 3 turns is hardly anything to be excited about.  We would just use abilities to take her down instead.  No biggie 
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wanda and Emma have a % boost while Apoc and Okoye flat rate. I’m guessing that Emma stacks with Apoc and Okoye but not Wanda. I’m looking forward to seeing the tests though 
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    You guys who are making a big deal of her blue... it's only a 3 turn countdown.  Immune to match damage for 3 turns is hardly anything to be excited about.  We would just use abilities to take her down instead.  No biggie 
    This.  I can see it affecting Chasm a smidge but even then, shouldn't his "passive"s hurt 5mma as it isn't explicit match damage?  And I guess most of SC damage is done via match.  But there are plenty of other high powered non-match damage characters that won't really care.  Will she be annoying?  Yes.  But is she beatable?  Asbolutely.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,904 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2022
    Bad said:

KGB said:

Well if you are playing SC at 5 Red, you should be able to easily destroy that fortified CD and kick her out of Diamond form at which point you can proceed to kill her.
    It's a fortified cd and SC has to struggle with his thing. Not so easy, or at least wasting 14 red AP or 7 purples for to take down a miserable cd would feel like a pain in the ... to me.
    Why? Your never going to care about her being in Diamond form unless she's the last character standing since she can't fire powers while in that form (and honestly, only her Red will you fear). So when she puts out her Blue tile, you can target someone else if you don't want to use his Red/Purple on her CD. Once she's the last one standing, it's the only thing you *have* to target so you might as well use it against the CD.

KGB

P.S. One thing I am curious about is if her selected tile destruction can target any tile. Shangs Red for example says it only targets basic/TU. Hers does not say that. So if she can really destroy 8 of any tile type it would make that power incredibly good (ie Meta) as you could wipe out CD's, repeaters, strikes, attacks, defense, webs etc.
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 982 Critical Contributor
    Bad said:
    akboyce said:

Now she buffs ability damage? AKA she buffs only 2 abilities for her Phoenix team? Her own Red and Colossus's Black. Technically Colossus's blue and Cyclop's black but one is nearly no damage (and competes with Emma's Blue) and the other requires everyone but Cyclop's to be stunned so he can transform without losing Emma. I GUESS Jean Grey's green as well but that requires her to die before Emma. 

You are forgetting cyclops green, a power which damages, stuns and creates red tiles, so the synergy is legit. Also colossus blue damages quite a bit.

KGB said:
    Well if you are playing SC at 5 Red, you should be able to easily destroy that fortified CD and kick her out of Diamond form at which point you can proceed to kill her.
    It's a fortified cd and SC has to struggle with his thing. Not so easy, or at least wasting 14 red AP or 7 purples for to take down a miserable cd would feel like a pain in the ... to me.

Throw her with Wanda and Valkyrie to stack up the power damage (+ a max of 150%) and red aps more quickly and her AoE should deal a total of ~71,580, which should be able to wipe out majority of the enemies by then.

That's not how it should be working. Usually SW only boost the not conditional part of the power, so her boost works better with single hits. SW would buff only the 4095 initial AoE. 
    Now, does Emma buffs her conditional part too, the damage per red AP? It should be.  However then that should work differently than SW. 
    So, finally, don't discard buggy performances and it's needed to put in practice.
    Cyclops green doesn't do damage. It stuns and creates red tiles targeting enemy strike and protect tiles first.  Cyclops only damage dealing ability is his red, or his black if he has no other team mates.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards

Typically only the higher boost applies.

• ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2022
    Punter1 said:
    I go 4/5/4 - I don't need the 5th tile destruction
    I stand corrected, but surely you’re the only…
    All that being said, I choose to usually run him at 3/5/5.
    Okay, fine. I wouldn’t…
    Bad said:
    My build is 4/5/4 too.
    So many crazies on the forums!  :tongue:  
    Nevertheless, we all love Shang, and that’s what really matters.

another 3/5/5 here.
    tried 5/5/3, didn't really see the upside destroying more tiles
    I think it just depends on playstyle and personal preference.
    what an awesome character.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx said:

Typically only the higher boost applies.

If her boost is coded like Wanda's, they'll stack because it's a % increase and a flat number increase. They gave us that math one time, I want to say the % gets applied, then the numberical bonus gets applied. 
  • Bad
    edited September 2022
    Gargantos blue power just drains the blue AP dealing damage per AP.and SW has no problems boosting it.
    EF should act in the same way, it should'nt be a conditional added up effect. Then the question is if they stack up, and they could be meta with a single instakill.
    Also SC blue passive is an ability wich grants him x damage to his match damage. Still EF could boost it.
  • ammenell
    edited September 2022
    difference between 3 and 5 red is number of tiles to destroy and higher heal.
    it's not that I don't see the difference, I just don't have a use for both when shang reliably goes winfinite on turn 3. I want maximum available damage, and I like those 400k+ numbers (and going way overboard with killmonger, rogue,... you know)

on topic (a little bit) - going winfinite with shang will get rid of any tile, eventually.

• LavaManLee
    I honestly am not understanding how you can go winfinite on Turn 3 reliably with only 3 in red.  I'm assuming you are bringing in boosts and getting favorable boards.  It is easier than one thinks for SC to not have a move that does not bring a Red/Purple match.
  • killahKlown
    killahKlown Posts: 577 Critical Contributor
    I honestly am not understanding how you can go winfinite on Turn 3 reliably with only 3 in red.  I'm assuming you are bringing in boosts and getting favorable boards.  It is easier than one thinks for SC to not have a move that does not bring a Red/Purple match.
    Even landing that one red or purple match doesn't guarantee enough AP  to launch again in the same turn 
  • LavaManLee
    Even landing that one red or purple match doesn't guarantee enough AP  to launch again in the same turn 
    Exactly.  My 5 in red has saved my bacon so many times in a match.
  • ammenell
    you are absolutely right. +1r/y, +1b/p. every single match, no exceptions.
    onslaught is my favorite partner, an opening match4 can open up a lot of possibilities. factor in the totally exploitable if/else-opponent who will always take a match4 which can (and will) also result in a board in your favor.

for me, shang brings the puzzle back to the game. can't really watch anything on tv while playing him, but doesn't really matter - I'm here to watch those numbers fly.