***** Emma Frost (Phoenix Five) *****

Comments

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2022
    Ulik said:
    Bad said:
    Stuff
    Shang doesn’t like to share; it’s all about him.  Red passive is nice, but better to have a partner that gives him more combos while creating another effect. Mighty Thor blue/yellow, for example.
    If SC has 10 AP, not something really strange, and this character grants him then 90% plus damage, plus all his combo points, and another character creating effects like you say, don't you think SC has less work to do to wipe out the stage?
    Also this character is expected to destroy 5 tiles while dealing high AoE.
    SC could be set to 3/5/5 and take advantage of their red, if he doesn't need extra health.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,518 Chairperson of the Boards
    That match damage could get seriously ugly.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    The extra match damage is nice but ultimately, how it is calculated is important. For some cases, the game will take whichever match damage boost is higher, instead of adding them together.
  • allen_koholic
    allen_koholic Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    New Emma feels kinda like a diet Shang Chi.

That blue power seems borderline useless and unfortunate.
  • killahKlown
    killahKlown Posts: 577 Critical Contributor

Really?

I feel like her red is Shang Chi on energy drinks
  • Ulik
    Ulik Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    Bad said:
    If SC has 10 AP, not something really strange, and this character grants him then 90% plus damage, plus all his combo points, and another character creating effects like you say, don't you think SC has less work to do to wipe out the stage?
    SC could be set to 3/5/5 and take advantage of their red, if he doesn't need extra health.
    Who uses Shang red?
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,904 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2022
    MegaBee said:
    Ulik said:
    Bad said:
    Who uses Shang red?
    I use Shang-Chi's red all the time. True healing and tile destruction? Sign me up!

Me too. Paired with Valk, I can often go winfinite and even if the winfinite engine stalls, the AI only gets a single turn before I'm firing Red again. I definitely have his Red and Purple at 5.

KGB
  • killahKlown
    Ulik said:
    Bad said:
    Who uses Shang red?
    The main reason to use Shang is for his red.
  • allen_koholic
    allen_koholic Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    edited September 2022

Really?

It costs slightly more and even when she's sitting on top of a ton of red AP, it still hits a about as hard SC after he's combo'd twice.  And her purple is, I dunno, ...there?  It's not bad.  It just doesn't really support the rest of her kit.  She has three decent abilities, but none of them really work together.  SC is a monster on offense because his whole kit is designed to work together.  He's a one-man winfinite when he gets rolling. He's unstoppable with the right partner(s).

New Emma can hit hard.  Or she can do board control. Or she can tank.  But those are (mostly) XORs.  SC can do all of those at once.  I'm not saying she's bad.  But it's like comparing Apoc to Okoye.  Apoc's trick is being an Okoye light.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ulik said:
    Bad said:
    Who uses Shang red?
    Are you joking? The whole point of Shang Chi is board manipulation so that you can build up combo points so you can then do more damage.
  • Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 497 Mover and Shaker
    I'm fairly certain that @Ulik was making an absurdist point to the idea of a 3/5/5 SC build. Until today, I've never seen anyone suggest anything other than 5/x/x.
  • Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 718 Critical Contributor
    I go 4/5/4 - I don't need the 5th tile destruction

Daredevils build recommended is 3/5/5
  • killahKlown

Really?

It costs slightly more and even when she's sitting on top of a ton of red AP, it still hits a about as hard SC after he's combo'd twice.  And her purple is, I dunno, ...there?  It's not bad.  It just doesn't really support the rest of her kit.  She has three decent abilities, but none of them really work together.  SC is a monster on offense because his whole kit is designed to work together.  He's a one-man winfinite when he gets rolling. He's unstoppable with the right partner(s).

New Emma can hit hard.  Or she can do board control. Or she can tank.  But those are (mostly) XORs.  SC can do all of those at once.  I'm not saying she's bad.  But it's like comparing Apoc to Okoye.  Apoc's trick is being an Okoye light.
    But you're leaving out the part about large aoe damage 
  • ElReyFelix
    ElReyFelix Posts: 102 Tile Toppler
    I don't think there's a bad build for Shang-Chi. It speaks to how strong a character he is. He will usually accomplish much the same regardless of his build. I have experimented with different builds and I think it ultimately comes down to personal preference and who you're pairing him with.

All that being said, I choose to usually run him at 3/5/5.
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards

Really?

It costs slightly more and even when she's sitting on top of a ton of red AP, it still hits a about as hard SC after he's combo'd twice. 

New Emma can hit hard.  Or she can do board control. Or she can tank.  But those are (mostly) XORs.  SC can do all of those at once.  
    #1 we have no idea how much damage Emma (if this is indeed her) will deal with her red. “High team damage”. However, I’m pretty sure it’s gonna be better than SC until he reaches combo 5.

#2 Emma looks WAY better defensively (numbers depending)

#3 She actually looks like a better teammate than SC, who the entire must revolve around.

#4 the absolute last thing you want SC doing is tanking. 
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2022
    I'm a SC user in almost all pves and pvps. 
    My build is 4/5/4 too.
    However recently I'm playing him with Jthor and when SC has full health and enough purple it feels great to fire Jthor red and just to relax, for once, on designing combos.
    If playing half thor, valkirye or MM, SC literally swims on red. 
    This character dealing high AoE damage when the board is already on control would be wildly fun. 
    And until that times comes, this character boost SC match damage, so it's a win-win.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't think there's a bad build for Shang-Chi. It speaks to how strong a character he is. He will usually accomplish much the same regardless of his build. I have experimented with different builds and I think it ultimately comes down to personal preference and who you're pairing him with.

All that being said, I choose to usually run him at 3/5/5.
    There is a speed advantage to only having to place 3 tiles when you run him at 3/5/5. He can be a tad more fragile with the lower heal, but the cognative load of only having to worry about 3 tile breaks is noticable if you are trying to move fast.
  • WilliamK1983
    WilliamK1983 Posts: 693 Critical Contributor
    I'm fairly certain that @Ulik was making an absurdist point to the idea of a 3/5/5 SC build. Until today, I've never seen anyone suggest anything other than 5/x/x.
    I agree on a 5/x/x.   Some pretty insane things can be done to the board with the five tile destruction.  5/5/3 is how I have him.