Outcast Will Exile Cast Permanents - Is this WAD? [Investigating]

jtwood
jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2022 in MtGPQ Bugs & Technical Issues
Sometimes, Outcast will result in a permanent being cast into play. At the end of that turn, that permanent will be exiled. This is true even if the previous versions of that permanent were not cast with Outcast. In the video below, a 24-shield Arixmethes is reinforced by an Outcast-copy of Arixmethes. At the end of the turn, the 28-shield support is exiled. I have also seen this with creatures cast via Outcast.
Is this how Outcast was intended to perform?

Comments

• KrizzB
    KrizzB Posts: 91 Match Maker
    The same thing happened to me when my Riveteers Charm drew a Crimson Honour Guard and cast it, reinforcing the one already in play and subsequently exiled it once my turn was over.

I really don't hope this was the intended way for Outcast to work, especially since Outcast in paper is removed from any card that is cast/moved to the battlefield and those cards are only exiled if they are still in your hand after you pass the turn to the opponent.
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards
    This severely limits the viability of this mechanic and should be redone
  • Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,259 Chairperson of the Boards

Hello guys,

Thank you for all the information provided, this issue will be investigated!
    If you have any additional information that you consider relevant, please don't hesitate to send me 😊

Rebeca.

• FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2022
    Can confirm this is still an issue with Urabrask, Heretic Praetor, at least when Outcast cards are reinforced 
  • Machine
    Machine Posts: 787 Critical Contributor
    Yep, still an issue. A creature and a vanguard I had in play where both reinforced by a copy with outcast and both the creature and the vanguard were exiled end of turn, even though the originals were hard cast without outcast.
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Oktagon_Support this is a simple request to find out if this function is working as described or not. Can we please at least get an answer about whether or not it was intended that Outcast would exile cast permanents?
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would also like to know
  • SometimesWitchy
    SometimesWitchy Posts: 6 Just Dropped In

Still wondering

• Barnabes
    Barnabes Posts: 72 Match Maker

It’s definitely working as described. The last line in the description says “At the end of this turn, if it’s not exiled, exile it”. This would naturally function everywhere since it doesn’t say “if it’s in your hand”.

Now, whether it’s working “as intended” is a different question. If it is, Outcast will only ever be good for spell-chaining combo decks. Exiling existing permanents is definitely a feel bad thing.

• Janosik
    Janosik Posts: 317 Mover and Shaker

@Barnabes said:
    It’s definitely working as described. The last line in the description says “At the end of this turn, if it’s not exiled, exile it”. This would naturally function everywhere since it doesn’t say “if it’s in your hand”.

Now, whether it’s working “as intended” is a different question. If it is, Outcast will only ever be good for spell-chaining combo decks. Exiling existing permanents is definitely a feel bad thing.

It's working as described; but it's definitely not working "as intended". When introduced, Outcast was explicitly described by Oktagon as an implementation of paper MTG's 'Impulse Draw' mechanic, which does not exile permanents.

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/86079/release-notes-5-3-0/p1

• Aerebes
    Aerebes Posts: 2 Just Dropped In

Just tested, it also exiles a non-reinforced permanent, and it only applies to the player's cards, not the AI, so it is a significant advantage for them with some cards.

The test was done with Urabrask, Heretic Praetor as the trigger and Teeterpeak Ambusher as the outcast.