Ochre Jelly Receives a +0/+0 Buff After Dying to Deathtouch [Investigating]

jtwood
jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
If Ochre Jelly takes damage from a deathtouch creature, its toughness drops to zero before it dies. When it comes back, its buff is +0/+0 regardless of what its P/T was before taking damage from the deathtouch creature. The expectation is that the Jelly's P/T pre-deathtouch toughness would be used to determine its P/T buff when returning to the battlefield.
Scenario #1
Ochre Jelly is an 18/18, takes damage from Tainted Adversary, and returns as a 1/1

Scenario #2
Ochre Jelly is a 4/4, takes damage from Guul Draz Assassin, and returns as a 1/1

Comments

• stikxs
    stikxs Posts: 518 Critical Contributor
    Because it makes a copy of itself as 1/1 and then adds the y/y after. It's not strictly half of 0/0 rounded down. The only way it doesn't come back is exile. Someone else in our discord was talking about this same thing last week.
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2022
    stikxs said:
    Because it makes a copy of itself as 1/1 and then adds the y/y after. It's not strictly half of 0/0 rounded down. The only way it doesn't come back is exile. Someone else in our discord was talking about this same thing last week.
    But the important part is that deathtouch doesn't say it lowers toughness to 0. It says "When this creature deals combat damage to another creature, that creature is destroyed." So the toughness for the +y/+y buff should not be half of zero, rounded down. I'll change the initial post to avoid any implication that I'm talking about something else. Thanks
  • stikxs
    stikxs Posts: 518 Critical Contributor
    Oh sorry, I should have read more gooder. :D I see what you mean now.
  • Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,259 Chairperson of the Boards

Hello guys,

Thank you for all the information provided, this issue will be investigated!
    If you have any additional information that you consider relevant, please don't hesitate to send me 😊

Rebeca.