***** Chasm (Ben Reilly) *****

IceIX
IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,310 Site Admin
edited August 2022 in Character Details

Chasm (Ben Reilly)

5-Star Rarity
Affiliations: Villains, Spider-Verse, Street Level, Enhanced

"It's hard knowing who you are, finding yourself, making sense of the world... Ben Reilly would know! Being Peter Parker's clone and sharing his memories, his powers, his ideals: it's never been easy. That's life though; Ben's spun his own web under several guises over the years - and after joining the Beyond Corporation, he finds a place as Spider-ManⒸ doing some real good! But what happens when someone abuses his trust, goes thrashing through his memories, and liquidates him in quantum-shifting polymer meant to rewrite matter? It leaves a void. An abyss. A Chasm."

(Abilities listed at level 255, followed by 450)
19314 Health / 77630 Health
 32 | 29 | 34 | 237 | 207 | 266 | 132 | 2.0x
 125 | 115 | 135 | 949 | 831 | 1068 | 528 | 2.0x

Waking Abyss -  PASSIVE
(PASSIVE) Whenever Chasm makes a match, he converts 1 random tiles into Abyss tiles, and whenever an Abyss tile is matched or destroyed, he creates 1 random Web tiles. Abyss tiles do not award AP when matched. At the end of each turn, for each Abyss tile on the board up to 1, both teams lose 1 AP from the front character’s strongest color with 1 or more AP, then Chasm and the enemy team’s character in front take damage equal to Chasm’s match damage in that color + 133 damage. (Max level 534 damage)
  • Level 2: Maximum 2 Abyss tiles for AP drain. Bonus 144 damage. (Max level 577 damage)
  • Level 3: Creates 2 random Web tiles. Bonus 156 damage. (Max level 625 damage)
  • Level 4: Converts 2 random tiles into Abyss tiles. Bonus 166 damage. (Max level 668 damage)
  • Level 5: Maximum 3 Abyss tile for AP drain. Bonus 177 damage. (Max level 710 damage)
Stare Into the Void -  PASSIVE
(PASSIVE) If you gaze into the Chasm, the Chasm gazes also into you. At the start of the match, stun the enemy team for 1 turn. If Chasm is downed and there are 5 or more Abyss tiles on the board, Chasm is revived with 20% health, plus 2% health per Web tile on the board (max 10), then he destroys all Abyss tiles on the board and stuns the enemy team for 1 turn. Whenever a Web tile is matched, Chasm heals 266 health. (Max level 3 revive health, 1068  match health)
  • Level 2: Chasm is revived with 4 or more Abyss tiles on the board. 5% health per Web tile. Chasm heals 354 health. (Max level 1420 match health)
  • Level 3: Chasm is revived with 25% health. Chasm heals 532 health. (Max level 2136 match health)
  • Level 4: Chasm is revived with 3 or more Abyss tiles on the board. 5% health per Web tile. Chasm heals 665 health. (Max level 2670 match health)
  • Level 5: Chasm is revived with 30% health. Chasm heals 1109 health. (Max level 4454 match health)
Empty Inside -  PASSIVE
(PASSIVE) Ben’s been through a lot - sometimes, it’s easier not to feel. Chasm’s match damage is multiplied by up to 150% as the average AP on both teams approaches 0, and down to 75% as the average AP on both teams approaches 3 plus 1 for every 3 Web tiles on the board (not counting Team-Up AP).
  • Level 2: Match damage is multiplied by up to 175%, and down to 80%.
  • Level 3: Match damage is multiplied by up to 200%, and down to 80% as the average approaches 4.
  • Level 4: Match damage is multiplied by up to 225%, and down to 90%. Max AP bonus plus 1 for every 2 Web tiles on the board.
  • Level 5: Match damage is multiplied by up to 250%, and down to 90% as the average approaches 5.

Release Schedule

All times in Pacific

Release Events

Story

The Hunt - 7/28 - 7/31

Chasm (Ben Reilly) in Placement Rewards

Cosmic Chaos - 7/31 - 8/4

Chasm (Ben Reilly) in Progression rewards

Versus

Constant Kraven - 7/28 - 8/1

Chasm (Ben Reilly) Shards as Placement rewards

Blank Stare - 7/31 - 8/3

Rewards tokens to the There Is Only Chasm vault

Offers

Corruptible Chasm Cover Store - 7/28 - 7/31

Chance to get Chasm (Ben Reilly). Increased chances in 10x and 40x pulls

There Is Only Chasm Vault - 8/4 - 8/7

Chance to get Chasm (Ben Reilly).

40 Items:

○      1x Break Bad Legendary Store Token

○      1x 4-Star Prowler cover

○      3x Random 3-Star covers

○      6x Heroic tokens

○      4x 2500 Iso

○      6x 1000 Iso

○      5x 500 Iso

○      14x Two stars

Break Bad Legendary Store - 8/7 - 8/10

15% chance to get Chasm (Ben Reilly), Ultron (Age of Ultron), Killmonger (Erik Stevens)

Additional Tokens can be purchased for 25 Command Points

Comments

• leviticuschom
    leviticuschom Posts: 61 Match Maker
    edited July 2022
    I was curious about what could possibly what could make me hold off on pulling Garg/KK/MThor..... the answer is THIS. Looks like a blast. Strange combinations of powers, but cool to see an all passive 5*. Just gonna assume those are web tiles and we're getting a 5ymbiote. Ability 2, with that starting stun, looks spicy - very IH-like revivals too.

Fingers crossed for She-Venom.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2022
    Initial random thoughts…

- I’m confused as hell by these powers, but intrigued

-  First all-passive 5* (like Chavez in the 4* tier)

- Seems this character could be annoying to face and hard to down permanently as they’ll keep reviving and stunning your team. 

- The pre-match stun might find its way/have use on a team. I wonder if it will stop beginning of the match things like Rockets strikes from happening.

- Seemingly will start with 250% match damage and as the game goes on, the buff goes down. That’s damn near double Colossus/Adam Warlock match damage, and s/he should get two good hits in while the opponent is stunned. This will hurt boosted. 

- Interesting that this character drains AP from both teams but s/he doesn’t use it and this character does self-damage as well as damage to the enemy team, but this character revives. So is negative to both parties but their kit mitigates the negative effects. I like that.  

- Seems this character is almost all match damage, so Colossus would be a hard counter? Jane as well to remove all the special tiles. 

- If this character has high match damage/ tanks they will be putting special tiles on the board every single turn just matching tiles.  Then if you destroy those they put a second type of tile special tile out that when destroyed, heals this character. This is one I need to see in practice. Might be super convoluted to trigger like Gamora’s black or happening every other turn. Either way, I’m at least interested. 

Downing this character does seem difficult though. They will be putting two special tiles down per match. Let’s say they die. All the special tiles get destroyed, character gets revived and stuns the enemy team. The enemy team being stunned means s/he gets to match twice (putting 4 more specials on the board) and s/he only needs three to revive. Without a stun can this character be killed? Or am I reading it wrong? (“Hold my crescents…” -Moon Knight)
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,902 Chairperson of the Boards

- The pre-match stun might find its way/have use on a team. I wonder if it will stop beginning of the match things like Rockets strikes from happening.

Downing this character does seem difficult though. They will be putting two special tiles down per match. Let’s say they die. All the special tiles get destroyed, character gets revived and stuns the enemy team. The enemy team being stunned means s/he gets to match twice (putting 4 more specials on the board) and s/he only needs three to revive. Without a stun can this character be killed? Or am I reading it wrong? (“Hold my crescents…” -Moon Knight)

Most characters with a revive mechanism tend to die if they are the last character left regardless of whether the revive mechanism could save them. I think the 'game over' check takes precedence.

The pre-match stun is the interesting part. I presume it doesn't stop Grockets strikes or other characters start of battle mechanisms from triggering (like Gorrs tile removal). Also in a mirror match it would mean 1 side would stun the other (presumably player stuns AI) and that doesn't seem right so I assume in a mirror match both sides start stunned.

KGB

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is a very confusing set of powers for this villian for first impression. 

Google search points the clue to Venom.
    I'm going to guess web tiles and locked tiles, seeing how it's about ap denial, unless they want to introduce new tile type. I'm going to rephrase those abilities  for my own understanding, and all the below are based on my own assumption.

Ability 1 -  Black PASSIVE
    (PASSIVE) Whenever <CHARACTER> makes a match, converts 1-2 random tile(s) into web tiles, and whenever a web tile is matched or destroyed, creates 1-2 random locked tile(s). Web tiles do not award AP when matched. At the end of each turn, for each web tile on the board up to 3, both teams lose 1 AP from the front character’s strongest color with 1 or more AP, then <CHARACTER> and the enemy team’s character in front take damage equal to <CHARACTER>'s match damage in that color + bonus damage.

Ability 2 - Purple PASSIVE

(PASSIVE) At the start of the match, stun the enemy team for 1 turn. If <CHARACTER> is downed and there are 3 to 4 or more web tiles on the board, <CHARACTER> is revived with 25-30% health, plus more health per locked tile on the board, then destroys all web tiles on the board and stuns the enemy team for 1 turn. Whenever a locked tile is matched, <CHARACTER> heals low health.

Ability 3 - Green PASSIVE

(PASSIVE) <CHARACTER>’s match damage is multiplied by up to 250% as the average AP on both teams approaches 0, and down to 90% as the average AP on both teams approaches 4-5 plus 1 for every 2-3 locked tiles on the board (not counting Team-Up AP).

I'm going to throw Venom with Carbage and Jane Foster. Carbage and Killmonger will be interesting with Venom as well. Or we could go the revive route and play Sersi/Loki/Jean Grey with him.

Thanks for fulfilling my request of web tiles meta.  :p

• jsmjsmjsm00
    jsmjsmjsm00 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    This kit is wild. I'll be pulling for KK/Thor/??? for sure. 
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm gonna love this villain. Outstanding passives! He stuns the enemy team at the start of the battle! ( If someone asked me a power for a 6* character I'd tell him something like that).
    And hurting own allies could be a nasty tactic if playing certain defensive characters...
    This will be the first character without an active power.
    Looks like he will play a nasty team with AB or gargantos.
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,379 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not sure if he will work out with AB since he is making SPECTILE which I’m guessing is something similar to wasps tokens 
    He will be interesting with Gargantos and Crystal though.

Looks like the last 4 characters released for the 5* range all address current meta teams in different ways. Certainly looks to go more towards Rock Paper Scissors.

I will definitely be pulling for him to get rid of Morbius is PvP.
  • Bad
    By the way, playing gargantos enables AB, and it's another AP loss for the enemy, then.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    Might make Moon Knight worth pulling for with his AP steal when trying to be stunned and being immune.
  • leviticuschom
    leviticuschom Posts: 61 Match Maker
    Tony_Foot said:
    Looks great, but I will still pull for Garg and then this one with the next two. I don’t think Garg is a skip.
    Garg is great, no doubt. Only have enough to break 1 full hoard. Just waffling over Garg/???? They’re both quite fun
  • AlexR
    AlexR Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    Bad said:
    I'm gonna love this villain. Outstanding passives! He stuns the enemy team at the start of the battle! ( If someone asked me a power for a 6* character I'd tell him something like that).
    And hurting own allies could be a nasty tactic if playing certain defensive characters...
    This will be the first character without an active power.
    Looks like he will play a nasty team with AB or gargantos.
    First 5* character maybe, but not first in general. That honor already went to America Chavez years ago.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    Seems like this will be a super annoying character with iHulk. I could see both hanging around with minimal health doing damage to this character/the team, but continually reviving. I’d add Jean as my third just to be a complete jerk on team revive. 

I’m very curious now when the new dev team took over, because they have been knocking it out of the park post-Moon Knight. This character may not be meta but at least is super interesting. 
  • Bad
    So, today playing with spider gives a token because 60th spider anniversary, and I have a post event spider vault? Kinda seems like a bug to me.
    However if it's spider 60th anniversary, I have a good idea of who is this character...
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2022
    This character feels like an anti SW Colosus character.  There is already a hard counter in BP already in the game who will punish this character team.  With the self damage it will be interesting to see how good this character is.  I think they will be much stronger in a mirror match than just on their own.

also this character will make IHULK meta again.  SW was the hard counter to IHULK and now IHULK green door cannot be stopped.  This might be an extremely un fun meta
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    My gut sense tells me that Venom counters 5JF as well.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    All I'm waiting for now is to see the release vault. Do we find that out before Mthor goes in the tokens?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wow, this power set looks kinda wild so far lol. Start of the match opposing team stun?