• MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 950 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Any sign of the crystal 5* legendary store 🤔
    It's available now.
  • TheRiddler
    TheRiddler Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Any updated opinions now that the store is out and people potentially could have her champed at the moment?

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2022
    Options
    There were too many great stores so it's unlikely many people champing her.
    Usually I don't pull on special stores because I don't have enough cps without tokens help, and I'm not interested in classics.
    But finally I will pull for her together with abigail and possibly I will record a video.
  • SuperCarrot
    SuperCarrot Posts: 171 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Any updated opinions now that the store is out and people potentially could have her champed at the moment?

I am also curious about this. The opinions seem split currently.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    She'll be irritating on the right defensive teams. If you are looking for Apocalypse, Colossus or Shang-Chi type of teambuild, you can skip champing her. Based on last two years' trend, our meta characters were released between March to May. So, April and May could be the month of meta character releases.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Umm, wasn't SC released alongside his movie in September? Your trend seems to overlook the most recent meta release.
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    He's meta offensively, but SC-team doesn't have some newer qualities of meta on defense in pvps, and they are:

1) AI-proof
    2) not a glass cannon

He fits the meta of the Thorokoye era back in 2018 but since then, the qualities of meta have become stronger. Here are some pairs:

Kitty/BRB
    IHulkoye
    Apocalypse/BRB
    Colossus/Wanda

If SC were to be included in the meta, we might need to wait until August/September for our meta. There wasn't any meta released in Jan-Feb, Jun-Jul and Oct-Nov since 2018.
    In 2018 and 2019, meta were released with about 4 months apart between their releases. In 2020 and 2021, meta were released with only 1-2 months between their release.

Even though SC, to me, is an outlier, but he was released in August 2021.

Anyway, these are just something fun (to me) I look at.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    When I think of "meta", I primarily think of the teams left out on defense in PvP. Shang-Chi, while very useful in other aspects of the game, is a glass cannon. 

You're all free to define it your own way, but that's how I do it.
  • Bad
    Options
    Meta is the character who always appears, and SC always appears in every pvp many times.
    Imo it doesn't matters if he is a glass cannon as long as he can finish battles faster than a lot of teams targeting him.
    Okoye and chavez are glass cannons and they are meta without a doubt and I see them in all pvps.
    On the other hand on pve it's not possible to know which team players are using and SC surely willbe meta in there too.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You and I simply define the word differently. We also apparently see very different teams in PvP. SC and Chavez show up, but it's usually only one or two specific teams out of like 50, and they never finish near the top placement wise. I can't put the "meta" respect on that.
  • HoundofShadow
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Using the past few meta characters' attributes over the years, one can actually map out a checklist of whether a character is meta. SC fails at being the kind of meta that I listed out due to him not being AI-proof (AI SC doesn't know how to create matches using his red or to place his critical tile properly) and is a glass cannon.

As for SC being all over in pvps, I rarely see him as well. At the top, and I mean the top, it's still these few like Apocalypse & Wanda/BRB, Okoye/Wanda or Colossus/Wanda. No one going for high points is going to field SC as defense.

Anyway, Crystal hits the many attributes of my meta checklist, but she's a support character. If the dev releases a 5* that can leverage on her healing and turn it into some form of damage or damage shield, she could be meta. My idea of damage shield is that any excess healing amount will be tranferred into a counter that holds it permanently. The damage shield will reduce x damage depending on how much excess healing it holds. The stored healing amount will continue to increase or decrease each turn and doesn't reset.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I don't find boosted crystal to be especially dangerous in pick2 pvp,  but so far she has been a real defensive winner in riri's event.  A basic climbing combo of crystal/Valk has been getting me handfuls of defensive wins all day long.

I would expect crystal to be somewhat useful as a scarecrow with <8 hours left,  just because her healing extends matches, but with almost 12 hours left match time is not really an issue. 

Maybe people just aren't used to fighting her yet?   Or maybe my team is just marginally more attractive than boosted crystal + boosted sersi so I am getting more attacks?

What is everyone else's boosted-crystal-in-pvp experience?  Fwiw, crystal is pretty sustainable, which I like, but doesn't quite have enough offense for me to feel great fighting the most challenging opponents.  She is very much a 1b meta character imo. She is good enough to use but doesn't match the current top tier. And if the current top dogs get nerfed she will be one of the next in line.
  • Bad
    Options
    I'm running Crystal and sersi and I'm getting A LOT of defenses. I don't know if it's because of one or the other as actually they have a good sinergy. Sersi helps cascades and Crystal penalizes them (fighting Crystal a made a fine 3 or 4 match cascade and she totally healed an almost downed max boosted riri). Her godboosted AoE really hurts too.
    Sadly her default red gets reduced by SW, and it should'nt be that way.
    As many had pointed, her air elemental can help Jhor sustantially, and that fact actually can help to increase her popularity most than anything on the future, being Crystal a really versatile character.