**** Gorr (The God Butcher) ****

IceIX
IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin
edited August 2022 in Character Details

Gorr (The God Butcher)
4-Star Rarity 
Affiliations: Villains, Godlike, Cosmic, Non-Humans

"Every creature with eyes to see and stars above has wondered at the sky, for it is the realm of the Gods - to each world a pantheon, to each sky a significance. But the brightest lights cast the longest shadows... hell-bent on vengeance against the Gods that failed him, Gorr would see the heavens become a tomb. Wielding a terrifying weapon and commanding the shadows themselves, the God Butcher turns the Gods' own works against them in a path of destruction - and his vengeance will not end until they are all defeated."

(Abilities listed at level 70, followed by 270)
3520 Health / 13035 Health

37 | 8 | 9 | 33 | 10 | 42 | 23 | 4.0x
 74 | 11 | 12 | 65 | 13 | 85 | 43 | 4.0x

Edge of Spite and Shadow - 9  AP
The Necrosword has carved a path of silence through the bright points in the cosmos, the shadows growing longer, darker; So too shall it here. Gorr commits the shadows to an all-out assault while he strikes at the heart of his target. Deals 42 damage to a random enemy for each of Gorr's Shadow Minions on the board, then if the target has less than 20% health remaining, down them; Otherwise, Gorr deals damage equal to 10% of the target's maximum health, ignoring all Strike and Protect tiles. (Max level 81 damage)
  • Level 2: Deals 51 damage per minion. (Max level 99 damage)
  • Level 3: Deals 56 damage per minion. Downs the target at 25% health or less, otherwise deals damage equal to 15% of maximum health. (Max level 108 damage)
  • Level 4: Deals 130 damage per minion. Downs the target at 20% health or less, otherwise deals damage equal to 15% of maximum health. (Max level 252 damage)
  • Level 5: Deals 222 damage per minion. Downs the target at 25% health or less, otherwise deals damage equal to 20% of maximum health. (Max level 432 damage)
Nightmare Fuel - 7  AP
Gorr forges nightmares manifest from your very shadow, creating 3 2-turn Fortified Black Shadow Minion Repeater tiles (Maximum 3) that deal 93 damage to a random enemy. (Max level 180 damage)

(PASSIVE) At the start of the battle, Gorr creates 2 2-turn Fortified Black Shadow Minion Repeater tiles. For each of his Shadow Minions on the board, Gorr takes 5% less damage from enemy matches and abilities, and while Gorr has one or more Shadow Minions on the board, he takes no extra damage from enemy Strike tiles. Whenever one of Gorr's Shadow Minions is destroyed, he gains 2 Yellow AP.
  • Level 2: 4 maximum minions.
  • Level 3: Repeater tiles deal 113 damage. Gorr takes 8% less damage from enemy matches and abilities. (Max level 218 damage)
  • Level 4: Gorr creates 3 1-turn tiles. 5 maximum minions.
  • Level 5: Repeater tiles deal 146 damage. Gorr takes 10% less damage from enemy matches and abilities. (Max level 283 damage)
Your Own Weapons -  PASSIVE
(PASSIVE) Gorr is a master at using his opponent's weapons against them, felling gods with their own power. At the start of battle and whenever an enemy places more than 6 Strike, Attack, or Protect tiles on the board in a turn, at the start of the turn Gorr converts all new enemy tiles of those types into basic tiles, dealing 37 damage per tile and increases his match damage by this total, evenly divided among his tile strengths. Gorr then creates a 4-turn Countdown tile dealing damage equal to 1x the converted total match damage. (Max level 108 damage)
  • Level 2: Activated on 5 tile placements in a turn.
  • Level 3: Gorr creates a 3-turn Countdown tile dealing damage equal to 2x the converted total match damage.
  • Level 4: Activated on 4 tile placements in a turn.
  • Level 5: Activated on 3 tile placements in a turn. Gorr creates a 3-turn Countdown tile dealing damage equal to 3x the converted total match damage.

Release Events

Story

Operation Spider Silk - 7/14 - 7/18

Gorr (God Butcher) in Placement Rewards

Welcome to S.H.I.E.L.D. - 7/17 - 7/22

Gorr (God Butcher) shards in Progression rewards

Rewards tokens to the Gorr & Foes vault

Infinite Pursuit - 7/18 - 7/21

Gorr (God Butcher) shards in Progression rewards

Waking Nightmare - Boss Event - 7/21 - 7/24

Thor (Mighty Thor) covers in Progression rewards

Versus

Scrapper 142 - 7/14 - 7/18

Gorr (God Butcher) shards as Placement rewards

Butcher’s Block - 7/17 - 7/20

Rewards tokens to the Gorr & Foes vault

Offers

Gorr & Foes Vault - 7/17 - 7/22

80 Item Vault:

• 3x 4-Stars

• 1x Gorr (God Butcher) cover

• 1x Valkyrie (Asgardian Warrior) cover

• 1x Random 4-Star cover

• 7x Tokens

• 1x Legendary token

• 1x Mighty Token

• 2x Heroic Tokens

• 3x Beginner Support tokens

• 6x Iso-8

• 1x 5,000 Iso-8

• 2x 2,500 Iso-8

• 3x 1,000 Iso-8

• 15x 3-Stars

• 3x Loki (Dark Reign) cover

• 12x Random 3-Star covers

• 49x 2-Stars

• 10x Thor (NOW!) cover

• 39x Random 2-Star covers

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2022
    Wow, this character is crazy. He has Retribution-like power for his black. And his black repeaters are called minions.  :D Also, his black deals damage based on a certain % of target's maximum health.

For his yellow, a maximum of 2 repeaters at the start of the game, which will reduce  enemies' abilities and match damage dealt to him by x% x 2. This reminds me of Wiccan's yellow. And he has 5* SMBB passive ability that works only for him. And he gains 2 yellow aps for each of his repeater destroyed. 

The last power is obviously specially made for Polaris. Only she can create 3 SAP tiles consistently every turn in a single turn.

The build can go either way depending on your goals. However, Morbius would remove all his repeaters easily. I'm more interested in the % needed to down opponents. 3* Punisher does it for <40% at 5 covers, so I expect it to be slightly higher than Punisher's like 50-55%.

Please put this guy in challenge node with minions that feed him yellow and black aps.  >:)
  • Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 342 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2022
    Looks cool/interesting, but I don't really get the purple.  If the enemy makes 10 strike tiles of strength 100 each, this power activates on your turn, you destroy all 10 and does...1000 damage?  I don't get the "converts into match damage" much less the distributed evenly.  Does that mean for that turn you'd get a +333 to your 3 colors or...?
  • HoundofShadow
    The way I interpret is this:

Assume 10 protect tiles of 100 strength each were created, the total strength is 1000. There are 7 different type of match damage: 6 colours + 1 teamups. Each coloured and tu match damage is increased by  1000/7= 143. As for match damage via tile destruction, it depends on whether it happens before or after the conversion. Then, create a cd that deals 1000*3= 3000 damage.

The match damage increment seems to be for the rest of the game.
  • Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 342 Mover and Shaker
    Yeah that makes sense, but is still worded strangely lol.  Anyone have any clues as to who it could be?  I know people thought Gorr but that's too many affiliations...I was thinking kingpin from the repeaters/down/he's been in the news returning for Echo's show.  But I think his stuff would be more goons/thugs or something.  Maybe annihilus or something negative zoney?
  • Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 437 Mover and Shaker
    This character was created solely to hunt down Polaris teams.
  • HoundofShadow
    The dev recently added two new affiliations to the game: Godlike and Enhanced. It's probably some new affiliations.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    Reading the first 2 powers I thought no way will this work, players hate 8+ AP powers. But the third power is a Polaris killer finally , in theory.  And a yellow AP feeder is long overdue . This makes Okoye near Immortal. 
  • scottishhaig
    scottishhaig Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    So I'm fairly new to MPQ with just over a year playing, but I'm not 100% understanding the contempt with which many players view Polaris..?  Don't get me wrong.  She is a beast (especially in PVE), but I actually seek out Pol teams in PVP as her health is so low that even my poor roster can take her out in 1 or 2 turns.  And I've only just started to dabble in PVP.  Sorry if I'm missing something obvious. ;)

Certainly no argument that this new character was designed with her (& BRB) in mind.  It will be interesting to see how effective the black and yellow powers are for non-Polaris (& BRB) teams.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    That purple sounds really interesting. I’ll be curious to see this one in practice.
  • HoundofShadow
    Generally, 5* players have no problem with Polaris. I think those who dislike Polaris are those 3* or lower players. I think most 4* players in forum don't have problem with her. It has to do with whether those players have the right counter for her and whether they are healthpack conscious. One major complain among all tiers of players would be during Balance of Powers where Polaris/Medusa/Carbage (?) is a pain. The other one would be during Simulator PvE where Polaris can be a pain for some.

The new dev mentioned they would like to shift the playstyle around and all other counters to Polaris till date have not done it successfully. I think this is the dev way of trying to shift playstyle in 4* land around.

One drawback of his purple is against Polaris/BRB because it destroys those protect tiles that let them gain green/blue aps. If this character can't be stunned, it would be an even greater counter against Polaris/BRB.
  • scottishhaig
    Generally, 5* players have no problem with Polaris. I think those who dislike Polaris are those 3* or lower players. I think most 4* players in forum don't have problem with her. It has to do with whether those players have the right counter for her and whether they are healthpack conscious. One major complain among all tiers of players would be during Balance of Powers where Polaris/Medusa/Carbage (?) is a pain. The other one would be during Simulator PvE where Polaris can be a pain for some.

The new dev mentioned they would like to shift the playstyle around and all other counters to Polaris till date have not done it successfully. I think this is the dev way of trying to shift playstyle in 4* land around.

One drawback of his purple is against Polaris/BRB because it destroys those protect tiles that let them gain green/blue aps. If this character can't be stunned, it would be an even greater counter against Polaris/BRB.
    Thanks!  Good point on the purple!
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2022
    I think it is very interesting that we are consistently unsure how to read these new powers.  I think it's clear that demi had (1) developed a consistent lexicon that let them describe powers in a way that immediately make sense to vets, and (2) demi had probably settled into a design rut and wasn't really pushing the envelope too much. So it was easier for us to understand the new power descriptions because the universe of the possible eas finite and fully exlpored.  Now that BCS is here, they are seemingly developing their own new lexicon (which leads to some inevitable confusion as we try to learn it too), but also mabe trying some new things, which leads to even more confusion from us.

I was among the more pessimistic camp with regard to BCS taking over, particularly with regard to characrer design. The early returns, however have been pretty positive, with some complex and interesting new characters added to the game, and only a smallish stumble with the heroic boss event. I guess the real test will be 3*s in September and the roster slot crush.

This characrer looks like a hard polaris counter as well as a decent damage dealer in 4* land. There used to be a place for 3* pun's red for transitioners, so seeing a similar power in 4* land might be a welcome (if late) addition to that tier.

Also, this characrer produces as many as 5 1-turn repeaters that deal damage to random targets, right?  That will make it extremely hard to hide squishy supports, especially when paired with someone like okoye or apoc to boost that damage.
  • AdeptusRevolt
    AdeptusRevolt Posts: 85 Match Maker
    Two observations to be confirmed: This will trigger on initial placements, and like Elektra it will be triggered on Kitty's boost of tiles since those powers are technically replacing tiles. 
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,379 Chairperson of the Boards
    He is clearly a Polaris counter, but if you bring him into 5* land he is going to punish your team if Wanda is out.
    It looks like Rock Paper Scissors character design to me.
    I will probably slot him in against Polaris BRB teams if he does any damage compared to Morbius.
    No idea who the character is though being a villain with 3 associations.
  • CharlieLima
    CharlieLima Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    It’d be great to have the black power automatically show us the % of health of the enemy, even if the ability is a two-step process.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    The problem with Polaris is the vast amount of players who use her turning PvP into a monotonous series of attacks of clones . Even though it’s a guaranteed win using any Morbius team, do you really think it’s in the best interest of the game to get to 50 wins just by beating BRolaris 50 times ? We all complain we get tired of the same events over and over and want something new. I think the devs are addressing that in PvP. Sure a lot of players who are one dimensional will get angry over this character but I for one will welcome it like the second coming .
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,379 Chairperson of the Boards
    You are certainly right about Polaris saturation, but I don’t think anyone will be angry with this release.
    It is in the interest of the game at large to make a hard counter to her, and it’s better in the 4* tier than the 5*.
  • jeffsterz
    jeffsterz Posts: 50 Match Maker
    The problem with Polaris is the vast amount of players who use her turning PvP into a monotonous series of attacks of clones . Even though it’s a guaranteed win using any Morbius team, do you really think it’s in the best interest of the game to get to 50 wins just by beating BRolaris 50 times ? We all complain we get tired of the same events over and over and want something new. I think the devs are addressing that in PvP. Sure a lot of players who are one dimensional will get angry over this character but I for one will welcome it like the second coming .
    I’m personally seeing less and less of Polaris as I progress in the game. I’ve recently champed all of my top five 5* (Kitty, Apoc, BRB, Shang and Crystal) and it has made a big impact on my gameplay — for the better.

I originally only champed them to help my progress in PvE, and that has been great. However, it seems that in doing so, I now only get boosted 5* matches in PvP, thus eliminating Polaris from my Q. If I ever see Polaris, she’s now 370, yet still so squishy she’s more of a relief than a pest.

I agree that this will be great for those still facing Polaris on a match by match basis, but in reality, there are already so many counters to her. I always had fun in using different team sets to beat her in SHIELD. In PvP, I usually did have to mirror match. GRocket matches were always a gimme.
  • scottishhaig
    jeffsterz said:
    I’m personally seeing less and less of Polaris as I progress in the game. I’ve recently champed all of my top five 5* (Kitty, Apoc, BRB, Shang and Crystal) and it has made a big impact on my gameplay — for the better.

I originally only champed them to help my progress in PvE, and that has been great. However, it seems that in doing so, I now only get boosted 5* matches in PvP, thus eliminating Polaris from my Q. If I ever see Polaris, she’s now 370, yet still so squishy she’s more of a relief than a pest.

I agree that this will be great for those still facing Polaris on a match by match basis, but in reality, there are already so many counters to her. I always had fun in using different team sets to beat her in SHIELD. In PvP, I usually did have to mirror match. GRocket matches were always a gimme.
    There's always going to be a 'meta.'  I fully agree that Polaris is saturated in PVP, but she is followed very closely by BRB, SW, Colossus & Apoc (at least for me).  So Polaris & BRB today, and (insert next meta(s) here) tomorrow.

It's certainly more desirable to have variety, but 99% of players are always going to utilize the optimal way to win so you're just removing one character and replacing it with another (IMHO).  Nothing wrong with that so long as we know that's the nature of the game.  And most games for that matter.

At the end of the day we play a color match game with a comic character twist.  There really isn't a huge impact to be made to the base aspect of the play (again IMHO).

All that said, change is good and new and interesting characters are certainly welcome!