Endless Detour [Investigating]

Options
madwren
madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
Endless Detour will autocast even if there is absolutely nothing in play or in the graveyard (for example, if you fill it with mana on your very first turn).   It should not cast if there are no legal targets.

Comments

• Janosik
    Janosik Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It would be nice if, when fixing this card, it didn't autocast at all.

Removing a card in the graveyard is an effect you don't often want to use this card for, so it would be nice if it asked before it did it.
  • Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hello guys,
    Thank you for all the information provided, this issue will be investigated!
    If you have any additional information that you consider relevant, please don't hesitate to send me 😊
    Rebeca.

• jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Relevant:
    Spells: Some of them ask if you want to cast them, but others will autocast without asking first. What determines if a spell will prompt before it is cast?
    Answer: Spells may require prompts in situations that require a target for the effects or in situations that may be harmful to the player to cast them if this hasn’t been part of a major strategy. There may be some exceptions for this behavior, but mostly this is how the prompts behave.
  • Pirhotek
    Pirhotek Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Also, it will not work against Ward creatures at all, even after paying the Ward cost.  
  • Pirhotek
    Pirhotek Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Seems to be it will not work against just Westgate Regent even after paying the 8 life
  • Janosik
    Options
    Endless Detour now seems to be asking for confirmation to cast, but if you say no, it still casts anyway
  • boopers
    boopers Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    edited July 2022
    Options
    The only time endless detour should not cast is if your opponent has no GY, no hand, no creatures, No vanguards, and no non land supports. I haven’t played it yet, so maybe it’s bugged, but thats how it reads. I’m sure something is up, but a lot of cards have both a targeted trigger and a non targeted one. In this case, moving a card from hand to top of library. 

Sleep with the fishes will autocast to create the fish token if there is no legal target to disable. Fatal absence will autocast without any targets because it creates a clue token as an additional trigger instead of a “then” trigger. 

I agree that I’m not a big fan of auto casting sometimes, but the game would be painful if it didn’t exist. 
  • Janosik
    Options
    boopers said:

I agree that I’m not a big fan of auto casting sometimes, but the game would be painful if it didn’t exist. 
    No autocasting would definitely make playing combo decks much more irritating to play!

But us control players generally like to be asked!
  • Janosik
    Options
    You don't seem to be able to use the 5th effect of Endless Detour (Return the first card in target players hand to the top of their library) if the 4th Effect fails (i.e. there are no cards in their graveyard to return to their library)
  • Janosik
    Options

Thanks for fixing Void Rend! It was from the SNC set, released in June 2022, and it's been bugged since release.

Any chance you could fix Endless Detour? It was from the SNC set, released in June 2022, and it's been bugged since release.

• BrSchnitz
    BrSchnitz Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    Options

Endless Detour will not allow you to target creatures with ward, even if the ward cast is paid. This is consistent behavior - it happens in every instance where the opponent has a creature with ward, you make a swap, and then pay the ward cast.

I see that others have reported the same issue.

• Julie71
    Julie71 MTGPQ Mod Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Options

@Magic:PQ Support Team
    this needs attention