Gargantos Boss Event Change (Live) (6/23/22)

1234568»

Comments

• SuperCarrot
    SuperCarrot Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    Personally now that I have had time to digest the event, I think the tuning of it made for a good event. Once again, thanks for listening Devs and please keep trying new things! 
  • ironsmudgie
    ironsmudgie Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    Now that it is over, at 4 people in my alliance hit max progression and we cleared round 6.  Not bad for a new alliance with mostly young rosters.  All in all, not a bad event
  • jsmjsmjsm00
    jsmjsmjsm00 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    I hard agree with @Bad and others with similar views.

If you are a 5* player without any of the needed 4* champed, that is a you problem for trying to skip having a complete roster. 

If you are a 3* player, it's been shown you can get far with the loaners. I think it is not reasonable to expect full progression and 2 5* covers as a 3* player in a heroic event though.

If you can clear late rounds yourself but your alliance didn't get full progression, then you just need an alliance on your level.

My alliance got full progression with only half of us meeting full individual progression. We used team ups, boosts, and communication to get as many points as possible from those that were struggling with weaker rosters. We are an entirely casual alliance with zero pvp or PvE requirements. 

This event was a challenge and rewarded those that put in the effort. It was fun working with my alliance to get this accomplished. I echo @Bad that most complaints here are due to the player lacking determination and interest. This event, for once, did not guarantee full progression at minimal effort, and people whined and tapped out rather than do their best. 
  • Ultrace
    Ultrace Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    Thus far, most posts have tackled the issue of feasibility, but very few have discussed how not fun the event was, being locked into using only the sub-par and (subjectively) unlikeable Dark Avengers team.

Pairing with these characters only in the boss fights and the side nodes made the event feel like a true grind, unlike most boss events. There was no real discussion in our alliance of strategies or combinations; once people latched onto Agent Venom and Scorpion as the MVPs, with the third unit being immaterial, we didn't witness any real diversity. This was like a Puzzle Gauntlet event where you had to use the same characters throughout the entire event.

Yes, the rewards were high. Two 5* covers (neither of which I achieved, and that's absolutely fine), but the road to get there felt more like a job than a game -- in my opinion. I think (as an amendment to my earlier post) that this would be the most important takeaway from the devs. Great rewards have to be balanced with fun. A boss event that gave out only 5* covers and LL tokens where you couldn't use anything but the 1* characters and every battle was a struggle would be bad, regardless of the rewards involved.
  • peanut_gallery
    peanut_gallery Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    I am curious about how other folks tend to play Boss Events, or even PvE.  Most players I've known usually go with the META team for the fastest clear times.  What that team is may differ by player and preference, but there's usually not a lot of switch up in teams.  It's the same team plowing through nodes in the fastest way possible.

I didn't see this event as any different.  Once the AV/Scorpion duo became apparent, that team (plus Yelena for me) just plowed through everything relatively quickly, with great rewards.  It was clear our alliance was struggling a bit with the change (we hit alliance progression almost a day later than usual), but folks adapted and found their groove.  For me at least, it provided a respite from my go-to Okoye/Hulk for boss events, and it ended up being refreshing.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ultrace said:
    Thus far, most posts have tackled the issue of feasibility, but very few have discussed how not fun the event was, being locked into using only the sub-par and (subjectively) unlikeable Dark Avengers team.
    This!  I had no issue finishing the event but it really wasn't FUN.  I basically played the same team for every side-node/Boss and that was that.
  • jsmjsmjsm00
    People play the same pick-2 for the entirety of normal boss events anyways. To say that this event is un-fun for that reason, when it is exactly how you (and many many others) would play any boss event is disingenuous.

This event made us choose a team or teams that were different than we would have normally. This was a significant game changer and should have inspired more thought than usual regarding team and supports to use. That is what made it fun. I had fun. My alliance had fun.

If you do not find it fun to face challenges then maybe you should consider that heroic events aren't for you, rather than trying to turn heroic events into more of the same.

The dark avengers were not sub-par in this event. They were what everyone used, so by definition they were par. People succeeded just fine with them. If you did not, then it was likely due to your own decisions around how you played this event, or due to setting unrealistic expectations for your roster.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    People play the same pick-2 for the entirety of normal boss events anyways. To say that this event is un-fun for that reason, when it is exactly how you (and many many others) would play any boss event is disingenuous.

This event made us choose a team or teams that were different than we would have normally. This was a significant game changer and should have inspired more thought than usual regarding team and supports to use. That is what made it fun. I had fun. My alliance had fun.
    (a) Not sure how my preferring to choose the pick-2 I want to use vs having to choose the Dark Avengers is disingenuous in the event not being fun.  For me, it was 100% not fun to be forced to use the DA on all Boss and nodes.  Did I finish?  Sure.  I have a champed GG and SamDaken.  But it wasn't fun for me.

(b) How much thought did this really take?  And once you went through the thought process, did you change each round?  I know that I didn't.  Same team over and over again that I would never pick in a million years because of how dull it was.  Do I change teams during a normal boss event?  I sure do.  Great way to try synergies and see what works.  Did I change teams during this boss event?  No, because once I knew what worked, I wanted it over as soon as possible.
  • Tarelgeth
    Tarelgeth Posts: 67 Match Maker
    Pick2/1Required does more for roster consideration than 3Required.  3Rrquired, fine just use those three, nothing else makes a difference.  But if you give me a 1Required of 5Storm it's gonna make me pick a different other two characters than if you gave me a 1Required of OldLogan.

Having an entirely restricted cast is less choice, not more exposure.

That it's entirely restricted to a cast of characters who suck and are annoying is just insult to injury.

I succeeded.  It wasn't hard.  It wasn't fun.  There's no puzzle in being given no choices.

Puzzle Gauntlet and Welcome To are challenging and require creative solutions.
  • jsmjsmjsm00
    Tarelgeth said:
    Pick2/1Required does more for roster consideration than 3Required.  
    This is absolutely false. Pick-2 does virtually nothing for team selection for 5* players. The vast majority will go in with their best two-person team regardless of the third. Having 3 required actually made it necessary to change how you play. 

If your go-to team in pick 3 is iHulk, Okoye, Valkyrie. Then you will choose iHulk and Okoye in pick-2 a vast majority of the time. The single required character does not change how you play this team in a majority of cases.

If your best team is Shang Chi, Valkyrie, doc ock in pick-3, you will likely choose Shang and Valk in pick-2 and again, your game play does not change in any significant way due to the one required character.

Having one required character does not change the best team comp for PvE. It does not change the game play for 5* players in boss events.

This heroic event with the limited roster DID change gamplay and the team comp from what would have been played in pick 2.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ultrace said:
    I think a lot of posts have tackled fun/enjoyment. Not a lot of debate or discussion has spurned from those posts though. Reason being- fun is subjective. I had a blast with it and am hoping for more restricted/boss style events with high level rewards in the future. I know many others who loved it as well (and of course there are those who hated it and every opinion in between those extremes exists as well). 

The feasibility portion is actually debatable which is why I think those discussion tend to get more traction. 5* players dying in round 1 saying things like (paraphrasing)  “this is hopeless, Im going to quit the game if it doesn’t change”, and then people showing videos rocking it with loaners. That is where most of the discussion happens.  

Put another way, enjoyment level is good feedback for the devs (we basically throw our opinion on the pile and move on) but the feasibility is good discussion for us players. 

The overlap is there are some people whose enjoyment is tied up in feasibility. And if they’re saying “I don’t enjoy it because I can’t compete”, then it’s important to correct that narrative (if it is feasible). 
  • Tarelgeth
    Tarelgeth Posts: 67 Match Maker
    Tarelgeth said:
    Pick2/1Required does more for roster consideration than 3Required.  
    This is absolutely false. Pick-2 does virtually nothing for team selection for 5* players. The vast majority will go in with their best two-person team regardless of the third. Having 3 required actually made it necessary to change how you play. 

If your go-to team in pick 3 is iHulk, Okoye, Valkyrie. Then you will choose iHulk and Okoye in pick-2 a vast majority of the time. The single required character does not change how you play this team in a majority of cases.

If your best team is Shang Chi, Valkyrie, doc ock in pick-3, you will likely choose Shang and Valk in pick-2 and again, your game play does not change in any significant way due to the one required character.

Having one required character does not change the best team comp for PvE. It does not change the game play for 5* players in boss events.

This heroic event with the limited roster DID change gamplay and the team comp from what would have been played in pick 2.
    That's.. wrong on every single count.  If you give me 5Storm, I'll want to use ShangChi, not Okoye.  If you give me Ultron, I'll want to use Apocalypse, not BetaReyBill.  If you give me Carnage, I'll want to use Kitty.  If you give me Hope, I'll.. try to find something, I guess, I dunno what, but I'll look for something.

If you give me three Dark Avengers, I'll use ..three Dark Avengers.  *tiny unenthusiastic flag twirl*

You tell me which one is greater variation and responsiveness.  Go ahead.  Try and tell me the second one is better.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    First the big argument for the complainers was that it's not possible it's too hard with bad characters,etc...
    I destroyed that argument with my videos showing that only with the loaners or using some help it's possible to win and score until the end.
    And now the big argument is how awful and not fun it was.
    Like I said to another user, it's still the same game than a week ago, just that on this event it was forcing the player to adapt, and this is actually the real thing many players don't like, because they feel too comfortable with their metas.
    Did you already embrace your beloved okoye for wakanda PvE? Did you already caress her baldy head and told her never again? 
    Perhaps she thought "Actually I enjoyed the short vacation" :D
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards