Gargantos Boss Event Change (Live) (6/23/22)

Options

Comments

• NemoAbernnigan
    NemoAbernnigan Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    This event really makes the Quantum Realm support and Scorpion shine. Good odds at 5 purple AP at match start, and since my boosted Scorpion practically one shots Gargantos with his purple it makes the matches where I get the purple at start really easy. It's also really fun in the nodes. Enemy casts generate 2 purple if you have the red skill maxed, so getting the 10 AP from the starting 5 is just one match and one enemy cast. Then you get to just slam through enemies with the purple. 9 out of the 10 cost refunded on kills, and 4 powerful blows means you can often gain AP from casting it and getting multiple kills. First time I've really gotten to see Scorpion live up to his potential.

The other fun thing for me has been blowing people up with boosted Bullseye's purple, which Scorpion and Quantum Realm gets you the 7 for even with no purple matches, and filling the field with 13 strike tiles. Then if you have 7 green AP you can cast Scorpion's green and boost the strength of all of those strike tiles while hitting the enemy team, or you can use Venom's green which blows up the board and deletes the target.

My alliance is only on round 4 or 5 right now, but I haven't had trouble with the event yet, though I did get a character downed in a couple Gargantos fights before the patch. I'd say the difficulty level and restricted roster are definitely worth the rewards. I may need a more active Alliance for the next Boss event, as it's hard to make progress with only 2 Alliance members with full points, but that's my only issue. I'm hoping the standard 8 hour refreshes on the nodes will be enough to make full personal progression at least. If not, that's the one thing I'd change. Even someone not in an Alliance should still be able to make full progression on the personal rewards IMHO.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,913 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I’m also tired of hearing there is no synergy amongst the 5*s. I’m just learning how great Yelena/Daken are together for those side nodes. Especially as many have a goon or two. Yelena keeps the AP in check, slowly spams strikes. Once there are two on the board, Daken’s repeaters can actually do damage and just melt fools. Either Venom provides a nice yellow outlet. Flash also has a cheap active black in a pinch, if you don’t want to spam Daken’s repeaters. 

Lots of synergy. Just no blue. 
  • purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Thank you for a quick turnaround on a Boss Event!
    Thank you for 2x ***** Covers! 
    Thank you for another Heroic Event!
    Thank you for working late on Friday and into Saturday to make fixes!
    Thank you for responding to the thread and sharing metrics!

I have always loved AV and Scorps is really good, I covet a better Yelena: she’s a sleeper, I have a champ Doby but he has been meat more than bombs. 
    Dark Avengers was a debatable choice. I don’t think totally awful out of touch etc, but; Only one active blue power, the bench is shallow and old. Shrug. Whats the scope of impact though: if this is the worst team affiliated heroic event then we have it pretty good!! Now we done with DA let the good times roll!! 
    Ohh whats that? There is a Runaways tag?….looks at Gert…checks sharding queue….how about Mutants next!!!

keep up the good work and until Jim Shooter makes his triumphant return to Marvel Directing the hit Disney+ villain reboot: Petrusky; make mine MPQ!
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,710 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IceIX said:

It's possible that players would have come back and tried it after saying "heck no" with the previous settings, but from the data that we were getting, the event needed a bit of a bump to make it more *generally* approachable. Post bump it's been great! We've been seeing a lot of engagement from players that don't normally get a look in, and Alliances overall are clearing further than they normally would. So while I certainly wouldn't say this is a total success, there seems to have been much more positive than negative with a lot of the negative things that can be actively worked on to fix in future.

And that even goes for non-Heroic events, so if you read that thinking that the sky may be falling and it's Heroics all the way down from now on, fret not.
    Ok but then how about adding more covers and rewards past the normal progression. Not 5* but shards or covers for 4* for the players that don’t want to either treat these easy boss events like a weekend off or have to put in the extra work for the players in the alliance that can’t make the grade or don’t play.

The weekend off players still get the time off and those of us that want to continue playing get rewarded for it. 

Either way I expect every single time heroics are run pitchforks will be out, boss event or not because people can’t be bothered to learn new tactics that take longer than 30 seconds.
  • Tarelgeth
    Tarelgeth Posts: 67 Match Maker
    Options
    I won.  I beat progression, I got my reward.  I'm gonna keep playing to help my alliance get its reward.

Was this fun?  Not at all.

It didnt reward creativity or strategy in any way.  It didn't reward roster development.  All it did was say "Here's the two or three characters that make a difference.  Got them?  Yes? Good.  No?  Get wrecked."

Luckily, I've got a champed Scorpion.  I won.

Puzzle?  Yawn.  There was no puzzle here.  Nothing to be built or planned.  No design or strategy or coming at it from different angles and trying different playstyles.  Just win or lose on the flip of a coin.

Difficult would be good.  I hear stories of long ago when Boss events were introduced, you were *expected* to lose, and shaving more and more health off the boss each time was your measure of accomplishment.  Personally, I love the sound of that.

But this?  This wasn't hard (for me).  It was just annoying.  That's a bad method of artificially introducing difficulty.
  • Carnifex
    Carnifex Posts: 102 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Finished personal progression on today's second flip, alliance has just finished full rewards on the third. 
    The nerf was highly appreciated as without I'm not sure if we would have finished, especially during those higher rounds, the side nodes were still killer!

I understand why the devs wanted to try a heroic event, and to make us use teams we wouldn't normally. But with the lack of synergy between the DA, I only ran one team the last couple of days, so variety still wasn't experienced to be honest. I did start to enjoy the challenge, but I would have preferred to perhaps use at least two teams. 

Congrats to all who have managed to finish, and RIP to anyone without a champed Scorpion  :#

• derrickn
    derrickn Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    Options
    So.   I just pulled two one-star Yelena's from the Peer Into Madness vault.    Which has no one-star covers.    ****?
  • ct451
    ct451 Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    Options
    derrickn said:
    So.   I just pulled two one-star Yelena's from the Peer Into Madness vault.    Which has no one-star covers.    ****?
    Before the 2*s in order. Always a fun surprise. I got 5 of those.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    derrickn said:
    It does have 1* in it. They're just not located at the end
  • ct451
    ct451 Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    Options
    For those who don't understand why people complain:

This event is like you wanting to have pizza for dinner with all your favorite toppings but made to eat boiled cauliflower you don't like and when you complain they pre-chew the cauliflower for you to make it easier to swallow. 

Both fill you up but you only enjoy one.

• shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ct451 said:

This event is like you wanting to have pizza for dinner with all your favorite toppings but made to eat boiled cauliflower you don't like and when you complain they pre-chew the cauliflower for you to make it easier to swallow. 

What if I told you that you could have cauliflower pizza with your favorite toppings and that you could also enjoy it? :O
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,017 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ct451 said:

This event was nothing like that. Your comparison is terrible. 
  • ironsmudgie
    ironsmudgie Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    Options
    While only having a few characters to play with was very limiting, it looks like I will stil be able to get max person progression.  And my very newly formed slacker alliance is doing very well, despite for a 1st time alliance event.  I would welcome the return of future Heroics.  As someone that started at basically day one of the game, and then took a few years off, passively grinding isn't as fun as a genuine challenge.   As long as we have plenty of notice to allocate resources, I enjoy it.
  • Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 571 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2022
    Options
    My alliance has got thru this event as easy as a normal event.

If you have all champed 4s, this event was super easy. Agent venom would kill gargs in turn 2 or 3. To be frank, anyone who is hating on this event either hasn't even tried it, or have such a narrow roster it's laughable.

At round 7 I could do a full clear using maybe 4 health packs.

There isn't heaps of synergy but you don't need it. Scorpion self supplies ap, and agent venom hits hard.
  • Eirikr56
    Eirikr56 Posts: 29 Just Dropped In
    Options
    In later rounds the blue power still 1 shots anyway, so this nerf didn't really mean much from my perspective. Very very frustrating and it feels impossible if yoy dont have the couple of key characters champed.
  • derrickn
    derrickn Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    Options
    ct451 said:
    derrickn said:
    Before the 2*s in order. Always a fun surprise. I got 5 of those.
    Oh, oops.    Yup, there they are.    Thanks for clueing me in.
  • TrixieTime
    TrixieTime Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I must admit that I ended up really enjoying figuring out and playing Scorpion / Agent Venom / 3 Daken as a team. Good synergy and color spread. Hit full progression. 
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Round 8 with 2 loaners and my bullseye level 252(not really that hard to have it for any player).
    https://youtu.be/jQ4yZS8rMyY
  • CoxLargo
    CoxLargo Posts: 53 Match Maker
    Options
    Lets hope next event, wont be this messy. It was their first... annoying AF, but hey wish for the next one.

BUT NO MORE 1* **** in any boss event vault!