Gargantos Boss Event Change (Live) (6/23/22)

Comments

• Painmonger
    Painmonger Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    I have to say, asuch as it does take a little longer, I appreciate having more puzzle in my puzzle quest from time to time. My alliance is pretty good at boss events, and currently in round 7 and on target to finish 8 with the 2nd flip Saturday with 19 players, so it's very doable if you don't talk yourself out of it. I also feel like 2 5* covers SHOULD be more of a challenge to acquire.

I do also recognize that I've been playing a long time, so I have a developed roster & experience with the Heroics of old, so I can definitely understand the frustrations of players who haven't been around for 2+ years. I also think it's a little funny the patch only boosted the loaned characters, so if you have the required characters leveled up already there's pretty much no change there.

Juggernaut is the Hulk of the Dark Avengers, so why isn't he on the list for boosted 4s?

Lastly, I'm not sure I buy the explaination for 1* in the vault. We've had hundreds of events with boosted/required Storm, Spidey, Ironman etc & I don't remember that ever happening before.
  • Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    I just did a full clear on round six without using a health pack.

I used goblin, agent venom, venom, daken, scorpion and loaner samdak.

If your fours are above 300 you should do fine. 
    Add some supports and ap boosts. Agent venom is oneshotting gargs on turn two.

Initially this event seemed terrible but so far it's been manageable. Well see the later rounds
  • FairyBlades52
    FairyBlades52 Posts: 49 Just Dropped In
    I’m not having any issues with SD, Venom and Scorpion, no supports. Our alliance just got to round 6. 
    The roster restriction is just hurting some of the smaller roster, newer players, but hopefully we make it to R8. 
    I like the synergy, how SD red will use Venoms enemy protects. 

• Wïnter
    Wïnter Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    Appreciate the fast response! Hopefully we can all get through round 7 and 8.
  • NemoAbernnigan
    NemoAbernnigan Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    I've seen a lot of people use the term Heroic to refer to this boss event, and I'm totally out of the loop on that. What exactly does that mean in this context?
  • TheVulture
    TheVulture Posts: 413 Mover and Shaker
    I've seen a lot of people use the term Heroic to refer to this boss event, and I'm totally out of the loop on that. What exactly does that mean in this context?
    It is just the term the previous dev used when they implemented PvE events with boosted rewards and restricted rosters - it has been done before, though possibly years ago!
  • Zalasta
    Zalasta Posts: 264 Mover and Shaker
    We're half way through round 7, which is a bit behind where we might normally be, but we won't have any problem finishing the event. Not sure how things would have ended up if they hadn't tweaked Gargantos in the early rounds. As is, he's annoying, but I think they could still boost his health a bit.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    https://marvelpuzzlequest.fandom.com/wiki/Heroic_Mode
  • Ugh
    Ugh Posts: 82 Match Maker
    character restrictions = not playing  Wish I had known ahead of time so I wouldn't have even bothered logging in
  • Brettrocks
    Brettrocks Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    This event is horrible!!! The exact opposite of fun.  My alliance has a must participate rule and I told them they can kick me out if there’s ever another one like this.  I don’t mind being forced to use ONE character but all three is stupid and boring
  • Ormisdas
    Ormisdas Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    I have to say I don't understand so much complaining, so much laziness behind it...
    I'm almost using only the loaners and this is by far the most entertaining boos event in... years! Usually the boss events are a bit boring, like receiving gifts for nothing, but this is challenging.
    If I want to receive 5* covers it has to be difficult, isn't it?
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX said:
    Post bump it's been great! We've been seeing a lot of engagement from players that don't normally get a look in, and Alliances overall are clearing further than they normally would. So while I certainly wouldn't say this is a total success, there seems to have been much more positive than negative with a lot of the negative things that can be actively worked on to fix in future.

I'm glad that you have your metrics showing the real truth (this fact truly will frustrate more the Team Lazy).
    I'm enjoying the event quite a lot.
    Now another hint: the loaners should have another push, because if on round 6 was perfectly possible (sorry for the people not willing to accept the video if they don't see 30 blue tiles), on round 7 gargantos has scalated on health and the loaners don't have enough firepower anymore.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not sure if it makes sense to create loaners that will allow any players (including 1* player) to finish up till Round 7 and Round 8. I think there should be a line drawn somewhere.
  • NMANOZ1
    NMANOZ1 Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    IceIX said:
    Don't usually post here, but want to provide balance to all the negative comments and say I'm loving this event.
    Our alliance has just made it into Round 8, and I'm sure will complete the rewards.
    It has taken some cajouling, as we had a few toys out of prams with members saying it was too hard and wanting to boycot the event.
    It's possible that players would have come back and tried it after saying "heck no" with the previous settings, but from the data that we were getting, the event needed a bit of a bump to make it more *generally* approachable. Post bump it's been great! We've been seeing a lot of engagement from players that don't normally get a look in, and Alliances overall are clearing further than they normally would. So while I certainly wouldn't say this is a total success, there seems to have been much more positive than negative with a lot of the negative things that can be actively worked on to fix in future.

And that even goes for non-Heroic events, so if you read that thinking that the sky may be falling and it's Heroics all the way down from now on, fret not.
    I work full time Wednesday to Sunday so slowing the event down isn't ideal. Plus I am on the east coast of Australia where the event starts at 4am so slowing me down at the beginning, slows down the rest of my alliance who have weaker rosters. I always hit progression but this making things rough. Plus if my alliance is still going to the last group of side nodes which start at 4am.

Normally not a problem in regular events where you can choose time slots but this is unfair to those of us who aren't in Europe or the Americas.
  • Dok12
    Dok12 Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Agreed with several above posters - I do agree the change was abrupt and really frustrating at first, but I respect the devs for their vision and their willingness to adjust the challenge while sticking to the vision. 

I've never been as invested in boss events as I have in this one. Having to play more cautiously with characters I'm not used to makes the game more exciting and thoughtful than what I've been used to. My alliance is a mix of old and new, and while there was a fair mix of grumbling and despair at the beginning, there's a real sense of teamwork where the newer players still hit as hard as they can with loaners while older players provide support with better leveled characters. We're finishing up r7 and look on track to get all rewards. 
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2022
    This event is awful, like really bad. 

I don’t mind having an event like past Heroic events (even though I prefer free selection), but the characters available for this event have 0 synergy between them, some have even negative synergy between them like Daken and GG. If you are going to give us a limited roster at least put a little bit of thought into them and give us chars we can play together.

Remember this is a game and it is supposed to be FUN, not a hassle.

If this awful events continue I am done. 

PS: Everyone in my Alliance is also hating this event.