Gargantos Boss Event Change (Live) (6/23/22)

Comments

• Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    I feel like you're actively trying to make it worse. You'd want green for venom.

Take some boosts with you. Make a black match and hit him with agent venom.

This isn't the worst thing that could happen with the game.

It's not great but any means, but with a bit of thinking you can clear at least the early levels.

I'm more worried about the side nodes at later rounds.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,570 Chairperson of the Boards
    Agent Venom's red has also proven capable of killing ol' Squiddy so far too.
  • Stan_The_Man
    Stan_The_Man Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    Agent Venom does not have green. And you can't bring both Agent Venom and Eddie Brock Venom. So green is useless, unless you use it for Scorpion, which you don't want to do, seeing as you don't want any SAP tiles to begin with.
    I can't get enough AP to fire any power, even with max boosts; it keeps getting destroyed.
    Downing Gargantos with just 4* match damage takes forever and I'm not willing to spend 6hrs/day on this event.
    This IS the worst thing to happen to the game since PvP was ruined by 5* Godboosts.
    And if the next boss event is the same I will retire. I spend several hours in advance of every boss event to coordinate our alliances so everybody who participates should take home all rewards. The new dev team took a giant dump on all of that with this unannounced insane change.
  • stef_focus
    stef_focus Posts: 105 Tile Toppler
    Omegased said:
    Omegased said:
    My supports suck, RnG has always screwed me on that part of the game, so not much help there.
    And like I said, I never even get to fire a power, so one-shotting him is impossible.
    How do you supports suck? A lot can give you ap even at 3star. Have you been playing long?

Agent venom's black cost 5ap. If you use a boost, that's potentially one match.

I agree this is harder than some events, but maybe try the puzzle aspect a little before you right it off.

Four years. I have zero 5* supports, a handful of 4*s (none of them useful here) a few 3*s and a bunch of 1*s and 2*s. Like I said, RnG always screwed me on supports. And most of the ones that have been in the Puzzle Gauntlet were useless too. Those only ever gave me two 3*s every edition as well by the way. Supposedly there is a chance of a 4* or 5*, but I still haven't seen any proof of that myself.
    And I brought max boosts. 4 black AP at the start of the match. It gets destroyed next turn though, so I still never get to use it.
     You don't need 5 star supports. Maybe look at yours?

Corvus Glaive (rank4) - 61% chance to start with 2 purple AP, 17% chance to damage at the start of turn (which will trigger Venoms yellow)
    Quantum Realm (rank3) - 37% chance to start with 5 purple AP 
    Atlantis (rank3. was last months puzzle quest) - 53% Chance to start with 5 green AP
    Yaro Root (rank3) - 53% chance to start with 5 Green AP
    Chewie - Chip damage as always
    Chimichanga / Shuri's Lab - will generate red, but can only equip to Heros (Yelena/Venom/Sam Daken) No good to me, as Daken is the only real red user, but could be a game changer for someone with him champed.

I have:
    Corvus Glaive - 2*
    Quantum Realm - 3*
    Atlantis - 2* (was definitely not last month's puzzle gauntlet, also why would you want green? You don't want to have any SAP tiles against Gargantos and Scorpion's green hardly does damage)
    Yaro - 1*
    Chewie - 3*, but only makes you die faster by creating a special tile for Gargantos to abuse
    Chimichanga/Shuri's lab - 3*, but useless because my OMD and Yelena are at lvl 255
    So yeah, I actually possess one slightly useful support (QR). Not going to do me much good if the AP it gives me 47% of the time always gets destroyed long before it can be used though.
    Previously you said "After nearly four years of playing I've just succeeded to finally champ all 4*s except for Hulkling" so that means you have a champed Agent Venom and a champed Scorpion.
    You have a 3* quantum realm for Scorpion

Adding 2 black AP and/or 2 purple AP at the start, means you can make a black match, or if you gained the quantum realm purple, also a purple match, and the turn after that one-shot Gargantos. I've been doing that for rounds 1 to 5, easy, fast, no healthpacks.

Gargantos first turn places a tentacle tile, but it wont start draining until his second turn, so your AP is safe until you can blast him. I don't see why this would not work for you?
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,570 Chairperson of the Boards
    He has more 4* champed than I do (Black Knight is 4/4/4 and Puck is I have no idea) and I have been around for 6 years properly playing but 7 years since I first downloaded the game, lol!
  • Stan_The_Man
    Stan_The_Man Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    Omegased said:
    Omegased said:
    My supports suck, RnG has always screwed me on that part of the game, so not much help there.
    And like I said, I never even get to fire a power, so one-shotting him is impossible.
    How do you supports suck? A lot can give you ap even at 3star. Have you been playing long?

I agree this is harder than some events, but maybe try the puzzle aspect a little before you right it off.

Four years. I have zero 5* supports, a handful of 4*s (none of them useful here) a few 3*s and a bunch of 1*s and 2*s. Like I said, RnG always screwed me on supports. And most of the ones that have been in the Puzzle Gauntlet were useless too. Those only ever gave me two 3*s every edition as well by the way. Supposedly there is a chance of a 4* or 5*, but I still haven't seen any proof of that myself.
    And I brought max boosts. 4 black AP at the start of the match. It gets destroyed next turn though, so I still never get to use it.

Corvus Glaive (rank4) - 61% chance to start with 2 purple AP, 17% chance to damage at the start of turn (which will trigger Venoms yellow)
    Atlantis (rank3. was last months puzzle quest) - 53% Chance to start with 5 green AP
    Chimichanga / Shuri's Lab - will generate red, but can only equip to Heros (Yelena/Venom/Sam Daken) No good to me, as Daken is the only real red user, but could be a game changer for someone with him champed.

I have:
    Corvus Glaive - 2*
    Quantum Realm - 3*
    Atlantis - 2* (was definitely not last month's puzzle gauntlet, also why would you want green? You don't want to have any SAP tiles against Gargantos and Scorpion's green hardly does damage)
    Yaro - 1*
    Chewie - 3*, but only makes you die faster by creating a special tile for Gargantos to abuse
    Chimichanga/Shuri's lab - 3*, but useless because my OMD and Yelena are at lvl 255
    So yeah, I actually possess one slightly useful support (QR). Not going to do me much good if the AP it gives me 47% of the time always gets destroyed long before it can be used though.
    Previously you said "After nearly four years of playing I've just succeeded to finally champ all 4*s except for Hulkling" so that means you have a champed Agent Venom and a champed Scorpion.

Adding 2 black AP and/or 2 purple AP at the start, means you can make a black match, or if you gained the quantum realm purple, also a purple match, and the turn after that one-shot Gargantos. I've been doing that for rounds 1 to 5, easy, fast, no healthpacks.

Gargantos first turn places a tentacle tile, but it wont start draining until his second turn, so your AP is safe until you can blast him. I don't see why this would not work for you?

I don't know either. I just know that I've never reached the threshold to fire any power, even when bringing +4 black and purple to start with. Every turn 3 of it disappears.
  • CHRISJN
    CHRISJN Posts: 105 Tile Toppler
    Thanks Devs for the prompt update to this event. Now ,will just wait for Round 7- 8, and see if wolvie-yelena-goblin can still be effective.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Don't get hung up on those 5s if you have decently leveled 4s.
    Agent Venom goes up to almost 80k health at 370.
  • CHRISJN
    CHRISJN Posts: 105 Tile Toppler
    Bowgentle said:
    Don't get hung up on those 5s if you have decently leveled 4s.
    Agent Venom goes up to almost 80k health at 370.
    Yeah you're right, Actually not paying attention to my 4's, Going to try in the next boss reset. 
  • Blackstone
    Blackstone Posts: 595 Critical Contributor
    Omegased said:
    Omegased said:

I have:
    Corvus Glaive - 2*
    Quantum Realm - 3*
    Yaro - 1*

I don't know either. I just know that I've never reached the threshold to fire any power, even when bringing +4 black and purple to start with. Every turn 3 of it disappears.
    You're starting with four black and haven't been able to fire a power that costs 5?

Members off my alliance are having issues because they don't have certain characters. Or don't have them leveled. 

Having a champed agent venom, I can't understand not being able to get his black to fire
    with boosts.  That being said, I understand everyone has a different experience with the game. It's also difficult when you're already frustrated.  
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,013 Chairperson of the Boards
    Unfortunate for some of you with no 5*. You can easily kill Gargantos with match damage alone. 

I’m surprised 3*Daken/3*Bullseye/Venom (Eddie Brock) hasn’t solved the problems. Or scorpion instead of Daken. Gargantos doesn’t have a lot of hp at all.  
  • MrPlow
    MrPlow Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2022
    Not good enough and too late.  Too many people in our alliance have given up and I'm sure it's the same for most alliances that aren't in the top.  So that pretty much eliminates one 5* reward which means more work to get that other 5* reward through progression since you'll be stuck in the lower round meaning less points to go for.  The grind just keeps getting grindier.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    The main problem is Hulkoye can do it in 15-20 seconds. Dark Avengers need "hours" to down them. By the time Dark Avengers are done with the first clear, Hulkoye is already on the 4th to 6th clear. 
  • Zalasta
    Zalasta Posts: 264 Mover and Shaker
    With 5-star cover rewards, I don't mind an increased boss event difficulty.  Frankly, for where my alliance is at (most have a handful of champed 5-stars), the old boss events were extremely easy and the 4-star rewards with two LTs weren't that exciting. Maybe there needs to be two modes for alliance events (legacy mode with 4-star rewards for lower level alliances, and "hard" mode with 5-star rewards for alliances with advanced rosters).

I expect it will take them some time to find the right balance though. If boss events are run more frequently, then they should figure it out fairly quickly. The devs have already demonstrated that they're responsive to player feedback. I'd really like to see alliance events on a more frequent basis, and I welcome the change.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,900 Chairperson of the Boards
    The main problem is Hulkoye can do it in 15-20 seconds. Dark Avengers need "hours" to down them. By the time Dark Avengers are done with the first clear, Hulkoye is already on the 4th to 6th clear. 
    Is not having Hulkoye the main problem? Or not rostering and fostering all the characters you can and NOT putting all the eggs in one basket (namely, the supposed meta basket) the main problem? 
    I think it's not having Hulkoye or Polaris or Shang or whatever other turn 2/3 win team players are using (Note that I do feel for junior rosters (3* players or early 4* players and below) because the loaners were really weak until they beefed them up at bit with this update).

Players are being forced out of their comfort zone (needing to boost AP to avoid his passive damage, needing to find useful supports, working on denying blue) in the same manner they get forced out when playing Puzzle Ops. That gets a ton of complaints too every time it's run.

For all the complaining on the Forums though, it doesn't seem like there are that many fewer players playing. My casual alliance typically ended up in the 500-700 range alliance wise and that's exactly where we are now (mid 600s) and we just entered round 5 which is typically where we'd be in other boss events.

KGB
  • MennoKnight
    MennoKnight Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
    I’m OK with having to think when I play this one. The recent boss events have been a mindless cakewalk. 
    I am an old player with a deep roster, though. 
  • Notepaddy
    Notepaddy Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
    Ice holding back the best "I told you so" ever in the office today :)
  • Spider_Jerusalem
    Spider_Jerusalem Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Dark Avengers Reinforcements Are Here!

I got a 1* Venom and four covers for non-Dark Avengers.
    You guys, this is funny.
  • Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 342 Mover and Shaker
    On one hand I like the increased difficulty of the event (and that's not something I'm usually for heh), but my group is only on round 3 (maybe 4) so I guess my final verdict depends on if I can actually nab that kamala lol.

I don't have much of the 5*, scorpion is my main MVP and now with his depowered blue he won't die every other fight hopefully.  I definitely feel the slog of low match damage though.  I think this event is a cool idea but like someone else had suggested, dark avengers wasn't the best choice of team.