**** Hulkling (Dorrek VIII) ****

Comments

• ThisisClemFandango
    ThisisClemFandango Posts: 640 Critical Contributor
    To quote the great Ryan George "I don't know!" "Unclear" or "because" also works
  • ThisisClemFandango
    IceIX said:
    To quote the great Ryan George "I don't know!" "Unclear" or "because" also works
    "If Hulkling is a Support, how does he support himself?"
    "Look, I'm just going to need you to get all the way off my back about equipping Supports, ok?"
    "Oh, okay, let me get off of that thing!"
    Love that guy!
    Don't suppose you could let us know if hulkling is a feeder could you?
  • ThisisClemFandango
    IceIX said:
    IceIX said:
    "If Hulkling is a Support, how does he support himself?"
    "Look, I'm just going to need you to get all the way off my back about equipping Supports, ok?"
    "Oh, okay, let me get off of that thing!"
    Love that guy!
    He feeds Scarlet Witch (WandaVision).
    Awesome thanks for the info!
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,902 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX said:

Love that guy!
    He feeds Scarlet Witch (WandaVision).
    Anyone know the connection?

KGB
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2022
    Someone in reddit said they are in-laws. Wanda is Hulkling's mother-in-law.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah - Hulkling is married to Wiccan i.e Billy Wanda's "son"
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,310 Site Admin
    Hulkling has gone through some pre-release balance passes since his reveal. The TLDR is:
    Good Communication Skills
    6 AP -> 4 AP
    Adjusted damage for new AP cost (about 50% of previous)
    Smash tile destruction now ends the turn

The King's Decree
    Increased base TU tile damage 10%->20%, max 30->40%

Metamorphic Adaptation / Into the Fray
    No change

Hardened Spikes
    Was using the wrong scalar. Base damage reduced as a result.

Aerial Annoyance
    Increased base burst healing by 50%
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    A power for 4 AP is great. He can spam a lot of cds now.
    I think it's a really good 4* character. That and feeding SW for me is an automatic sharget character. 
  • HoundofShadow
    edited June 2022
    He can't spam. It wil end his turn the moment you fire his green twice, or maybe thrice, depending on how the power processes.

However, it could help Polaris/BRB to multiply protect tiles more quickly at the start of the game.
  • EienRyuu
    EienRyuu Posts: 78 Match Maker
    When I saw him first due to the misplaced PVE, I was like "Wow, this guy have quite the abilities...?!" I mean... he does 3 things per ability, right? I guess this is the theme now - characters that does a lot of things in one ability. xD
    To be fair, it reminds me of Legion and Super Skrull, they also have a lot on their abilities. It will be fun to pair him with them. Sooo many choices.... xDD
  • HoundofShadow
    edited June 2022
    His green power will destroy his Smash tiles when you fire his power thrice (12 green aps). You need to have 4 green basic tiles to maximise his damage.

The logic of his green power seems weird to me but it goes like this:

First fire
    1) Check the number of Smash tiles on the board. The answer is zero.
    2) Deals 9093 damage to target.
    3) Creates 2 Smash tiles.

Second fire
    1) Check the number of Smash tiles on the board. The answer is two.
    2) Deals 9093 damage + (4549x2) damage to target.

Third fire
    1) Check the number of Smash tiles on the board. The answer is four.
    2) Destroy all Smash tiles.
    3) Deals 9093 damage + (4549x4) damage + destroyed tiles damage to target and deals 2272 damage to non-target.
    5) Ends turn.

Initially, I thought it would destroy all Smash tiles upon firing his green the second time. But it didn't. On the third fire, I thought, he would create 2 more Smash tiles, making it 6 on the board, before destroying them. But it destroyed all 4 and on the board and ends the turn.

His purple airborne passive is really good. Purple>Yellow>Red.
  • AlexR
    AlexR Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    First impression:
    He's fun to play! Nowhere near meta, but very fun and flexible. So far, excited to get him covered. 
    Random ability notes;
    His yellow also destroys fortified enemy special tiles! I played Hulkling vs Hulkling and he got rid of opponent!Hulkling's fortified smash tile.
    You can't spam green past 12 AP since it ends the turn, but his purple->red will enhance every single firing of it and gives very good damage. Not quite sure yet how much damage, because opponent!Hulkling doesn't survive long enough, heh. But it's a really strong nuke. (His enhanced matchdamage is not impressive, so I'd only choose purple->red with 12 green ready. Kinda reminds me of Vision where you fire a cheap blue to make the more expensive damage red better. In all other cases, purple->purple or yellow are way better.)
    Wiccan
    Wished Hulkling's yellow was his third color and purple second so he's in less danger of tanking yellow over Wiccan. They have 2/3 overlap in active colors (including overlap in use; both having a high-damage green) which isn't ideal. But if you mainly let Hulkling spam purple->purple, they do work well together which is sweet.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2022
    I obviously tried teaming him with Okoye in PvE. Start with 2 TU.  Turn 1 : Match 3 TU, 4 bonus TU from Baby Hulky and Talon F support. Repeat on  turn 2. So at start of turn 3, Okoye already has 16 TU best case scenario .
  • NemoAbernnigan
    NemoAbernnigan Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    I'm really enjoying Hulkling so far. Green is good board destruction for a BRB Polaris team, but the passive generation of AP in your team's strongest colors from all of his low cost casting is the most impressive aspect for me. I spam his greens out rapidly and generate tons of useful AP. He'll also synergize really well with characters that interact with ally casts, like 3* Kamala's heal.
  • darkman84
    darkman84 Posts: 56 Match Maker
    His green power will destroy his Smash tiles when you fire his power thrice (12 green aps). You need to have 4 green basic tiles to maximise his damage.

The logic of his green power seems weird to me but it goes like this:

First fire
    1) Check the number of Smash tiles on the board. The answer is zero.
    2) Deals 9093 damage to target.

Second fire
    1) Check the number of Smash tiles on the board. The answer is two.
    2) Deals 9093 damage + (4549x2) damage to target.

Third fire
    1) Check the number of Smash tiles on the board. The answer is four.
    2) Destroy all Smash tiles.
    3) Deals 9093 damage + (4549x4) damage + destroyed tiles damage to target and deals 2272 damage to non-target.
    5) Ends turn.

Initially, I thought it would destroy all Smash tiles upon firing his green the second time. But it didn't. On the third fire, I thought, he would create 2 more Smash tiles, making it 6 on the board, before destroying them. But it destroyed all 4 and on the board and ends the turn.

His purple airborne passive is really good. Purple>Yellow>Red.
    Where did you take those damage numbers from?
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,902 Chairperson of the Boards
    Something interesting I saw today in Shield Training when doing the Thing/SL/Mordo node.

I fired his Green for the 3rd time and it smashed the tiles. That's meant to end the turn (and it had previous times I fired it) but this time the board shake cascaded into a match 5. That gave me another turn instead of ending the turn which allowed me to fire it 3 more times.

So the end turn component can be bypassed with a bit of luck.

KGB
  • HoundofShadow
    @darkman84 I got those damage off first 5* essential node in shield training. 

And you actually save up 24 green aps? Valkyrie was your third?

His abilities are really versatile and there aren't any obvious teams for him. His green power may interact well with those that loves some destruction. Also, his yellow can fortify a maximum of 24 friendly special tiles, which is pretty crazy. Overall, a well-rounder.