Marvel Puzzle Quest Developer Q&A - June 2022 (6/10/22)

Options
2»

Comments

• fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,929 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to field and answer questions.  I have a lot I am curious about but I will limit myself to two questions. 

1.) Are 6* characters still taboo or are they something the new dev team is considering in their future plans? 

2.) Any plans to introduce new game events that cater to newer players? 

With over 120 characters in the 4* tier, I was thinking it would be cool if there were one shot events that had players with 1* and 2* (maybe 3*?) that had challenging fights where a new player could earn one 4* cover. Maybe run them once or twice a week. 

For example:

Sabertooth Attacks! 
    Sabertooth ambushes Wolverine! 1-on-1 fight. 
    Required character: 2* Wolverine
    Battle conditions: Match away friendly strike tiles to deal damage to Sabertooth.  Player takes normal damage.

Battle of Wits! 
    Magneto takes on his old friend Charles in a game of chess. 1-on-1 fight against 4* Professor X
    Required character: 2* Magneto
    Battle conditions: Damage can only be dealt either via match 4 (1,500 damage) or match 5 (3,000 damage). Condition applies to both player and opponent. 

And so on. Ideally, the event should be challenging but not impossible and tied to Marvel lore. Just food for thought! Cheers!
  • Theghouse
    Theghouse Posts: 315 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Main question: In regards to PVP - are we close to the end of 5* god boosts?

There are of course many discussion points on this topic but would be interested in hearing dev thoughts on:
    - it continues to feel like a lazy bandaid to avoid addressing new 5* power creep, community requests for updating old characters, and the number of new 5* who are considered dead-on-arrival in the meta
    - PVP MMR is designed to not match 450 rosters against 550 rosters until above the breaking point, but with boosts it routinely matches smaller rosters with no boosted characters against 570+ boosted teams starting from 0
    - it only serves to widen the gap before a player can be competitive in 5* PVP.  Even a player who starts champing every new latest 5* today is way behind because of the number of characters already in the 5* tier.  It's even worse for players who can't keep up with every latest release, or are still not up to the 5* transition yet, as they fall farther and farther behind on the chances at least one of their covered 5* characters will be boosted when they continue getting matched against 570+ teams
    - with new character ability designs being more in-tune with current power levels and the meta, and sweeping updates coming to older characters, this bandaid might not be needed anymore? If the goal of updating older characters is to create balance between character power levels, boosting only a small handful of 5* each week to god levels artificially recreates a large imbalance.  There is no logical reason to do both.
  • Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    Options
    All newer characters who have a power dependent upon board conditions or character stats have their power texts automatically updated during the fight (e.g. strongest team color, who Valkyrie is targeting,  most prevalent color tile, etc.). Are you going to update older characters so that their powers autoupdate as well? 
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2022
    Options
    With a hundred and something four stars on my roster gathering dust, would you consider making pvp a maximum of one 5*. This would open up so many more combinations and not make the game so reliant on god boosted characters. 

Is it possible for example to make say CL1-7 three star pvp and 8-10 four star pvp? At healthy 5* level the games might as well be 2v2 when I'm forced to play 3* pvp. 

With reworks do you have any plans to make Classics more obtainable? For example I wasn't in a position to go for 5* IM and Cap FA when they were released and despite not having half of the 5* champed, it's taken me until this week to get Cap and IM champed. Waiting for them to be featured and getting half a cover of shards takes years.
  • NemoAbernnigan
    NemoAbernnigan Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm still waiting on 3* Mack with his Shotgun-axe 
    I also would like a 4* Dr's. FitzSimmons
    I made a rough character speculation for FitzSimmons after I rewatched Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. I really would love to see more AoS characters. With May's addition we can finally run a full AoS team, but Quake doesn't have the best synergy with Coulson or May, and Coulson only synergizes with May if you use her stun a bunch and even then it's only a little bit.

As for my questions:

1.) Any chance we'll be seeing any new game types in PvE? Puzzle Guantlet was a great addition and I'd love to see more like that. I've been pitching a 5 character team event for years. I'd love to see how crazy the team synergies could get with 5 characters on your team.

2.) I saw a recommendation from a fellow player a while ago for a shard bank, so players could reallocate the shards they have no use for towards the characters they were  currently working on. I thought it was a great idea but unlikely to ever be implemented. What are the odds that I was wrong?
  • LakeStone
    LakeStone Posts: 1,377 Community Moderator
    Options
    Awesome questions everyone! We will review these and get back by June 20th. Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.