Release Notes 5.7.0

Magic:PQ Support Team
Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,257 Chairperson of the Boards
edited June 2022 in MtGPQ General Discussion

What’s New

NEW Collection available: Streets of New Capenna!
Get your hands on over 240 new cards, 4 new Planeswalkers, 1 new event and more!

New Content 

• New Mechanics 

Shield Counter

“When an opposing source would make this card take damage, be destroyed or lose shield, prevent that damage, destruction or shield loss. Then, reduce this card’s Shield Counter value by 1. If it can't, it loses Shield Counter. When this card gains Shield Counter, the value is added to its current value.”

Shield Counter is a numerical evergreen that can be added to creatures and supports. It prevents damage and shield loss of the card with Shield Counter in exchange of reducing the Shield Counter evergreen’s value.

Shield Counter

Alliance

“When another creature comes into play under your control or this creature is Reinforced, Perform the following effect(s).”

Alliance is an icon evergreen that represents a trigger in Magic: Puzzle Quest. Each card has its own effects to be triggered with alliance.

Alliance

Blitz

“When you cast this creature, you may have it lose Blitz. If you don't, this creature gains Haste and Imminent Death. When this creature dies or loses a reinforcement, if it has Blitz, draw a card.  That card gains mana equal to this card's Blitz value”

In Magic: Puzzle Quest, Blitz comes as an evergreen icon that allows players to decide to remove from a card on casting. If they don’t, the card will lose reinforcements until it becomes destroyed. When it does, players draw a card and gain some mana back for that.

Blitz

Casualty

“When you cast this card, you may destroy target creature you control with power equal to or greater than this card’s Casualty value. If you do, Create a copy of this card into your hand. Then, It gains full mana and loses Casualty.”

Casualty is a mechanic with an icon evergreen that allows players to sacrifice a creature in order to create a copy of the card with casualty with full mana on their hand while casting.

Casualty

Connive

“When this card Connives, discard the last card from your hand and draw a card. Then, if the last card in your graveyard is not a support card, this creature gets +1/+1.”

Connive is a creature ability with an icon evergreen that allows players to discard a card and draw a card when activated. Then, if the discarded card is not a support card, the creature that connived gets buffed.

Connive

Hideaway

“When this card enters play, Pick one of the  first 4 cards from the top of your Library. Exile that card. Then, that card gains Hidden.”

Hideaway hint

Hideaway

“This card is returned to your hand with full mana once a card with Hideaway‘s conditions are matched.”

Hidden hint

Hidden

In Magic Puzzle Quest, Hideaway allows players to pick a card to be exiled and marked to cast later with an evergreen called Hidden. When a card with Hideaway’s condition gets fulfilled, the card with Hidden goes to the player’s hand with full mana.

Planeswalkers

Elspeth, Resplendent

Elspeth meets her home plane in order to get hints of how the plane managed to defeat a phyrexian invasion in the past. Wielding a halo infused weapon, she is ready to fight at the conflicts that show up in the present while trying to dig up the past.

Passive Ability
Resplendent Blessings
When a card you control gets buffed or gains an evergreen: A random support you control gains 1 shield. This effect can trigger only once per turn.

Tokens
Protection Provenance
(White) Support Card (2) Token
“When this support's gem is matched: Another random card you control gains Shield Counter.If this support has the Heroism Emblem — Instead: That card gains Shield Counter."

Vivien on the Hunt

Always trying to preserve nature around the planes she visits, Vivien Reid finds at New Capenna a new adventure field. She gets infiltrated into the families’ business in order to find information about Elspeth, who might be needing some help.

Passive Ability
Predator’s Trail
When a creature you control dies: The first creature card in your hand without mana gains X mana. X is the base power of the destroyed creature. This effect can trigger only once per turn. 

Tokens
Powered Selection 
(Green) Support Card (3) Token
“When a creature you control dies or loses a reinforcement during your turn: Perform one of these effects at random: 
All creatures in your hand get +2/+2. 
All creatures in your hand gain Reach.
All creatures in your hand gain Deathtouch. 
When this support's gem is matched: If this support has the Competition Emblem: Your first creature Fights the first opposing creature."

Ob Nixilis, the Adversary

In pursuit of power, Ob Nixilis gets in contact with the demons that have control over New Capenna. With an intent of getting control of the plane, he attempts to attack all families, but Elspeth and Vivien get in his way

Passive Ability
Casual Call 
When you activate a Loyalty ability: You may pay 6 Loyalty. If you do: Duplicate that ability’s effect. You cannot choose new targets for that duplicated ability

Tokens
Red Devil
(Red) Creature Card - Devil (1/1) Token
When this creature dies, the opponent’s first creature takes damage equal to this creature’s Power

Dakkon, Shadow Slayer

The original forger of the Blackblade, Dakkon became a planeswalker, as promised by Geyadrone Dihada, after completing the creation of that powerful weapon. But his creation was used to split apart his soul from body, leaving him to planeswalk bound by the Blackblade.

Tokens
Forging the Blackblade 
(White, Blue, Black) Support Card (4) Token
“At the beginning of the combat on your turn: Your first creature gets +1/+1 for each White, Blue and Black gem on the board until the end of turn. Then: If this support has the Darkness Emblem - Opposing creatures get -X/-X until end of turn. X is the greatest number among White, Blue or Black gems on the board."

Event

Event Type: PvP, Coalition

No Entrance Fee

Deck Restrictions: Standard

Rewards: Progression, Rank 

Number of nodes: 2 nodes, each node features a different event support that will affect the player, while the other will affect their opponents.

Each node allows a specific variety of Planeswalker colors, being for Obscura Infiltrators White, Blue and Black, while Cabaretti Greetings allows White, Green and Red Planeswalkers

Initial Charges: 1 | Max Charges: 4

Recharge Time: 8h

Event Duration: 46h

Changes

• Update Standard Booster Reward in Events

The Standard Booster reward in the Nodes of Power and Battle from the Ages events now includes cards from Streets of New Capenna (SNC). The Booster contains duplicable cards.

• Update Exclusive Card Booster

New Exclusive Cards have been added to the Exclusive Card Booster in the Battle from the Ages event

Fixes

• Fixed issue where "Error 500" message appeared when changing a coalition name to a name that already exists.

Comments

• OmniTron
    OmniTron Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    May we assume that the delay of this set was purely caused by play-testing the new cards, planeswalkers and events, so that the set will be introduced without obvious or new bugs? 
    Would be great if a new set dropped without new bugs and the update that's launched at the same time takes care of (some!) old bugs. That way maybe in a few years we'll have a bug-free game!?
  • gozmaster
    gozmaster Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    OMG seriously!!! thank you thank you thank you! for the 3 color B/W/U walker!!!!
  • Asylamb
    Asylamb Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    Are the numbers final? Some mana bonuses and loyalty costs seem d20'd...

Also, do I understand it correctly, that Ob Nixilis's ultimate works as follows:
    Option 1 - You target yourself and fill you hand for 19 Loyalty (25, if you forget you can't do it twice);
    Option 2 - You target your opponent, fill their hand and deal from 9 to 15 damage, for 19 Loyalty;
    Option 3 - You target your opponent, fill their hand and deal from 24 to 30 damage, for 25 Loyalty?
  • Asylamb
    Asylamb Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    Also, a question about the Protection Provenance support token.
    “When this support's gem is matched: Another random card you control gains Shield Counter.If this support has the Heroism Emblem — Instead: That card gains Shield Counter."

Do I read it incorrectly? What card is meant by "that card"? Still a random card but you forgot to update the effect and it gains some extra Shield Counters? A target card under your control (incl. supports)? "This" card, meaning the support itself (I doubt that, because that would make no sense)? Something else?

• khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,077 Chairperson of the Boards
    The rare lands appear to have cycling evergreen but no cycling costs
  • khurram
    Also, is this set not gonna have any vanguards since they are not included in the gallery? Or is there a chance they'll be included later on?
  • khurram
    Finally went through all of the previews. There are a number of cool cards. Mechanics also seem pretty decent. Dakkon seems very cool.

All in all a good set, and definitely a lot better than NEO.
  • khurram
    Also, big thumbs up for adding new cards to BftA exclusive card booster. 
  • versemage
    versemage Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Is there a link for the card gallery, I didn't see one?
  • gozmaster
    gozmaster Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    versemage said:
    Is there a link for the card gallery, I didn't see one?
    here you go: 

https://m.facebook.com/groups/179444109153763/permalink/1476235692807925/
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thrilled to see Dakkon's design and looking forward to playing him. 

Overall seems to be a fun and intriguing set--though "Cut Your Losses" may be the biggest affront to the color wheel since Startled Awake.
  • spellsmasher
    spellsmasher Posts: 55 Match Maker
    Dakkon will be interesting to see. It is kind of odd he has nothing tied to lands though. Since the original had loyalty counters equal to the lands you control. The original creature power/toughness was a */* with the number of lands you control. Though he does look like he will play well in the current META. Kind of look forward to using him with a healer of the pride deck. Ramp up to that third real quick. I like the built in surveil, the second seems a bit high of cost, but the third looks like all sorts of fun. 
  • BongoTheGrey
    BongoTheGrey Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    khurram said:
    Also, is this set not gonna have any vanguards since they are not included in the gallery? Or is there a chance they'll be included later on?
    They usually never add the vanguards on the Facebook Gallery. Kamigawa was an exception. We all found out about rare Teferi until the day the set was released. You can check Innistrad's card gallery or the preview videos made by the guys that make those videos and you won't find any rare Teferi hype since we didn't knew.

Sometimes they even release the vanguards days after the update when you are not expecting them
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,607 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2022
    Is “cut your losses” correct?
    With this card blue gets the ability to convert large amounts of gems (typically reserved for green) but wait there is more! 
    You are also combining it with moving cards from your opponents library to the discard pile, so you are further enhancing a blue mechanism “Mill” (which does need strengthening, but a two for one!?! 
    No wait there is even more because the card only costs 9 mana to cast, so it is fairly cheap to use. And the card isn’t even dual so green can’t use it?!? (Which is the case with all other gem converting spell except the black spell with threshold).

why do you continue to improve blue with mechanisms reserved for other colours. Why do we even have other colours than blue?
  • BongoTheGrey
    Is the same with treasure/gold tokens. Some people think that they shouldn't be green since green has ramp in the form of gem conversion and yet we have Old Gnawbone and now Bootlegger's Stash.
  • Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,257 Chairperson of the Boards
    khurram said:
    Hello @khurram,
    I don't have much information about the Vanguards yet, but the team told me that there is a possibility that they will include them later. Any updates I have regarding this I will let you know.

Rebeca.
  • Tremayne
    BongoTheGrey said:
    Is the same with treasure/gold tokens. Some people think that they shouldn't be green since green has ramp in the form of gem conversion and yet we have Old Gnawbone and now Bootlegger's Stash.
    I assume that was directed at me. And you are right there are some cross over of mechanisms occasionally. However, blue does not need anymore help the colour is already ridiculously overpowered as is. 

I actually thought the OG made sense in order for green to get a boost which green definitely needs.
  • BongoTheGrey
    Tremayne said:

I assume that was directed at me. And you are right there are some cross over of mechanisms occasionally. However, blue does not need anymore help the colour is already ridiculously overpowered as is. 

I actually thought the OG made sense in order for green to get a boost which green definitely needs.
    It was, sorry I didn't quote you because it was the comment immediately after yours.

The green boost didn't made sense to me, IMO green didn't need any more help. Just like blue doesn't needs it right now. I think that both are unnecessary boosts
  • Tremayne
    edited June 2022
    @BongoTheGrey - so you agree that blue is overpowered. Didn’t get that from your post. But nice to know.
  • BongoTheGrey
    But if all colors are "overpowered" then none are really overpowered. I think that the best color as mono color is by far white because of PMA Ajani and all the great cards at his disposal. Blue and green are good but not as good as white. I do agree that blue is getting lots of love in New Capenna and I'm actually happy to see that