Streets of New Capenna

DrRuphus
DrRuphus Posts: 61 Match Maker
Oh boy they started releasing the news!
3 colours family (with 2 having black and red in them so I will obviously pick those)
Lands with cycle return

And of course I will autonarrate pulp noir style all my matches!

And that's it, I just wanted to share my enthusiasm. Now all I ask for at WotC is a western setting

Comments

• spellsmasher
    spellsmasher Posts: 55 Match Maker
    I am there with you, hopefully we will get some good 3 color walkers out of that set.
  • DrRuphus
    Yeah, even though 3 coloured pw are a little too spread thin (both here and paperwise) for my liking. I can guess we will see Elspeth in the colours of the brokers (white green and blue) and nixillis for one of the red/black families. Heck, calix could be back too but his role is a bit trickier to guess (rival family? Independent, hard boiled detective agent?)
    And who knows what the new phyrexia plot would bring to the table...
  • Tezzeret
    Tezzeret Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
    I just want a Tommy gun equipment
  • Asylamb
    Asylamb Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    edited March 2022
    Some thoughts I have on the Streets of New Capenna.

If there is a tri-color PW (which is highly likely), I would expect it to be from the Cabaretti faction (Naya), because that's the only color combo from Shards of Alara/Crime families of Capenna that has never had a PW.

That would also be a perfect opportunity for Oktagon to use PWs from MH2. Geyadrone Dihada is a demonic PW in the Maestros (Grixis) colors that makes a lot of sense of making a guest appearance. And Dakkon, Shadow Slayer also fits the color scheme, sharing the colors with the Obscura (Esper) and plot points with Dihada.

Ob Nixilis is pretty much confirmed to have a PW card. He's normally mono-Black, but might pick up another color (probably Red).

Elspeth is said to have connection to the plane, but she might just appear in arts and not get a PW spot.

That only leaves Blue PW spot empty. Would probably be a new mono-Blue PW.

TL;DR
    As far as Planeswalkers are concerned, I would expect to see:
    1. A new tricolor PW in Red-Green-White
    2. Ob Nixilis in Black-Red
    3. A new monoblue PW
    4. Possibly another monowhite Elspeth
  • DrRuphus
    Mono white Elspeth is quite probable, I am less certain about monoblue since blue is heavily present in kamigawa
  • Barnabes
    Barnabes Posts: 72 Match Maker
    WotC are not keen on 3-color PW in standard. It would need to either be a unique fit to the character (like with Nocol Bolas) or them forcing a tertiary color to balance the color distribution (like with Tamiyo, Fiekd Researcher). 

Not impossible, just unlikely. 
    It’s also possible they will throw some 3-C Planeswalkers as Commanders for the upcoming precons. 
  • TomB
    TomB Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Barnabes said:
    WotC are not keen on 3-color PW in standard. It would need to either be a unique fit to the character (like with Nocol Bolas) or them forcing a tertiary color to balance the color distribution (like with Tamiyo, Fiekd Researcher). 

Not impossible, just unlikely. 
    It’s also possible they will throw some 3-C Planeswalkers as Commanders for the upcoming precons. 

Personally, I'm more interested in 3-color cards than PW's. My Karn pines for Ikoria... :'(
  • Asylamb
    Asylamb Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    edited March 2022
    Some extra info about Ob Nixilis. Here is an fragment from an article about Ikoria, about how Narset came to be the second "wedge" PW (the text in [] are my additions).
    Narset was the last planeswalker to officially make it into the [IKO] set. <...> Because the set had a small wedge theme and there are so few planeswalkers with wedge colors ("few" being one - Sarkhan Unbroken is green, blue, and red [Temur]), we decided we wanted a wedge planeswalker. <...> The trick was finding a character who existed in two colors already but also made sense in a third color.
    For example, take red-white-black [Mardu]. <...> Who are the black-red planeswalkers? Angrath, Daretti, and Sarkhan have all had black-red planeswalker cards. There are also arguments that Ob Nixilis and Tibalt are fundamentally black-red characters. Do any of them make sense adding in white? Maybe Angrath, and that's a big maybe.

Also, here you can find some pictures of Ob Nixilis in New Capenna (2nd and 3rd last pictures). I would have uploaded them here, but the site shows the downloaded pictures as empty icons.

Tbh, I hasn't recognized him. For some reason I thought his was much more slender, had a much deeper red skin color and a much shorter tail.

• khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,077 Chairperson of the Boards
    Asylamb said:
    Some extra info about Ob Nixilis. Here is an fragment from an article about Ikoria, about how Narset came to be the second "wedge" PW (the text in [] are my additions).
    Narset was the last planeswalker to officially make it into the [IKO] set. <...> Because the set had a small wedge theme and there are so few planeswalkers with wedge colors ("few" being one - Sarkhan Unbroken is green, blue, and red [Temur]), we decided we wanted a wedge planeswalker. <...> The trick was finding a character who existed in two colors already but also made sense in a third color.
    For example, take red-white-black [Mardu]. <...> Who are the black-red planeswalkers? Angrath, Daretti, and Sarkhan have all had black-red planeswalker cards. There are also arguments that Ob Nixilis and Tibalt are fundamentally black-red characters. Do any of them make sense adding in white? Maybe Angrath, and that's a big maybe.

Also, here you can find some pictures of Ob Nixilis in New Capenna (2nd and 3rd last pictures). I would have uploaded them here, but the site shows the downloaded pictures as empty icons.

Tbh, I hasn't recognized him. For some reason I thought his was much more slender, had a much deeper red skin color and a much shorter tail.

A good portion of the suit he is wearing is gold in color... Don't know if that means anything 
  • DrRuphus
    I guess that the golden colour is to tie in with the whole "roaring twenties" aesthetic. Like the first bioshock
  • QuiksilverHg
    QuiksilverHg Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Would love a GBU PW in mtgpq
  • DrRuphus
    And on the Magic official website the lore stories are starting... Bringing already a very interesting roster of characters
  • DrRuphus
    Would love a GBU PW in mtgpq
    I think that the focus this time would be on glorious red but we are just at the first story so thake this info with a spoonful of salt
  • versemage
    versemage Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Shouldn't be about time for a preview of this set; don't they usually start dropping info about 3-4 weeks after it releases on paper? And that was April 29th.
  • ambrosio191
    ambrosio191 Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    versemage said:
    Shouldn't be about time for a preview of this set; don't they usually start dropping info about 3-4 weeks after it releases on paper? And that was April 29th.

You are better off looking at when the last update for this game was rather than the release cycle of paper. Updates to this game are about every 6 weeks, and the last one was about 2 weeks ago.  I would expect to see info for the next release in 2-4 weeks, and that will likely have the new set.  Of course, something could delay it to the following update.
  • Janosik
    Janosik Posts: 314 Mover and Shaker
    I'd like to see some good Channel cards; it's a good mechanic but the NEO cards with it are unimpressive.

Ninjutsu is another mechanic which currently has only low power cards, but it's a bad mechanic and I would not like to see it again.