archon of emeria not disabling cards in hand [Investigating]

Options
stikxs
stikxs Posts: 518 Critical Contributor
In this instance I had an Archon on the battlefield and a Dack Fayden and Chandra, Flamecaller in my hand with mana. After my match/cascade finished Dack was cast, and then Chandra should have been disabled, however it was not and also was cast.

In the game before I had something similar, Archon was on the board, I cast Chandra and then it was followed by The Kami War. I got an extra swap as well and on my second gem match I had the Teferi, Hero of Dominara vanguard fill its mana but was correctly disabled by the Archon. Seems like maybe the 'disable cards' part isn't happening until the end of the gem match/card casting phase instead of right at the moment of card casting.

Comments

• stikxs
    Options
    So I just had another match where I had the Archon in play, in my hand I had a Sorin, Vengeful Bloodlord, another Archon, and a Golos, Tireless Pilgrim all 3 full of mana. The game let me cast the Sorin followed by the Archon, but then the Golos was disabled. So now it looks like maybe it either: skips the next card and then starts disabling, or starts disabling at card #2 but everything in the hand has moved up already so the "next card" is in slot #1 and doesn't get disabled, or the disable effect has a missing "When this card enters the battlefield" clause.
  • Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Hello @stikxs,

Thank you for all the information provided, this issue will be investigated!
    If you have any additional information that you consider relevant, please don't hesitate to send me 😊

Rebeca.

• stikxs
    Options
    After playing a few more games the Archon sometimes works. It looks like the "cast a card" check does not happen when vanguards are cast. My last post showed a vanguard followed by a creature before the effect worked, and I just had a turn where I cast Teferi vanguard, Sorin vanguard, then Golos before the effect worked. The log does note the Archon being triggered when the vanguards were cast but cards in hand were not disabled until Golos was cast.