**** Gertrude Yorkes (Runaways) ****

IceIX
IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin
edited May 2022 in Character Details

Gertrude Yorkes (Runaways)
4-Star Rarity 
Affiliations: Heroes, Runaways

"After witnessing her parents participate in a dark magic ritual with a group called The Pride, Gertrude Yorkes ran away from home. In order to stop The Pride's evil plans, she teamed up with the rest of The Pride's children and a genetically modified Deinonychus she named Old Lace to become the Runaways.

(Abilities listed at level 70, followed by 270)
3779 Health / 13995 Health

42 | 33 | 9 | 37 | 10 | 8 | 23 | 4.0x
 85 | 65 | 12 | 74 | 13 | 11 | 43 | 4.0x

Prehistoric Pairing -  PASSIVE
(PASSIVE) Gertrude Yorkes uses her telepathic link to Old Lace to help her team. If Gertrude Yorkes or an ally would take at least 15% of their current health in damage, create a 1-turn Countdown tile that deals 241 damage. Then improve a friendly Strike, Protect, or Attack tile by 19 for every Runaway on the team. (Max damage 469, max improve 36)
  • Level 2: Improves a tile by 35. (Max improve 67)
  • Level 3: If Gertrude or an ally takes 12% of their health in damage, create a Countdown tile that deals 427 damage. (Max damage 830)
  • Level 4: If Gertrude or an ally takes 10% of their health in damage, create a Countdown tile that deals 658 damage. Improves a tile by 47 (Max damage 1280, max improve 88)
  • Level 5: Countdown tile deals 1186 damage. Improves a tile by 67. (Max damage 2307, max improve 126)
Clever Claws - 7  AP
Old Lace hides in the shadows, stalking her prey and striking at the right moment. Choose 3 basic tiles to become Trap tiles. If matched or destroyed by the enemy, they deal 537 damage, plus 134 damage if there's another Runaway on the team. (Max damage 1046/262)
  • Level 2: Deals 752 damage, plus 188 damage if there's another Runaway on the team. (Max damage 1464/367)
  • Level 3: Place 4 Trap tiles.
  • Level 4: Deals 1047 damage, plus 261 damage if there's another Runaway on the team. (Max damage 2040/511)
  • Level 5: Place 5 Trap tiles that deal 1353 damage, plus 338 damage if there's another Runaway on the team. (Max damage 2636/660)
Dino Strike! - 8  AP
"Old Lace, attack!" Deal 463 damage, plus 93 damage for each Strike, Protect, or Attack tile combined that you have more of than the enemy (max 5). Then, create 1 strength 28 Red Strike tile. (Max damage 902/180, strength 54 tile)
  • Level 2: Deal 648 damage, plus 130 damage for each extra Strike, Protect, or Attack tile. Creates a Strike tile of strength 37. (Max damage 1263/252, strength 72 tile)
  • Level 3: Creates 2 Strike tiles of strength 43. (Max strength 83 tile)
  • Level 4: Deal 1056 damage, plus 212 damage for each extra Strike, Protect, or Attack tile.  (Max damage 2057/410)
  • Level 5: Deal 1389 damage, plus 349 damage for each extra Strike, Protect, or Attack tile. Creates 3 Strike tiles of strength 68. (Max damage 2706/675, strength 131 tile)

Release Events:

Story

Cosmic Chaos - 3/24 - 3/29

• Rewards tokens to the Cosmic Chaos Cover Pack

• Gertrude Yorkes (Runaways) in Placement rewards

The Simulator - 3/28 - 4/1

• Gertrude Yorkes (Runaways) in Progression rewards

Welcome to S.H.I.E.L.D. - 3/27 - 4/1

• Gertrude Yorkes (Runaways) shards in Progression rewards

• Rewards tokens to the Gertrude & Friends vault

Versus

Big Bangs Theory - 3/24 - 3/28

• Gertrude Yorkes (Runaways) in Placement rewards

Saur-y Not Sorry - 3/27 - 3/30

• Gertrude Yorkes (Runaways) in Progression rewards

• Rewards tokens to the Gertrude & Friends vault

Offers

Gertrude & Friends - 3/24 - 4/1

• 80 Item Vault

• 3x 4-Stars

• 1x Gertrude Yorkes cover

• 1x Nico Minoru cover

• 1x Random 4-Star cover

• 7x Tokens

• 1x Legendary token

• 1x Mighty Token

• 2x Heroic Tokens

• 3x Beginner Support tokens

• 6x Iso-8

• 1x 5,000 Iso-8

• 2x 2,500 Iso-8

• 3x 1,000 Iso-8

• 15x 3-Stars

• 3x Storm (Mohawk) cover

• 12x Random 3-Star covers

• 49x 2-Stars

• 10x Daken (Dark Avengers) cover

• 39x Random 2-Star covers

Comments

• Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    @IceIX
    That was a great clue for Gertie.  I didn't get it at the time, but second I saw this I did a little imaginary golf clap 🤣.  Bravo.
  • Hellblazer666
    Hellblazer666 Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Insert the Korag Gif WHO? from Guardians of The Galaxy. This seems like another bottom of the barrel character like Big Wheel
  • justsing
    justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2022

Woohoo!
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin
    @IceIX
    That was a great clue for Gertie.  I didn't get it at the time, but second I saw this I did a little imaginary golf clap 🤣.  Bravo.
    It was a bit Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, but one other person in the office got the links after some thought so I went with it. :smiley:
  • Venomous
    Venomous Posts: 222 Tile Toppler
    Absolute win!!! So so happy to see another Runaway added. And now it’s possible to make a full team and truthfully the team seems rather strong. Nico buffs and Karolina generates. Then you have Gertrude now who both helps tank and does tons of damage compared to the other two. 
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, since this forum is full of opinions, I guess I’ll add my own…..
    - I Never heard of her
    - I’m not fond of her character design, reminds me of Velma from Scooby Doo
    - She has similar powers to the other runaways in MPQ (Karolina & Nico), which is mostly defensive / reactive with tile buffing, but she can deal more dmg
    - Her passive is very similar to XFDP, but not as good.  
    - The devs finally got trap tiles right! You can actually place these traps where you want them (maybe she is Velma from Scooby Doo). Like most traps, they do major dmg, but this time you can place them on a row with a match-4, which the AI is programmed to match first.  But…..you don’t always have that setup.
    - Her red is nothing special, but on a team with Grocket & Nico, it’s the only red outlet.  

I can’t say that I like her, but I guess she fits in with the other Runaways.  I’ll probably forget her soon after her introductory events.  
  • SaltnPeppa
    SaltnPeppa Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    Insert the Korag Gif WHO? from Guardians of The Galaxy. This seems like another bottom of the barrel character like Big Wheel

Runaways are very popular, if you read the comics other than X-Men or only watch the movies.   Google is your friend too
  • SaltnPeppa
    edited March 2022
    Thanks for putting her in!  Only missing Chase Stein, Alex Wilder and Molly Hayes and the original members will be complete!
  • Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 342 Mover and Shaker
    Agree the design is a bit frumpy, but also not familiar with runaways.  Powers look okay.  Shouldn't this be Old Lace instead of Gertrude?  Seems like it's doing all the work lol.
  • SaltnPeppa
    edited March 2022
    Agree the design is a bit frumpy, but also not familiar with runaways.  Powers look okay.  Shouldn't this be Old Lace instead of Gertrude?  Seems like it's doing all the work lol.

In the newer issues, they are hinting at Gertrude's telepathic strength but have not expanded on it.... yet.

But I'm calling it now way before they decide to do it, she will eventually become a Phoenix host with Old Lace!  
  • SaltnPeppa
    edited March 2022
    bbigler said:
    Well, since this forum is full of opinions, I guess I’ll add my own…..
    - I Never heard of her
    - I’m not fond of her character design, reminds me of Velma from Scooby Doo
    - She has similar powers to the other runaways in MPQ (Karolina & Nico), which is mostly defensive / reactive with tile buffing, but she can deal more dmg
    - Her passive is very similar to XFDP, but not as good.  
    - The devs finally got trap tiles right! You can actually place these traps where you want them (maybe she is Velma from Scooby Doo). Like most traps, they do major dmg, but this time you can place them on a row with a match-4, which the AI is programmed to match first.  But…..you don’t always have that setup.
    - Her red is nothing special, but on a team with Grocket & Nico, it’s the only red outlet.  

I can’t say that I like her, but I guess she fits in with the other Runaways.  I’ll probably forget her soon after her introductory events.  

I think the devs are staying true to the comics.   They are a reactive bunch of kids because they are being hunted.   I would expect all the powers of the rest of the Runaways when they add them to be similar.
  • AnkhWarrior
    AnkhWarrior Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    edited March 2022
    Surprised not many people have heard of the Runaways! They're a pretty big name in the comics, having a pretty significant ongoing series in the 00's and been reprised by other writers and artists since then. They even had a TV show on Hulu. Old Lace is the unofficial mascot of the series too, so its wonderful to see them here!

For those who don't know, we already have two Runaways. Karolina Dean and Nico Minoru. Now we can form a full Runaways team! 

Also addressing something else said. Yeah Gert has no real powers of her own, but she possess a telepathic and empathetic bond with the dinosaur, Old Lace. Chase is my favorite of the Runaways, so I hope he's next! 

Finally...The chances of it are slim, but Ultron is a villain in one of the arcs of the original comic series. One of the members of the Runaways is Ultron's son. So...She could plausibly be a feeder for him. But same deal, chances are slim.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    It seems a funny character for 4* tier. 
    A special tiles buffer is something always interesting. Having to lose 10% of health for to improve and after a 1 turn cd it's not so interesting at all. That would be a miss(except if playing with danvers).
    Selecting the place for traps is a big hit. And finally "traps" never could be called "traps" more rightfully.
    Never heard of them but I think they are a funny addition to the game. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2022
    Though Gert does not possess any physical super powers of her own, she is an incredibly smart and clever young woman. Her main ability, though, is her psychic connection with Old Lace, a dinosaur her parents genetically engineer in the 87th century to protect their daughter.

Old Lace doesn't seem to be big. Their heights are about the same, unless it's due to some space constraint issue.

If Gertrude Yorkes or an ally would take at least 15% of their current health in damage, create a 1-turn Countdown tile that deals 241 damage. 

This power will be interesting to look out for, due to how its worded similarly to Odin's passive jump-in. His passive jump in trigger point is calculated before any damage modifier based on power is applied. That is to say, even if you pair Colossus with Odin, put Odin in the last position, and enemy Colossus matches a yellow match-3, Odin will still jump in or create fortified tiles. This also means that if enemy Apocalypse's power damage repeater modifier is out, enemy Wanda has one charge on her repeater and your Colossus is full health at 80k damage, Gert's passive won't trigger even though enemy Wanda will deal more than 10% of Colossus' health.

She could be fun with Deadpool/C4rol against Polaris/Rocket of any other aggressive team.

• SaltnPeppa
    At least the design for her here looks like a teenager.  The one in the comics make her look middle aged

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2022
    Can't think of the last time a character had a "if ally takes X damage then. . ." Power but didn't also get some damage resistance or true healing. This leaves her a bit like killmomger: what they do isn't bad relative to their peers, but it's almost never worth the risk/effort of getting their passive powers to proc.

Purple does seem like it might be the best implementation of trap tiles yet. You can actually use them to set traps for the opponent!

Red damage seems a bit low, but my maybe my perspective of 4* land is warped by the gravity of a 5* roster.

Still think the marginal return on dev and player investment in new 4* characters is vanishingly low.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX said:
    @IceIX
    It was a bit Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, but one other person in the office got the links after some thought so I went with it. :smiley:
    In case ppl are still confused, the clue was for arsenic.  There's an old stage play and movie called "Arsenic and Old Lace" 
  • liminal_lad
    liminal_lad Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker
    One of them should have had a black power so they'd be a rainbow team. I hope Victor Mancha is next!
  • Scorpion201
    Scorpion201 Posts: 57 Match Maker
    Not impress, streak of good 4s comes to an end, worst 4 of the year so far. even the recent 4s are better than her. there ladies still better ladies waiting in the wings to make their debut in mpq. they had pick this one. low health bad.
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,379 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not liking this kit all that much.
    The passive is okayish.
    Purple is pretty great since you can place the trap tiles. Throw 4 onto a match 4 and watch the ai blow up.
    The red is whatever, nothing special.
    But hey at least they haven't forgotten about the runaways, so there's that.