Magic:PQ Support Team
Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,259 Chairperson of the Boards
edited March 2022 in MtGPQ General Discussion

What’s New

Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty

New Content 

• New Mechanics 

Ninjutsu

“When a creature you control with base power 3 or less deals combat damage to your opponent’s Planeswalker, if this is the first card with Ninjutsu in your hand, increase this card’s Ninjutsu value by 1. At the beginning of the combat during your turn, if this creature’s Ninjutsu value is equal or greater than the required value, replace the target creature you control by this. Then, this creature gains haste until end of turn. Return the replaced creature to your hand.”

Ninjutsu is an ability related to creatures with the Ninja Subtype. It is an alternative way to put Ninjas into the battlefield and may trigger powerful effects while allowing the players to use their mana for other cards. Attacking with low power creatures will increase the Ninjutsu Value of Ninjas in the player's hand until the required value. To better avoid excessive decision making in Magic:PQ, cards in hand with complete Ninjutsu Value must enter the battlefield at the beginning of combat, substituting another creature. Once they come into play using Ninjutsu, these creatures gain Haste so they may attack right away.

Ninjutsu Evergreen

Channel

“When you exile this card from your hand, if it has mana equal or greater than its Channel cost, perform that Channel effect.”

When Exiled from the player's hand with a given amount of mana, cards with Channel perform special effects, providing extra versatility for the player. Some cards have 2 Channel abilities and, in Magic:PQ, players may activate only the first one, by exiling the card with minimum mana for only the first ability, or activate both abilities when they exile the card with the minimal mana requirement to activate the second Channel ability as the requirement for the first ability would be already met.

Channel Evergreen

Reconfigure/Reconfigured

Reconfigure is an Evergreen found only on Support cards: 

“When this card enters the battlefield or when you match this support’s gem, if you control less than 3 creatures, create this card’s reconfigure token. ”

Supports with this Evergreen will Buff the player’s first creature only if the player does not control the related Reconfigure Token. Meanwhile, all theses Tokens posses the Reconfigured Evergreen:

“When you cast a creature, if you control 3 creatures, replace this one ”

Therefore, Support cards with Reconfigure will generate their related tokens if the player has available space on the battlefield and, if they can’t, the Support will Buff the player’s first creature at the beginning of combat. Also, if either the token or the Support is destroyed, their related counterpart will be destroyed as well.

Reconfigure Evergreen

Reconfigured Evergreen

Pilot

“This card may receive effects from Vehicle cards with Crew equal or lesser than this card’s Pilot value.”

Vehicles in Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty will give Pilot to a creature with high enough power value when they come into play. Some creatures also have the Pilot Evergreen inherently. Vehicle Supports of this Set will only buff creatures with Pilot value equal or lower than the Vehicle's Crew Value. If a player controls more than one creature with Pilot, one same Vehicle Support may Buff all those creatures if their Pilot Value is high enough.

Pilot Evergreen

Modified Creatures

“Modified creatures are creatures that are Buffed or have a Pilot evergreen.”

In Magic:PQ, Modified will work as a hint. Therefore, it will not have an Evergreen. If a creature is either Buffed or has the Pilot Evergreen, it will count as a Modified Creature which may interact with other cards in favor of the creature’s controller.

• New Planeswalker

The Wandering Emperor

“At a young age, the Emperor of Kamigawa’s encounter with the Artificer, Tezzeret  made her Spark ignite, causing her to Planeswalk away from her home plane. The event, however, also made her Spark unstable, demanding the Wandering Emperor to greatly concentrate just to avoid unwanted planeswalking. Finally, she comes back home thanks to her friend Kaito and the Soratami Tamiyo, and she will use all her might to help her people once more.”

Max Level Stats

Tokens

Samurai

(White) Creature - Samurai (2/2) Token

Renewed Surroundings

(White) Support Card - Enchantment (2) Token

“When you cast the first card during your turn: Gain 3 life. When you activate a Loyalty ability: This support loses 2 shield.”

Tezzeret, Betrayer of Flesh

“Partially composed by the magical alloy, Etherium, the Planeswalker Tezzeret is always scheming, craving for more and more power. Years ago, he came to Kamingawa and tried to control the powerful Spirit, Kyodai. Now, he’s back with a powerful ally in Jin Gitaxias. What this Etherium augmented Artificer might be planning this time?”

Max Level Stats

Tokens

Information Node

(Colorless) Support Card - Artifact Emblem (2) Token

“When this support gains shield: The first Artifact card in your hand gains X mana. X is the number of Artifact cards you control. 

When you match this support's gem: Draw a card.”

Construct 

(Colorless) Creature - Artifact Construct (1/1) Token

Kaito Shizuki

“Kaito was raised in the Imperial Palace alongside the Emperor Herself. When an attack from the Planeswalker Tezzeret caused his friend's disappearance, Kaito left in search of answers. After spending some time with both the Reckoner and the Futurists, Kaito is now an accomplished Cyber Ninja and awakened Planeswalker. He recently took notice that his mentor, Tameshi, betrayed the Futurists and is helping a mysterious creature known as  Jin-Gitaxias. With help of the Planeswalker Tamiyo, Kaito sets out to find the truth and his old friend, the Emperor and stop his former mentor’s plans.”

Max Level Stats

Tokens

Shadow Scroll

(Blue, Black) Support Card - Emblem (4) Token

“When a creature you control deals damage to your opponent’s Planeswalker: Pick 1 of the first 4 creature cards from your library. Fetch that card. It gains full mana. This effect can trigger up to 2 time(s) per turn. If this support has the Darkness Emblem - Your creatures gain Unblockable.”

Tamiyo, Compleated Sage

“Originally from the plane of Kamingawa, Tamiyo used her Planeswalker powers to travel the multiverse, observing, learning and registering what she saw, hardly interfering with history. This time, however, she was forced to act as her home plane was in danger. In the end, she was captured by the enemy and infused with Phyrexian technology. What shall be the bidding of her new masters?”

Max Level Stats

Tokens

Tamiyo’s Notebook

(Colorless) Support Card - Artifact Emblem (6) Token, Legendary, Mana Field

“Mana Field: Perform a random effect between:

Convert a gem to Green and a gem to Blue.

You lose 3 life and gain 3 Loyalty.”

• New Event: 

• The Kamigawa Run

• PvP, Coalition

• Progression, Rank and Coalition Rewards

• No Entrance Fee

• Standard

• Color Restriction for each node:

• “Search for the Emperor” Node: White, Red, and Green Planeswalkers.

• “Stealth Operation” Node: Blue and Black Planeswalkers.

• 2 Nodes
      • 2 initial charges
      • 6 maximum charges
      • 8h recharge time
      • Duration: 46h

• Changes

Event Changes

• Fate Is Rarely Fair’s deck restriction was changed to Legacy.

• The booster reward in the Trail of the Planes event was changed to the NEO Booster Pack.

• The booster reward in the Planechasing Fblthp event was changed from MID to VOW.

• The Standard Booster reward in the Nodes of Power event now includes cards from Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty (NEO). The Booster contains duplicable cards.

• Fixes 

• Fixed an issue where Dawnhart Mentor (MID) would not attack when buffed.

• Fixed an issue where the Battles from the Ages event was not giving the correct amount of Cards Mastery after winning a battle 

• Fixed an issue where Blink of an Eye was being cast even when the player had no accumulated mana in their hand.

Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty Card Galleryhttps://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4486921058089742&type=3

Comments

• Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,607 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2022
    Update - seems this is being fixed

@Oktagon_Support - There is something wrong with the picture for the wandering emperor.

and there are some variable names in the PW texts, so please double check all the pictures are correct.
  • DrRuphus
    DrRuphus Posts: 61 Match Maker
    It is just me or this time we don't have the link to cards preview?
  • Tremayne
    DrRuphus said:
    It is just me or this time we don't have the link to cards preview?
    I checked the Facebook page and the pictures do not seem to have been uploaded yet.
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Just looks like a string format() issue.
  • BongoTheGrey
    BongoTheGrey Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    • New Event: 

• The Kamigawa Run

• PvP, Coalition

• Progression, Rank and Coalition Rewards

• No Entrance Fee

• Standard

• Color Restriction for each node:

• “Search for the Emperor” Node: White, Red, and Green Planeswalkers.

• “Stealth Operation” Node: Blue and Black Planeswalkers.

• 2 Nodes

• All nodes are unlocked from the beginning.

• Duration: 46h

All nodes are unlocked from the beginning.
    Does that means that I can play the whole coalition event at once if I want to and then enjoy the rest of my weekend without worrying on losing recharges or weird end times? If that is the case then I absolutely love it!! I don't remember reading that on any other event details so I'm not sure if that is actually what that means.

@Oktagon_Support Could you please confirm if I'm interpreting that correctly?
  • Magic:PQ Support Team
    This event follows the same style as the other coalition events, it has initial charges and recharges throughout the event. Sorry if I spoiled your happiness, but I'll pass your idea on to the team, who knows, we might get something different for future events hahaha
    Anyway, soon I will bring more information about the event!
    Rebeca.
  • gozmaster
    gozmaster Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    LET IT BEGIN!!!!! LET IT BEGIN!!!!!
  • DrRuphus
    DrRuphus Posts: 61 Match Maker
    gozmaster said:
    LET IT BEGIN!!!!! LET IT BEGIN!!!!!
    Yeah! Light it up!
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,077 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2022

What’s New

Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty

New Content 

• New Mechanics 

Ninjutsu

“When a creature you control with base power 3 or less deals combat damage to your opponent’s Planeswalker, if this is the first card with Ninjutsu in your hand, increase this card’s Ninjutsu value by 1. At the beginning of the combat during your turn, if this creature’s Ninjutsu value is equal or greater than the required value, replace the target creature you control by this. Then, this creature gains haste until end of turn. Return the replaced creature to your hand.”

Ninjutsu is an ability related to creatures with the Ninja Subtype. It is an alternative way to put Ninjas into the battlefield and may trigger powerful effects while allowing the players to use their mana for other cards. Attacking with low power creatures will increase the Ninjutsu Value of Ninjas in the player's hand until the required value. To better avoid excessive decision making in Magic:PQ, cards in hand with complete Ninjutsu Value must enter the battlefield at the beginning of combat, substituting another creature. Once they come into play using Ninjutsu, these creatures gain Haste so they may attack right away.

Ninjutsu Evergreen

Channel

“When you exile this card from your hand, if it has mana equal or greater than its Channel cost, perform that Channel effect.”

When Exiled from the player's hand with a given amount of mana, cards with Channel perform special effects, providing extra versatility for the player. Some cards have 2 Channel abilities and, in Magic:PQ, players may activate only the first one, by exiling the card with minimum mana for only the first ability, or activate both abilities when they exile the card with the minimal mana requirement to activate the second Channel ability as the requirement for the first ability would be already met.

Channel Evergreen

Just reading the descriptions, these two mechanics don't seem very exciting 

Ninjitsu requires a creature slot in your deck with 3 or less power creature that you want to return to your hand? I suppose you may be able to do some kind of combo with multiple ninjas with power 3. And it might help with those event objectives which require you to cast a specific number of creatures.

My main problem with it is that the switch is happening at the start of the combat phase, by which time you probably already have filled your hand with mana and can cast the ninja anyway. Also the number of turns it may take to meet the Ninjitsu value, you may be better off casting the creature the old fashioned way. We'll have to see how it pans out in practical, but I'm not very excited about the mechanic.

Also skeptical about effectiveness of the channel mechanic, because the wording makes it seem like it needs the card with channel to have the required amount of mana. There is no way to control the mana once you make a match, you may get 3 mana or you may get 30 mana. So you need to disable the card if you want to channel it and may end up paying the cost of the entire card for a channel effect of just 5 mana. I think the mechanic would probably work better if it drained mana from your hand, like cycling does, instead of just from a specific card. 
  • Tremayne
    edited March 2022
    @khurram - well written. 

Your comment makes me think of a chat I had with a few players on discord yesterday. They theorised that the game developer is trying to increase the length of matches by making more complex game mechanisms which requires more rounds/turns to exploit (enhanced was used as a example I think)

Sadly, those who have played this game long knows that you need to kill Greg as quickly as possible in order to avoid a loss by cascade. So I’m not sure this set is going to be anything worth chasing (I have only briefly scanned the MP and mythics card in the forum).
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,077 Chairperson of the Boards
    The art on some of the cards is really cool, especially the ones which I'm assuming are the reprints from older kamigawa set. Its a shame the cards themselves seem rather dull. 
  • Janosik
    Janosik Posts: 314 Mover and Shaker
    khurram said:

There is no way to control the mana once you make a match, you may get 3 mana or you may get 30 mana. So you need to disable the card if you want to channel it and may end up paying the cost of the entire card for a channel effect of just 5 mana. I think the mechanic would probably work better if it drained mana from your hand, like cycling does, instead of just from a specific card. 
    Perhaps Channel could refund excess mana back to your hand
  • versemage
    versemage Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    edited March 2022
    Heartstone, I feel ya bra! Just due to personal preference, I only build standard decks (and yes, it makes things quite difficult during legacy events, but that's my own personal challenge) and having no standard creature vehicles really kinda sours one of my more favored planeswalkers. I also agree, either release creature vehicles again or modify her ability to work on any vehicle. And please put a standard toggle in the deck editor already for Pete's sake!
  • KrizzB
    KrizzB Posts: 91 Match Maker
    Saheeli already fetches The Omenkeel(Artifact Vehicle) with her ULT, so she can fetch any support vehicles.
  • KrizzB
    KrizzB Posts: 91 Match Maker
    On the topic of mistakes in the prerelease notes, the text for the emperor's Samurai token is actually the text for blood tokens @Oktagon_Support :

Samurai

(White) Creature - Samurai (2/2) Token

Mana Field: This support loses 1 shield. Then: If you have 4 or more cards in your hand — Discard a card. Draw a card. 

When you destroy this support: Your Vampire creatures get +1/+0 until end of turn.

• Magic:PQ Support Team
    edited March 2022
    Thanks for letting me know about this.
    The description was added there by mistake, the Samurai token has no description. I already corrected the post.
    I apologize for the inconvenience.
    Rebeca.
  • Heartstone
    Heartstone Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    KrizzB said:
    Saheeli already fetches The Omenkeel(Artifact Vehicle) with her ULT, so she can fetch any support vehicles.

@KrizzB you're right, it works now  😁
    Thanks !!

• BongoTheGrey
    BongoTheGrey Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    Hi @Oktagon_Support, are there any news about the new event details? We usually get the details a couple of days after the Pre Release notes are initially posted.

Thanks!