Character Rebalance - Wiccan (Billy Kaplan) (3/8/22)

LakeStone
LakeStone Posts: 1,377 Community Moderator

With the ability to warp reality, you couldn't just expect Wiccan’s powers to stay the same forever. Wiccan (Billy Kaplan) has received a couple of upgrades to his powers which are listed below. Check out his original (and still current as of today) stats here in our FAQs for comparison.

These changes will be applied on March 10th.

Upcoming Changes to Wiccan’s Powers

Mystical Destiny

• Threshold AP to transform lowered by 2 at all levels (requires 4 AP in all colors at level 5).

• Added a clause where if Wiccan is in front at the start of the turn, gain %APGain AP in a color you have less than 4 of.

Power of the Demiurge

• No changes

Magical Barrier

• Healing increased at all levels.

Chain Lightning

• Cost reduced from 12 to 10 (no change to damage)

Tagged:

Comments

• Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Thought a 5* was next.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2022
    Good changes, and they don't alter his playstyle either. He is just better and easier to use.
    Still not anywhere near the 4* meta, but better.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2022
    These are great changes. Need to see the numbers on healing to know if it’ll be enough to keep him alive.

interesting that he got the Hulking Support synergy perk built in as a passive. He was definitely one of the characters who came out missing a piece of his kit so they could be completed by a support. Frost and Fi5K were similarly in desperate need of that synergy perk from their supports.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,516 Chairperson of the Boards
    I really wish Chain Lightning was crazier. Like maybe it does no damage, but costs 4 AP (you'd of course have to make sure Polaris wouldn't synergize here). Kinda make him a 4* version of the 3* Loki.
    But, I digress. These are, once again, positive changes, but ones that probably still don't make him viable.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    As I appreciate the character change, my lack of caring is low due to it being a 4 star.

Any bets on which 4 star is next ?

My vote is Ghost just bc its so random
  • Blackstone
    Blackstone Posts: 595 Critical Contributor
    Wiccan, Mockingbird, and Chavez are a lot of fun.

Difficult to get going... But these changes could fix that...

Not a meta team... But a lot of fun to play with cascades, free powers, crits, and some nice animations if you have those on.
  • Venomous
    Venomous Posts: 222 Tile Toppler
    Yes! Yes Yes Yes! Another one of my favorite characters either being added or reworked. And I am so thankful they changed nothing at all. He's just better and way easier to use. What I am curious about though is if that passive persists even after Wiccan achieves his passive. One thing I feel like a lot of people neglected is once Wiccan enters the Demiurge state, he is permanently in front and can't be moved. 

If that passive stays even after he transforms, then he is now a constant AP 
    generator as long as he stays alive... And with that added healing, he can. Imagine someone who can generate 3 in a single color every turn. All that matters is whether that passive stays. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2022
    I think that is saying there is a N% chance to create a single AP on a color he has less than 4 of, but I’m not sure. That’s at least how the Hulkling perk works. Feels like you’d want that to be happening before he is the demiurge so he can get there quicker. 

His row and line clearing ways seem like they’d be good with Danver5 and Polaris to keep him flush with yellow, but I think he has to actually tank those colors to trigger that power rather than just being out front.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like using Wiccan against BRB/Polaris with BRB's cd tile out. It's a sight to see his Chain Lightning and BRB's cd triggers multiple times. I also use him with Wanda/Electro against iHulk just to watch everyone getting hit with 1 AoE damage.

Now, one can spam ap boost and you need to match only 1 or 2 colours to let him transform. 
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    I’d recently mentioned  I have 70 levels on Wiccan and never used him. This changes nothing.

Hopefully these take an hour in dev time or done by an apprentice or someone on work experience, otherwise it’s wasted dev time. 
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am curious about that % AP gain. Could it be that a 370 L wiccan gains 4 AP?. I think he will be a lot better.
    Needing him to be in front this change wouldn't affect 5* players.
    But as it can be seen in all forum contest, this game is mostly 4* players and so the rebalances.
  • MadScientist
    MadScientist Posts: 317 Mover and Shaker
    How does the AP gain interact if he has a Hulkling support equipped? Maybe Wiccan can be a useful AP battery in PVE?
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    These are decent changes, looking forward to trying him out.
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    This is appreciated.

Please do a 5star or two next month. (Ironman, Rescue or Banner would be my first requests). 
  • JimboJambo
    JimboJambo Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
    A good change for newer / 4* players. When Wiccan appears in DDQ I normally try to get Mystical Destiny to trigger. It is a lot of effort, even with the Hulkling support, so this is a welcome change. Chain Lightning hits hard when Wiccan is boosted, so the reduced cost will make him more dangerous when he is featured in PVP.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    I’m just here to read the whales get infuriated for having the devs waste their time not working on meta 5s. 
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    I’m just here to read the whales get infuriated for having the devs waste their time not working on meta 5s. 
    Everybody's entertainment is unique.
    But I wonder where did you read people wanting meta characters rebalanced.
    And I wonder if following that logic you playing with 5* characters does'nt makes you another whale.
  • JangoLore
    JangoLore Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
    I alwals liked playing with Wiccan even before the change, but it just took so dang long to gather AP to get him to transform.  So glad they made it easier to hit.  Looking forward to giving him a run.
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,528 Chairperson of the Boards
    Happy to see these changes even though I don't use Wiccan often. Hulkling is my only 5* support, so maybe I should dust this couple off and use them once more.
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    I also really like the buff here. I was hoping however the next rebalance would be a 5*.