**** Rhino (Classic) ****

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think it's because 5* players are more prone to calling for nerfs when characters released are "overpowered". That's why they have to play it safe with us. 

Let's look at the list of (meta) characters that had been nerfed or had threads calling for their nerfs. 

1) Polaris: 4* players
    2) Wanda: 5* players
    3) iHulk: 5* players
    4) Bishop: 5* players
    5) 4* Worthy Cap: 5* players
    6) Gambit: 5* players

As seen, majority of the nerfs come from 5* players. And nerfing 5* always has huge implications. So, 4* players being good children get better releases.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2022
    I don't think 4* characters are like that because 5* players having bad behaviour. 
    4*s possibly are like that because:
    - it's oriented to the most popular playerbase in game and it must be a great design 
    - 5* players actually want a 4* which they can use or they will start complaining about closing 4* tier
    - in fact any 4* could be close to OP because there will always be the excuse "they have low health".
    And remember 4* characters could have a better selling than 5*.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,904 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think it's because 5* players are more prone to calling for nerfs when characters released are "overpowered". That's why they have to play it safe with us. 

Let's look at the list of (meta) characters that had been nerfed or had threads calling for their nerfs. 

As seen, majority of the nerfs come from 5* players. And nerfing 5* always has huge implications. So, 4* players being good children get better releases.
    There have also been many threads over the past 3-4 years asking for nerfs to
    1) Grocket
    2) Kitty
    3) Okoye
    Even BRB got a few too before the depth of 5* land filled out more.
    Essentially any character who causes excessive health pack usage or takes a long time to beat (due to defense capabilities) is hated by the player base.
    Mistakes in character power in 5* land are catastrophic for the game because they also affect 4* land (as I mentioned a couple posts above). Mistakes in 4* land don't matter to 5* land minus the Bishop fiasco.
    KGB
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2022

Are you really suggesting that 4* players are objectively "better" than 5* players and are therefore rewarded with better releases?  That's absurd.
    Most calls for nerfs come from 5* players because most players that care enough about the game to engage in extra-game communications like asking for nerfs are long-time mpq players, and are therefore most likely to be 5* players.
    As you frequently point out, most dedicated players of this game can get into 5* land in a year or so nowadays if they save their LTs/cp. How many people care enough to start a nerf thread here on on reddit, but not enough to grind for the end game?
  • Blackstone
    Blackstone Posts: 596 Critical Contributor
    So... Rhino, shocker, spot... Looks like we're sticking to Spidey villains... But a green stun will be super nice to have regardless.

[ Feel free to skip through to the closing bracket to get back to the character...

May I request any devolving conversation concerning the overall state of the game, or division of character playability at various levels, be moved to a thread devoted to that topic?

Lots of good points are being made, from individuals with different perspectives, so please have those discussions.

It does become distracting, however, to sift through the arguments (especially when they're not really staying on the topic of the character) and focus on the character.

The above is not an attack on anyone and simply reflects my personal observation that such things seem to be becoming more prevalent and are kind of a buzz kill. 

No, I'm not a moderator, or anyone's boss, so you're welcome to continue doing whatever you like without flaming me. Just posting a, hopefully polite, request.

Thanks ]

Back to the subject though... It's probably Rhino, it really sounds like he's a good fit for the kit, but I'm usually way off when I go with my gut. Hence, why I guessed Spot. He's almost as obscure as Jackson Wheel, so why not?

Definitely not Fantomex... But I'm trying to keep his name in the mix.
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    5/3/5 seems like a slam dunk build even before full numbers are released.
  • HoundofShadow
    edited February 2022
    Let's be honest, the only thing humans  care about the most are themselves (and their closed ones). I don't think there exists any altruistic 5* player in this game. And, I didn't say 4* players are more objectively better than 5* players. I'm just saying 5* players are more prone to call for nerfs rather than other tiers of players. And I did a simple comparison by listing the many names that have been subjected to be nerfs or those that had been nerfed, and then attributing them to each tier of players.

Anyway, 3/5/5 against Polaris/R4G and 5/3/5 against other non special tile spammers. This character will be great against Sentry Fighters and his gangs. Throw in Sabretooth if there are any enemy strike tiles generated.

His shield training will be a breeze because he does AoE and stun. 4* Carnage will help him a lot in shield training as well. It all depends on what build the dev choose for his shield training. 5/3/5, use Valkyrie. 3/5/5/, use Carnage.
  • Pantera236
    Pantera236 Posts: 374 Mover and Shaker
    For the zillionth time, please put whoever makes 4* in charge of making 5* lol these powers are all so much better than the 5* garbage we've been getting.  Or, if it's the same person, let them have more freedom at 5* land.

I think this char would be fun with apocalypse/carnage.  Fire apocalypse's yellow, then anytime an enemy special tile is matched, KABLAMMO.
    Especially if it counts each sap tile matched as a separate hit. If so I would start leaving Polaris till last, just let her fill the board with sap and watch the other team melt away.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Characters who do something when matching enemy tiles are more limited than polaris type characters. 
    It's possible to use carnage 4 for to create free enemy tiles, but matching them will leave a board where only will be friendly special tiles, because carnage stops to create enemy tiles if it's reached the maximum on friendly special tiles. 
    It's possible to use carnage5 but there will be only 4 enemy tiles which could be hard to match and arguably it's better to let carnage use a free turn.
    As always my approach is that those characters need someone creating enemy special tiles more easily, for to change them from niche to active meta.
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    Will this character's match damage hit harder than J4ggs on green?

Green stun is nice. I think only c5clops in 5star tier has a green stun.

Jump in front is nice too. I can see him working very well with polaris and c4rnage despite the green overlaps.

Maybe the next 5star will be as good as him or her.

Also yay for more villains. 
  • HoundofShadow
    Juggernaut's match damage +225%, and Shuri has a green stun too.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sandman has a green stun also.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Very nice kit, I like this one.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,312 Site Admin
    With zero surprise from the pretty straightforward clue, introducing... Rhino!
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Doesn't look remotely anything like Paul Giamatti.

Kidding, I love the classic costumes for characters like Rhino and Scorpion, glad to see him join the roster. Here's hoping for Shocker down the line, that'd kinda round out my childhood favorites.
  • HoundofShadow
    His last power..  copy and paste error?
  • Heartbreaksoup
    Heartbreaksoup Posts: 352 Mover and Shaker
    I like the green stun and hope that he feeds Electro.
  • Djbob101
    Djbob101 Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    Electro is feed by Doc Ock already. Ngl He could feed Knull but he feels like he should feed Big Wheel instead. 
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 982 Critical Contributor
    Doc ock already feeds electro
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Flat 20% enemy power DR? Error or last second nerf?