**** Rhino (Classic) ****

IceIX
IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
edited May 2022 in Character Details

Rhino (Classic)
4-Star Rarity 
Affiliations: Villains, Sinister Six

"Hard Chargin"

(Abilities listed at level 70, followed by 270)
4816 Health / 17837 Health

9 | 10 | 33 | 8 | 42 | 37 | 23 | 3.0x
 12 | 13 | 65 | 11 | 85 | 74 | 43 | 3.0x

Trample - 8  AP
How do you stop a charging rhinocerous? YOU DON'T. Rhino barrels through the opposition, dealing 46 damage to the enemy team and destroying a random 3x3 block of tiles. If Rhino was in front, also stun a random enemy for 1 turn. (Destroyed tiles don't deal damage or generate AP.) (Max level 90 damage)
  • Level 2: Deals 112 damage to the enemy team. (Max level 218 damage)
  • Level 3: Deals 178 damage to the enemy team and destroys an additional 1 enemy or basic tile. (Max level 347 damage)
  • Level 4: Deals 273 damage to the enemy team, destroys an additional 2 enemy or basic tiles, and stuns for 2 turns. (Max level 535 damage)
  • Level 5: Deals 534 damage to the enemy team, destroys an additional 4 enemy or basic tiles, and stuns for 3 turns. (Max level 1044 damage)
Rhino-Might! - 7  AP
Rhino explodes onto the scene like a wrecking ball. Rhino deals 330 damage, creates 2 strength 24 Fortified Protect tiles, and 2 strength 5 enemy Strike tiles.

(PASSIVE) Whenever an enemy Strike, Attack, or Protect tile is matched or destroyed, Rhino deals 133 damage and jumps to the front. (Max level 644 damage/strength 46 Protect/strength 9 Strike/259 damage)
  • Level 2: Deals 446 damage and creates strength 32 Fortified Protect tiles. Deals 171 damage when jumping to the front. (Max level 871 damage/strength 62 Protect/strength 9 Strike/333 damage)
  • Level 3: Deals 563 damage and creates strength 41 Fortified Protect tiles. Deals 209 damage when jumping to the front. (Max level 1099 damage/strength 78 Protect/strength 9 Strike/406 damage)
  • Level 4: Deals 796 damage and creates strength 60 Fortified Protect tiles. Deals 284 damage when jumping to the front. (Max level 1553 damage/strength 114 Protect/strength 9 Strike/553 damage)
  • Level 5: Deals 1262 damage and creates 3 Fortified Protect tiles. Deals 461 damage when jumping to the front. (Max level 2462 damage/strength 114 Protect/strength 9 Strike/897 damage)
Hide Bound -  PASSIVE
(PASSIVE) Rhino takes 15% less damage from enemy powers.
Friendly Protect tiles are 6% more effective for Rhino if he is in front.
Rhino's Green, Blue, and Black base match damage is increased by 50%.
  • Level 2: Takes 20% less damage from enemy powers, friendly Protect tiles are 8% more effective, and Rhino's Green, Blue, and Black base match damage is increased by 70%.
  • Level 3: Takes 25% less damage from enemy powers, friendly Protect tiles are 10% more effective, and Rhino's Green, Blue, and Black base match damage is increased by 85%.
  • Level 4: Takes 36% less damage from enemy powers, friendly Protect tiles are 15% more effective, and Rhino's Green, Blue, and Black base match damage is increased by 125%.
  • Level 5: Takes 58% less damage from enemy powers, friendly Protect tiles are 25% more effective, and Rhino's Green, Blue, and Black base match damage is increased by 200%.

Release Events:

Story

Honor Among Thieves - February 24 - March 1

• Rewards tokens to the Honor Among Thieves Cover Pack

• Rhino (Classic) in Placement rewards

Operation Spider Silk - February 28 - March 4

• Rhino (Classic) in Progression rewards

Welcome to S.H.I.E.L.D. - February 27 - March 4

• Rhino (Classic) shards in Progression rewards

• Rewards tokens to the Rhino & Foes vault

Versus

Web 2.0 - February 24 - 28

• Rhino (Classic) in Placement rewards

Crash Course - February 27 - March 2

• Rhino (Classic) in Progression rewards

• Rewards tokens to the Rhino & Foes vault

Offers

Rhino & Foes - February 24 - March 4

• 80 Item Vault

• 3x 4-Stars

• 1x Rhino cover

• 1x Blob (Modern) cover

• 1x Random 4-Star cover

• 7x Tokens

• 1x Legendary token

• 1x Mighty Token

• 2x Heroic Tokens

• 3x Beginner Support tokens

• 6x Iso-8

• 1x 5,000 Iso-8

• 2x 2,500 Iso-8

• 3x 1,000 Iso-8

• 15x 3-Stars

• 3x Spider-Man (Classic) cover

• 12x Random 3-Star covers

• 49x 2-Stars

• 10x Captain Marvel (Ms. Marvel) cover

• 39x Random 2-Star covers

Comments

• TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    Another anti Polaris attempt, similar power to Rockjaw. Still think it’s 🦏 Rhino
  • will7612
    will7612 Posts: 56 Match Maker
    A rare breed/combination Rogue (to the front)/Blob (receives damage); also a stunner, seems like Shocker to me

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2022
    4* who jumps on front and has very limited DR against match damage?  That will be a super fun essential character. Wish I could save all the black covers until this character rotates or if the latest/featured 4* pool.
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    Looks to be very solid and seemingly fun to play. I don't think there's many stun abilities on green as far as I can remember.  
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,544 Chairperson of the Boards
    AOE and a green stun? Um, sign me up for that all day.
    Jumps in front and reduces both match and power damage? Yes, please.
    Deals passive damage? Thank you, may I have another?
    This is a fantastic character. Meta is debatable, but this is a great kit.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,928 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2022
    Borstock said:

Where do you see the reduced match damage? Or are you considering it a byproduct of protect tiles being 25% stronger?
    KGB
  • Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 358 Mover and Shaker
    For the zillionth time, please put whoever makes 4* in charge of making 5* lol these powers are all so much better than the 5* garbage we've been getting.  Or, if it's the same person, let them have more freedom at 5* land.

I think this char would be fun with apocalypse/carnage.  Fire apocalypse's yellow, then anytime an enemy special tile is matched, KABLAMMO.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,544 Chairperson of the Boards
    KGB said:
    Borstock said:

Where do you see the reduced match damage? Or are you considering it a byproduct of protect tiles being 25% stronger?
    KGB

I read it wrong. You're right. The character's own match damage gets increases on certain colors.
    Still. Good character.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Another anti-Polaris again! If this character can't be stunned, I think Polaris would be a goner. 

Second ability looks similar to Sabretooth's ability. Sabretooth + ?? = killing machine against Polaris/R4G. 

58% looks like a weird number.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think it's another great 4* char. For a new player starting now, having him and polaris could be awesome as he always would be in front. And a green stun is great.
    A superb partner for polaris . Also he creates enemy tiles along with polaris: enabling a free slot for morbius or mantis on pvp.
    For 5* players then it's not so awesome, except for making a specialized protect tiles team with magneto.

• tonypq
    edited February 2022
    For the zillionth time, please put whoever makes 4* in charge of making 5* lol these powers are all so much better than the 5* garbage we've been getting.  Or, if it's the same person, let them have more freedom at 5* land.

I think this char would be fun with apocalypse/carnage.  Fire apocalypse's yellow, then anytime an enemy special tile is matched, KABLAMMO.
    I second this. 
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    The green AOE is like Sandman, which also stuns (but for 2 turns).  Destroying a 3x3 block is like Thing’s green power.  Passively jumping to the front (based on a match) is similar to Rogue.  Passively reducing damage from enemy powers is also like Rogue.  Passively dealing damage when either team matches enemy specials sounds like Medusa & Morbius powers combined.  The black power to place both enemy and friendly specials reminds me of 3*Hawkguy (and that power is better known for its passive component).  Unconditional Increased match damage is like Juggernaut. Then we have conditional increase to protect tiles.  

Overall, there’s a lot going on with this character.  The passive dmg reduction and dmg dealing on enemy special matches is yet another Polaris (& Medusa) counter.  Ironically, this character also looks like a good partner with Polaris & Medusa.  If this was a 5*, they would be good against Wanda. 
  • KGB
    edited February 2022
    tonypq said:

I second this. 
    Unfortunately they have to be extra careful when designing 5* characters. Not only because of the affect on 5* PvP but also on 4* too.
    There are essentially 4 classes of higher level PvP play
    1) 3*-early 4* player (someone with a handful of the meta 4*s champed).
    2) 4* players (someone with 30+ 4* champed and many 5* either fully covered and soft capped or with 8+ covers)
    3) Baby 5* players (someone with multiple meta 5* champs in the 450-480 range)
    4) End game players (someone with multiple 525-550s)
    If you make a really powerful meta 4*, you only affect classes 1 and 2 and in reality there are already plenty of OP characters there so 1 more doesn't matter much esp since many players skip as fast as possible to class 3.
    If you make a really powerful 5*, you affect classes 1-4 and depending on how powerful or how many covers needed to unlock the really good abilities you could entirely wreck classes 1-2. Kitty's Yellow was a good example of this because even 1-2 Yellow covers made her a better option that just about anyone else in 4* land.
    KGB
  • Blackstone
    Blackstone Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2022
    Finally, the evil SPOT makes his MPQ, debut.

• bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    KGB said:
    tonypq said:

I second this. 
    Unfortunately they have to be extra careful when designing 5* characters. Not only because of the affect on 5* PvP but also on 4* too.
    2) 4* players (someone with 30+ 4* champed and many 5* either fully covered and soft capped or with 8+ covers)
    If you make a really powerful meta 4*, you only affect classes 1 and 2 and in reality there are already plenty of OP characters there so 1 more doesn't matter much esp since many players skip as fast as possible to class 3.
    If you make a really powerful 5*, you affect classes 1-4 and depending on how powerful or how many covers needed to unlock the really good abilities you could entirely wreck classes 1-2. Kitty's Yellow was a good example of this because even 1-2 Yellow covers made her a better option that just about anyone else in 4* land.
    KGB
    Where do you classify a player with 1 x 5* meta champ, multiple other 5*s with 10 - 12 covers and 5 x 4* meta champs?  That roster doesn’t fall neatly into one of your categories.  I think the variety of rosters and players is more diverse than you think.  I even came across a roster where their only 5* champ was Wasp.  
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    I also am glad the best character designs are in 4*, which seems to be basic common sense in game mechanics. I don’t want a new highly useful or meta character in 5* released every month . It takes me a month to champ a 4*, but a year to champ a 5*, so the only player base it helps are the 6 year plus whales. (1%?)
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,017 Chairperson of the Boards
    He’s got some nice stuff. 

- A green stun
    - a cheap black that puts 2 fortified shields out. A black color that puts out forts can be really good. 
    - takes less damage from powers and hits hard with matches. 

I’m assuming he’s rhino and team affiliation is Sinister Six?
  • KGB
    edited February 2022
    bbigler said:
    KGB said:
    tonypq said:

I second this. 
    KGB
    Where do you classify a player with 1 x 5* meta champ, multiple other 5*s with 10 - 12 covers and 5 x 4* meta champs?  That roster doesn’t fall neatly into one of your categories.  I think the variety of rosters and players is more diverse than you think.  I even came across a roster where their only 5* champ was Wasp.  

You are a borderline class 3 player since you have 1 meta 5* champed and a few more more close. At the moment though your still technically class 1 player (you can't take advantage of boosts because you have so few characters nor can you use a deep bench to form lots of teams to counter specific opponents so you use the same 3-4 meta characters over and over).
    There really aren't more than 4 classes of rosters even if some rosters like yours straddle 2 categories (you are transitioning directly from class 1 to class 3 which as I said, many are trying to do).
    KGB
  • Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 358 Mover and Shaker
    I don't need/want every 5* to be super crazy meta.  Hell I've been using polaris/brb forever in scl10 lol.  Just finally got BRB champed with the recent store, before that he had maybe 5-6 covers.

The last time I was excited for a LL trio was scarlet witch/ronan/knull.  SW comes up often for me, ronan is fun on 1v1 fights (suck it apocalypse!), and knull comes up rarely for me.  But they all had interesting/varied powers and even though they aren't in my teams most of the time, I feel like they're solid units, I can just get through faster with a polaris-focused team so I do.

More importantly, they have unique powers.  A lot of 5* in the past year or 2 have 4*s that can do the same stuff but better, the only difference being higher stats.  Really don't need more low/random AP destruction, super high cost stuns, and saaaaaad strike/attack/protect tile creation.
  • tonypq
    I'm not on board with the notion of almost purposely releasing lousy 5s because it can impact tiers below. Nothing in this game is balanced. Unless you consider the chaos that exists due to a lack of it as some semblance of balance. There should be a more attractive carrot to chase for 5* players than a lot of the bland characters we're often getting. Especially since new worthwhile events almost never happen, new characters is really the bulk of what 5 tier players have to look forward to IMO. 

As far as every 5 having to be meta, I don't see anyone really asking for that. Every 5 release doesn't have to meet or extend the meta at that tier. What I do see many players aggravated about is newly released characters with the obligatory dead power  we get too often. An ability that is just so poorly developed or under tuned that it's essentially useless. Or worse a new 5 with multiple abilities that that miss by a mile. Characters like that aren't exciting or good for the game.

There's no reason why some new 5s are already past their expiration date before even hitting latest legends. I understand that every character won't be a home run or meta and that's fine. But they should be fun and functional enough to be absolutely relevant and do at least a couple things well.