Colorless Mox#6?

Options
Asylamb
Asylamb Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
edited February 2022 in MtGPQ General Discussion
So, we've recently had the last (5th) of the colored Moxes, but if we compare with Paper Magic we are still missing one Mox (Diamond) which gives mana of any color. And that got me thinking about Karn's Signature Spellbook.
Why this one?
1. Those who follow Magic Story might have noticed that New Phyrexians are starting to explore other worlds looking for ways to improve their own nature.
In Kaldheim we had Vorinclex steal a sample of Cosmos Elixir.
In Kamigawa we have
Jin-Gitaxias experiment on Kami to learn the nature of a soul, and then create the first compleated Planeswalker while still retaining their spark - Tamiyo.
And Karn has close ties with New Phyrexia, he basically created it. He's also "groomed" by Phyrexians to become the new Father-of-Machines.
---
2. Right now the only type of cards that can't get any mana from Moxes are colorless cards. And that makes the cycle feel incomplete. I would have probably use Mox Opal for Karn, because it's from Mirrodin, but since that card is already used for AER Masterpiece, Mox Diamond would do.

Mox Option 1. The original card mentions discarding a card, but I think it would be fun to replace that effect in PQ with reducing your PW's colored mana bonuses by some amount (2?), but instead give +1 to Loyalty bonus and a +1 mana from a Loyalty match.
And the Mana Field effect would be smth like "Give full mana to the first card in your hand that can get mana".
Mox Option 2. A worse but cleaner effect would be no negatives effects from the Mox Diamond, but it would give mana only to colorless cards.
I'd prefer Option 1.
---
3. The new PMA PW should obviously be Karn.
Mox Option 1: Karn also has a mana bonus ramping ability (probably as 2nd/3rd ability) and costs the same as any colorless PW.
Mox Option 2: Karn has his own set of abilities, distinct from DOM Karn, but costs as a monocolor PW. His abilities should also be focused on using monocolored cards. Like, the first mono-non-colored PW. Still able to use every colors but having the crazy boost from colorless decks.
---
4. The new Mechanic/Improved Gems could be Compleat/Compeated. I haven't thought it through yet, but it is linked to Phyrexian mana, which is pay Life instead of Mana. It seems pretty monoblack, and less powerful than Seed gems. So, maybe, lose up to 5 life (1 for each color on the board) and gain X (capped) mana for the number of Loyalty gems?
Creatures with Compleat would gain mana from Loyalty gems (similar to Snow creatures and Snow gems).
A very rough draft.

Comments

• Tezzeret
    Tezzeret Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
    Options
    We didn't get diamond... but we did get 45 new pma cards... that will be eternal standard.... that we currently have one way of obtaining...

I pray that okty  will make a pma event or another way to obtain these beyond a 240 gold purchase 
  • Tezzeret
    Options
    That being said I love your reasoning and the lore reminder.!
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I like the creativity and lore of your idea, and a colorless mox would be nice as well as colorless cards for standard.

My only problem with a "colorless only" set up is that you have a worse choice in cards than a monocolor pw. colorless cards (in origins) are more of an add on  to a colored deck than a way to win by itself. the same goes for the rest of standard.   Only the Kaladesh block was different in that sense but it was heavily artifact centred.

• Asylamb
    Asylamb Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    edited February 2022
    Options
    "Colorless only" Mox could still be useful when playing with expensive artifact supports (Pyromancer's Googles comes to mind first) or creatures (Hangarback Walker), as well as Eldrazi in Legacy. But I would agree that it's very limiting and that's why I indicated that I would prefer Option 1 (full mana to the first card of any color that can gain mana, but with some drawback, such as minus to all the colored mana bonuses).
  • Tezzeret
    Options
    Calling it now. After a BUNCH of.pma cards get thrown at us we will see some sort OF "PMA ELITE" pack with ultra cards:
    One being black lotus.....
  • Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 462 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Nah, skip the colorless Mox and just give us 'Tron in PQ.

(Yes, some of us just like to watch the world burn. >:) )
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Tezzeret said:
    We didn't get diamond... but we did get 45 new pma cards... that will be eternal standard.... that we currently have one way of obtaining...

I pray that okty  will make a pma event or another way to obtain these beyond a 240 gold purchase 
    a PMA event would be a great idea. Placing higher ranks allows for players to buy a card at a reduced price bracket. 1st earns a new free PMA non-dupe card
  • Tezzeret
    Options
    Or a "master the puzzle" node where you have to pick  mono colored walker to enter and whichever color you select is the color.of the pma rewards you "would"  get if sore high enough. Then you could zero in on your desired color