“The only constant in life is the unknown.”       

Event Type: PvE

Entry fee of 100 Mana Crystals

Deck Restrictions: Legacy

Rewards: Progression

Number of nodes: 1

All Planeswalker colors are allowed;

Event Duration: 46h

Do you have what it takes to face the unknown? Then, come! Join the battles of the ages! Literally. You never know which character you’ll run into. Might be a recent story rival, or a long forgotten boss, sometimes even that much forgotten that you never even heard of! You’ll need to be prepared for anything, so: grab your gear, your mana, your library - maybe even a companion - and face this challenge!

SPECIAL RULES

Face randomly chosen opponents in sequence. You can lose up to 3 matches per entry and play up to 7 matches. Each victory grants you 10 points, and each defeat grants you 5. Your rewards will be based upon your score.

Each battle features a different enemy. Event supports may be spawned according to the opponent.

OBJECTIVES

Nicol Bolas

Win the Fight!

• Win the fight against your opponent!

• Reward: 200 Mana Runes, +10 Score.

REWARDS

Exclusive Cards

Innistrad: Midnight Hunt

Innistrad: Crimson Vow

Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty

----------

Post your strategies for this event below!

Comments

• gozmaster
    gozmaster Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    My Strategies? 

Crush My Enemies, See them Driven Before me... 

...And Hear the Lamentations of their women. 
  • DrRuphus
    DrRuphus Posts: 61 Match Maker
    @gozmaster

So an **** to mouth dragon with sarkhan vol?
  • DrRuphus
    edited February 2022
    My strategy is pretty simple. Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war. The stakes are just too high for subtlety

PS: I like the idea of an all star boss challenge. Really curious about what good ol' Nick Bolas will bring to the table
  • BongoTheGrey
    BongoTheGrey Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    I noticed that we are going to be playing against just "Nicol Bolas" without any title like "the Ravager". So I really hope that we will be facing OG book reading Nicol Bolas. If you could make this happen and the PW art of the AI we face is the original Nicol Bolas art it would be amazing!!

• gozmaster
    gozmaster Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    DrRuphus said:
    @gozmaster

LOL, SHHHHH! There are children a foot :P
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Adding this to the event thread so this info isn't fragmented around the boards:
    Hello everyone,

The event Battle from the Ages includes an Exclusive Cards Booster, with cards that are only available in this event. The Booster is non-duplicate and contains the following cards:

Mythic Creature Card Enduring Angel (MID)
    Mythic Creature Card Moonveil Regent (MID)
    Mythic Creature Card Avabruck Caretaker (VOW)
    Mythic Support Card Necroduality (VOW)

Rebeca.
  • DrRuphus
    gozmaster said:
    DrRuphus said:
    @gozmaster

LOL, SHHHHH! There are children a foot :P
    Sorry, It's a technical colloquialism i mutuated from the goonhammer blog  :s
  • OmniTron
    OmniTron Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    Lose 1 match and say goodbye to the 2 final rewards..? 
    Not very nice...
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    OmniTron said:
    Lose 1 match and say goodbye to the 2 final rewards..? 
    Not very nice...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can still hit the next-to-last reward with a loss
    Wins = 10 // Losses = 5
    • W: 10
    • L: 5
    • Total: 65
  • HyRosen
    HyRosen Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    I won this easily using a Narset / Wizard Class recursion deck.
  • Barnabes
    Barnabes Posts: 72 Match Maker
    So here’s what i experienced:

you can play until you either win 7 matches or lose 3 matches. So as long as you don’t lose 3 times you are guaranteed the full rewards, and you can probably win 6 times then scoop twice instead of playing through a seventh. So the risk  level is much lower than originally expected. 

The enemies are from various past events, all seem fairly high in HP lowest I’ve encountered was 150~ highest was 500~) making for grindy   fights that are easiest to win using loop combos (I used Tamiyo with Omni-Whir Second Sun). I assume some enemies are more challenging than others and may require some strategizing but most are just beef. 

There are no secondary objectives meaning some fights that are usually harder due to self imposed restrictions are now quite simple. 

I was allowed to complete the event twice so far and can still start it a third time. I would guess the rewards in the exclusive pack will change every time they run it, since you can get all of them this weekend. 

Overall, not a very original or interesting event for veterans but profitable if you have time and want mythics. 
  • HyRosen
    Each run through (providing you succeed) will cost you 55 yellow, for which you will get 55 pink, 6k runes, a standard booster, a non-dup legacy rare, and one of the four exclusive mythics.  I've been saving my yellows for PMA cards, but I went for this four times and got all the prizes.  I didn't lose any games at all, using a simple looping deck:

PW: Narset of the Ancient Way
    U - Wizard Class
    M - Magma Opus
    U - Beacon Bolt
    R - Whir of Invention
    C - Tezzeret's Ambition
    R - Rite of Flame
    R - Talent of the Telepath
    C - Sage's Row Savant
    C - Secrets of the Golden City
    U - Helping Hands

I'm sure there are lots of variations you can do based on the collection you have.  Magma Opus is nice because it disables opposing creatures, so even if they have defenses, it doesn't help them after the first one goes off.  I haven't tried using Approach of the Second Sun, but that would probably be fine too.

The main worry is getting a Wizard Class into play soon enough, but that mostly hadn't been a problem for this deck. A couple of the opponents can destroy your supports, so that can cause a bit of trouble because you may need to cast Wizard Class a few times to get one to stick.
  • DrRuphus
    As I said above I went for an under aggro dragon deck. Instead of sarkhan vol I opted for kalemne as pw

Cards:
    - tiamat
    -ur dragon
    -velomachus lorehold
    -mox red and white
    - fiery emancipation
    - magma opus
    -alchemist gambit
    -ruinous ultimatum
    -valkmira the shield

Cheeky as they get but it guaranteed a smooth sailing throughout the event
  • HyRosen
    Are the exclusive cards in this round the same as last time?
  • Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,257 Chairperson of the Boards
    *UPDATE (4/6/2022)
    Added Innistrad: Midnight Hunt, Innistrad: Crimson Vow and Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty exclusive cards images
  • KrizzB
    KrizzB Posts: 91 Match Maker
    @Oktagon_Support Thank you for making this event and adding to it as sets get released, this is probably the best value content you have made for us players in many years! 

Thank you 😁
  • DragonSorcerer
    DragonSorcerer Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    edited April 2022
    @Oktagon_Support Just completed the event and the Standard booster does NOT include NEO and the Exclusive content booster does NOT include the 2 NEO cards shown above. Just wasted my time and 100 mana crystals. I've raised a support ticket, 122779.
  • AoMadness
    AoMadness Posts: 76 Match Maker
    @Oktagon_Support no new neon exclusives, going to.keep the pack till its updated 
  • Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,257 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hi guys, thanks for letting me know about this!
    I've already forwarded it to the team to check and correct, as soon as I have any updates on this, I'll let you know.
  • BongoTheGrey
    BongoTheGrey Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    Thank you @Oktagon_Support ! Those of us that already played the event today and got the incomplete pack will get an updated pack as soon as the issue is corrected or do we all have to create a ticket with customer support?