So...Lazy Daken....

Everyone else as completely unenthused over this one as I am?

Not even counting the fact that this makes three lazy characters in a row, One of the things I've been looking forward to most about the 2-3* transition is escaping the hell that is Dakens everywhere. I feel like Daken's purple is just bad design. It leaves you with no good choices. Take the green? Give your opponent strike tiles. Leave the green? Hope the AI gives you a couple turns before your opponent gets green *and* strike tiles.

I hope that 3* Daken produces tiles only on his own matches and has a 3rd ability to compensate, but i doubt it.

Comments

• Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ice has said they made a batch of new characters at the same time, so this group of gold characters they've been releasing were already on the pipeline despite the bad reception.
    So I think the devs have made note of that and once they release all teh gold characters they have on the backburner we should see a lot less gold releases.
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    I love Daken. Been waiting for a version that could contend with Punisher

cause

Well... You know.
  • Clintman
    Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
    Looking forward to a gold Daken, he will pair unbelievably with Psylocke
  • MaxCavalera
    MaxCavalera Posts: 425 Mover and Shaker
    The way current gold releases have been I would not be surprised if he still only has 2 skills that behave nearly identical. This will make him quite good at level 115 and be destined for a partnership with psylocke. I still wish they went the route of adding a 3rd power to existing 2 power characters. I feel like people would be a lot more excited to improve characters they have already invested ISO into and time collecting covers and you wouldn't have to increase roster space for an identical character.
  • 3* Daken will be a huge asset to any team, i'm still using 2* daken in many situations because with him matches end quick.
    i will definitely lvl up 3* daken as soon as he comes out.
  • I would be shocked if he gained a third skill, because IceIX said that the reasoning behind the gold characters was to allow the devs to spend more time developing completely new characters while still releasing "new" prizes for the events. I expect one of his two passives to get a minor upgrade, though--3* Thor got a decent amount of increased damage on his yellow, and 3* Cap generates a defense tile with his blue. Of the two abilities, I'd guess that his regen is more likely to be improved, giving 3* another tank option, though if I'm wrong...damn, improving his strike tile generation will *hurt*.

One way to look at this: 3* Daken will be on the same tier as Patch, with an ability set that's fairly similar (regen/strike tiles). Patch can go to 141, though, while 3* Daken will cap out at 115...but Daken probably won't be much worse than Patch, since it wouldn't make much sense to generate a "new" character that's strictly worse than an old character. 3* Daken will probably be one scary beast.
  • But you will be able to use patch *and* gold daken even if one is clearly stronger together that is kinda scary
  • Clint wrote:

Eh? Sarcasm?

She needs red and places her strike tiles on red meaning there won't be enough red tiles on the board. I guess you're thinking about her black ability.

I would think you want to play daken with someone that doesn't need red so you can leave those strike tiles be and instead use someone with a strong green ability.

Dr. Doom, LazyDaken and GSBW maybe. All the black goes to Doom for summon demons that do massive damage with the strike tiles that have been generated and Sniper rifle to finish them off and deceptive tactics to generate more green.
  • Psylocke black is fast at 6. Match two green to get red strikes out, then you can spam psylocke red at 5. The direct damage component to her red will quickly outpace the advantages of her slightly better red strike tiles.
  • Milkrain wrote:
    Clint wrote:

Eh? Sarcasm?

She needs red and places her strike tiles on red meaning there won't be enough red tiles on the board. I guess you're thinking about her black ability.

I would think you want to play daken with someone that doesn't need red so you can leave those strike tiles be and instead use someone with a strong green ability.

Make 2 red matches, make a green match, use Psylocke's red, make 2 red matches (if you destroy one of Daken's strikes in the process rejoice), wait until one of the original three red strike tiles have been destroyed (hopefully his), use Psylocke's red, rinse... repeat... profit. Worst case you have a cheap 5 ap move that deals decent damage. Throw in some attack tiles and you're golden...

I know some will think that is annoying but it's synergies/tactics like that, that make me love this game.
  • Make 2 red matches, make a green match, use Psylocke's red, make 2 red matches (if you destroy one of Daken's strikes in the process rejoice), wait until one of the original three red strike tiles have been destroyed (hopefully his), use Psylocke's red, rinse... repeat... profit. Worst case you have a cheap 5 ap move that deals decent damage. Throw in some attack tiles and you're golden...

I know some will think that is annoying but it's synergies/tactics like that, that make me love this game.
    Ideally, you want to make 1 green match and hope the strike tiles are placed in a position where they are easy to match. Then get some red AP, use Psylocke's red, match 1-2 Daken's strike tiles and use her ability again. Then follow with her black for some great direct damage and ~600 damage each turn end.

However, this strategy requires too much planning and is not entirely under your control. In my matches I rarely play with less than 4 strike tiles since I use Ares and go for the green whenever I can. If the opponent has Ares of Patch then you absolutely have to get the available green because they will destroy you with a lucky cascade. Also, what do you do if the starting board may have 2 easy green matches (separate or from an obvious cascade)? Since either you or the opponent will match them it's best if your get them first which leads to the same result.
  • Does "Classic" mean we have to look at that stupid mohawk during fights?
  • Milkrain wrote:
    Clint wrote:

Eh? Sarcasm?

Dr. Doom, LazyDaken and GSBW maybe. All the black goes to Doom for summon demons that do massive damage with the strike tiles that have been generated and Sniper rifle to finish them off and deceptive tactics to generate more green.

If you think Psylocke is screwed by Daken, Doom is double screwed. He places his demons on red.
  • Patch and Daken would annoy the **** out of me.
  • Hulk...... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Moral
    Moral Posts: 512
    Lazy Daken + lazy Thor.

Go ahead. Deny green.

And you thought Thunder Strike hurt before.
  • I'm feeling oddly neutral about this. I've been using Daken a lot recently and it can be unbelievably fun, of course, but as always, some fights have made me want to throw my phone at the wall. I guess I'll decide how I feel after I see what modifications (if any or how big or not) 3* Daken has.

Regardless, I'm going to aim to get a few covers and test him out myself, of course, so...
  • Not thrilled by any of the lazy characters and this may be the worst of them. Since he's a three star which will be the same as the two star only more maybe he'll get a 15 minute animation on green matches!

It also bugs me that these **** characters dilute the cover pool making it that much harder to build useful characters out. And that we have to purchase slots to store this junk. But at least we'll be forced to have these **** covers to compete in certain events!

I finally got to the point where getting new covers isn't hard and I'm rewarded with this?! Seriously hope the devs go back to innovating and quality soon. This game is significantly less fun than it used to be. And Marvel has thousands of characters to pick from. I just don't get this obsession with reusing the same ones over and over again.

• It also bugs me that these **** characters dilute the cover pool making it that much harder to build useful characters out. And that we have to purchase slots to store this junk. But at least we'll be forced to have these **** covers to compete in certain events!

This is indeed annoying. It makes it more important going forward that with the cover packs where there is a limited number of possible 3* characters (or only one possible 3* character) that they rotate it intelligently and don't just throw in 20 possible characters or keep including the same guys every time, so that people can say "I want to max Psylocke, I'll go hard to win tokens and spend my HP on tokens when she's in the rotation" and actually stand a reasonable chance of getting Psylocke covers from those tokens if they do get a 3*.
  • There are really two ways to max covers. 1 Spend hp to buy the cover you want. Requires a good deal of saving or an expensive purchase. 2 win the covers you need from tournaments.

The first way can be repeated by people who buy hp and thus can be done right away. If you horde hp, you can use this strategy to help you max a single character (unless you hirde aLOT of hp). So unless you're spending a ton of money, it takes a long time to max a character. Don't worry though, that's a good thing. There's no reason to play the game if you aren't trying to win covers you need.

Don't rush, enjoy the ride.