Week 35 - Archangel, Black Bolt, Captain Marvel, Ultron

Comments

• Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    I say, after the change to her Green to skip friendly tiles when destroying the rows, it might be better to change the passive on Red also, to make yellow AP when your strike tiles are matched away. Perhaps only after her own Green board destruction, if there was fear of it being too good? That way, she'd favor teammates who put strike tiles on just one same color, as she does on Red tiles.

So, you'd have the old, presumably intended, cycle - fire Red, have some strikes, fire Green, lose some strikes but make yellow and red AP from them, fire yellow for heal and damage and fire Red again, as new basic tiles should be again available, starting the cycle again. 
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,807 Chairperson of the Boards
    The whole thing is just so convoluted, I'm not sure why you'd bother.  Compare her to Thor, who just straight-up generates 1000 AP in the same colors every turn for free, while Carol makes you jump through all these weird hoops for significantly worse payoffs. 

Everyone can't be good (right?) but she shouldn't be slower, more complicated, and *also* do less damage. 

That's what I mean when I'm talking about characters who completely outclass other characters at the same tier.  If she's going to be slow or complicated, she needs to hit harder than Thor to make the tradeoff worthwhile.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I mean it didnt used to be that convoluted - fire Polaris’blue, make a few green matches, fire green and turn the whole board into strike tiles with a money bin full of yellow so that your third character who can surely use all that yellow uses the yellow. 
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,807 Chairperson of the Boards
    Carol existed in that weird underpowered complicated form for years though, way before Polaris was even a gleam in D3's eye.  In fact I'm pretty sure she was released shortly after Thor, which made that comparison even more jarring.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    I fought ultron 2 times today... and I'm sending an official request to all mpq players to use him on pvp. 
    Thanks for your kind help.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Who are his top partners beside BRB?
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polaris and kitty is what I see.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bad said:
    I fought ultron 2 times today... and I'm sending an official request to all mpq players to use him on pvp. 

Yep, he just sits there and does nothing.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Carol existed in that weird underpowered complicated form for years though, way before Polaris was even a gleam in D3's eye.  In fact I'm pretty sure she was released shortly after Thor, which made that comparison even more jarring.
    Thor would have been out for a good while I think, since he came out to support Ragnarok and she was released for her film. I’d have to check the dates. But also yes, she was in the dust bin at launch until Polaris came out, and then her nerf showed up maybe a month and a half after that.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2022
    Bad said:
    I was trying out different teams in Phoenix pvp and I eventually settled on Ultron and BB as her partners. 

Ultron was surprisingly useful, Bec his passive in buffing strike tiles can slowly accumulate and eventually become super big strike tiles. My Ultron at level 569 is generating a 2519 strike tile every turn (if one is already on the board). For most of my games, my strike tiles were 10k, bec the games were long. I think the fact that Phoenix is a red generator also helps, bec Ultron is relatively cheap. I often will use Phoenix red first because it hits harder, but switched to Ultron red for subsequent hits (no generation of black attack tiles for enemies).

BB actually just sits there mainly doing his passive damage, which double dip on the strike tiles. 
    While this team may not be great on defence, it’s actually a serviceable team on offence, at least for this week boost list. 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,895 Chairperson of the Boards
    atomzed said:
    Bad said:
    I was trying out different teams in Phoenix pvp and I eventually settled on Ultron and BB as her partners. 

Ultron was surprisingly useful, Bec his passive in buffing strike tiles can slowly accumulate and eventually become super big strike tiles. My Ultron at level 569 is generating a 2519 strike tile every turn (if one is already on the board). For most of my games, my strike tiles were 10k, bec the games were long. I think the fact that Phoenix is a red generator also helps, bec Ultron is relatively cheap. I often will use Phoenix red first because it hits harder, but switched to Ultron red for subsequent hits (no generation of black attack tiles for enemies).

BB actually just sits there mainly doing his passive damage, which double dip on the strike tiles. 
    While this team may not be great on defence, it’s actually a serviceable team on offence, at least for this week boost list. 
    My team was similar. Phoenix/Ultron/Archangel. 

Did the same as you. Fire Jean red if there were less than 5 specials, fire Ultron red if more. Stun on two colors was clutch. When I got down to one character, those strikes can get really high while the opponent is incapacitated.  Hit 1200 and out in one run. 
    I switched Jean’s build to 5 green and never once used a healthpack on her. She’s pretty great boosted. 
    I’m pretty sure Ultron will see the bench for the rest of his boost week since he’s lacking special tile creators and won’t have the Jean battery to fuel him along. But he was great for this PVP. 
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    atomzed said:
    Bad said:

My team was similar. Phoenix/Ultron/Archangel. 

Did the same as you. Fire Jean red if there were less than 5 specials, fire Ultron red if more. Stun on two colors was clutch. When I got down to one character, those strikes can get really high while the opponent is incapacitated.  Hit 1200 and out in one run. 
    I switched Jean’s build to 5 green and never once used a healthpack on her. She’s pretty great boosted. 
    I’m pretty sure Ultron will see the bench for the rest of his boost week since he’s lacking special tile creators and won’t have the Jean battery to fuel him along. But he was great for this PVP. 
    Yeah I have a similar experience with you. My Phoenix was 5 green, and boy it feels good not to worry about health packs for her. I could get her to tank more attacks. 
    As you said, AA has an additional stun and provides 3 active specials that deals damage. I only choose BB Bec of his passive which can double dip on the major strike tiles, but AA is equally viable. 
    What I learn from this pvp is that with the right team, a mediocre 5* can still be meta team for that week of god-boost. This really gives me confidence of my “champ em all” approach, even though they may be seen as duds on first glance. 
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Need to buff Black Bolt next just like Jean was! Both being boosted my Black Bolt is only 5 levels less.
    Jean - 205k health & green matches 2659 damage.
    Bolt - 136k health & green matches do 1650 damage.
    (Green is strongest color for both)

C'mon D3 get going on those buffs!
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thor would have been out for a good while I think, since he came out to support Ragnarok and she was released for her film. I’d have to check the dates. But also yes, she was in the dust bin at launch until Polaris came out, and then her nerf showed up maybe a month and a half after that.

Thor - November 2017
    Captain Marvel - February 2019
    Polaris - August 2020
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    I wish C5rols red didn't make red strikes, make them any colour, or convert TUPs or something. The enemy kept  matching away the repeater tile before it fired once in my experience of playing her yesterday.

Or it would get destroyed in a cascade. 
  • HoundofShadow
    Sersi might work well with because she buffs and fortifies special tiles in targeted colour. 
  • HoundofShadow
    I used Ultron with BRB for the past 2 pvps and despite the negativity against him, I rarely got hit while climbing to 1200. I got hit twice after I shielded and got hit once before I shielded in total. On top of that, he helped me to reduce damage greatly while climbing. I thought I was going to get hit hard by Archangel and he ended up dealing 1 damage. Phew!
  • Captain_Trips88
    Captain_Trips88 Posts: 264 Mover and Shaker
    There is something remarkably satisfying in using Black Bolt to down all three opponents in the challenge node using his quasi scream when they all have 60k ish health left 
  • mdreyer93
    mdreyer93 Posts: 144 Tile Toppler
    I used Ultron with BRB for the past 2 pvps and despite the negativity against him, I rarely got hit while climbing to 1200. I got hit twice after I shielded and got hit once before I shielded in total. On top of that, he helped me to reduce damage greatly while climbing. I thought I was going to get hit hard by Archangel and he ended up dealing 1 damage. Phew!
    I had the same experience in Brand's pvp. I've been pleasantly surprised with boosted Ultron. His specials can get pretty beefy
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm an ultron convert. I still need one cover and thought he was impressive boosted in pvp. Glad I was forced into getting him now!