More 5* help please

Speed283
Speed283 Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
Thor Gladiator is in offer store. I don’t have him. Is it worth $40 to get the shards to roster him? (Get some Valkyrie to go with him)
 This is the first time I’ve seen an opportunity to roster him.
 Thanks again in advance

Comments

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    So it is your money. I’m not going to tell you how to spend it.  Thor is meta, as is Valkyrie, and has a feeder in Valkyrie so there aren’t many other stores that will have better characters. One Thor cover won’t change your roster and you probably won’t use him until he comes along in a 5* Token offer and break a hoard to get him to at least 5/x/x.
  • Speed283
    Would it be good just to get my foot in the door?
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    Speed283 said:
    Thor Gladiator is in offer store. I don’t have him. Is it worth $40 to get the shards to roster him? (Get some Valkyrie to go with him)
     This is the first time I’ve seen an opportunity to roster him.
     Thanks again in advance

Judging from the prices in £, D3 are trying to push LL tokens or 500 shards of a 5star at £5 each.  

Maybe that helps you make your decision.  

We don't know the rest of your roster, would he be your first 5star cover?  

If so, skip. He needs more than 1 cover to be usable, or better than a small champed 4star in terms of strength. 
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2022
    Speed283 said:
    Would it be good just to get my foot in the door?
    So I know some in my alliance buy all of these. Since this game is a marathon it doesn’t matter if you don’t use it for months and it will be champed eventually anyways. 
    For myself, I don’t buy any of these. Not the character offers though I do VIP since I play so much.  Or I think I bought  the initial Spider-Man offer for like $4. Since this game is a marathon it doesn’t matter if I have one cover for a toon I can get through champion rewards and patience anyways. Though, to be fair, I did consider buying this one but managed to talk myself out of it. 
    See what I did there. Both options are viable, unless you cannot afford it then stick to F2P. You will champ everything eventually  it will just take longer if you don’t spend money. There isn’t a new game mode if you have all the meta 5*s champed. You are essentially paying real cash to play the game less. 
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,806 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you're asking if Thor is a good/useful character, yes he is.

If you're asking if these types of offers (5* character shards plus LTs for $40) are a good deal, *compared to other things this game sells*, the answer is yes.

If you're asking whether you should spend $40 on this game, you are the only one who can answer that.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    I’ve never used him nor see his value , he’s an easy KO on defense because he does nothing useful until he falls below 50% and by then he can be punched out with most powers 
  • Speed283
    Upcoming 5*…are any worth the full reception ? Thanks for your opinions
  • Speed283
    I, unfortunately saw the light as Thor being early beatable . Other than my roster he is to remain there
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    The purpose of Thor is to be a battery. So, 5/x/x is the first goal and he's one of the best battery in the game: 5 free aps every turn isn't something achievable easily by other characters. On the other hand, Thor is a glass cannon, easily shattered. He excels in pves though. 

All the four latest 5* are categorised under non-meta, fun or puzzly. If you want to pull for meta, they are likely to appear around April to June. Whether you want to go in for them depends on the kind of playstyles you are using.
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,529 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thor5 was a gamechanger for me: before I champed him, I played PVE in SCL 8 as I struggled in 9, with a champed Thor5 I started in SCL 10 and never looked back (my Okoye was already champed).
    Combined with an injured DD5, later Apoc and now Shang-Chi (or 5trange for goons), PVE has become a breeze.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    Vhailorx said:
    I’ve never used him nor see history value , he’s an easy KO on defense because he does nothing useful until he falls below 50% and by then he can be punched out with most powers 

If you don't see the value of +1.67 r/y/g ap every turn, plus board shake, then I am not sure we will see eye to eye on a lot of things in MPQ.
    IMO Thor is, like SC, the best kind of meta character in that he is pleasure to have on your team, but also not too much of a problem to face.
    OP, you should not roster thor for the sake of rostering him. A one cover Thor should not be leveled and will just take up space for a LONG time. But if you do want to build an endgame roster and are willing to spend money on this game, then there are few better ways to spend it than on a Thor + valk direct buy offer. You can't get to a usable Thor (i.e. 5/x/x) without having a first cover at some point
    I just don’t see the point of using any character below 50% to be effective, nor would I waste time knocking him down to that level just so I could use him . I faced a 565 Thor5 in Gamora’s 5E today and he got KOed before firing a power active or passive. So I’ll pass on someone who is useless defensively and only useful offensively if already half damaged . There are a lot better 5* to chase.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    To each their own. I’m currently one cover (or 15 Valk covers) away from finishing a dupe (and no my main is nowhere near 550). So I get to do the dance twice if I really want to lol.

The 450 will be purely battery used with Apoc in PVE (with a yellow support). The slightly higher (458) will be used in both PVE and PVP probably with Shang (with a support to generate red). 

Everytime I reverse heal I do the +15 match damage boosts just so I can chip away at that milestone. Two birds and all that. 
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,806 Chairperson of the Boards
    "To each their own" is something I wish the devs would take to heart a bit more.  Comic book fans are a diverse bunch who have their own favorites/least favorites/irrational grudges/whatever.  The game itself is now deep enough, with enough characters, that there should be a whole range of viable options and playstyles available to players who want to compete.

If I irrationally hate Thor the character because of some obscure choice an inker made in the 70s, I should be able to win stuff with Iron Man instead.  If I hate the Thor playstyle, the game should give me some alternative team with another guy who's just as good in a different style.
  • Speed283
    Any opinions on the new 5* Electra? Is it worth 25  CP for each  pull in an attempt to get her?