Week 35 - Archangel, Black Bolt, Captain Marvel, Ultron

Sekilicious
Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
edited January 2022 in MPQ General Discussion
My second time having a boosted fully covered 5*! Too bad I don't have Ultron champed yet. I expect Archangel will dominate though maybe there will be a few Ultron with BRB or Knull teams. The list on the What's New MPQ thread has Captain Marvel incorrectly identified as Captain America (boosted last week).

4*s are Blade (Modern), Elektra (Unkillable), Mantis, Riri Williams, and War Machine. Mantis, Riri and Blade are interesting here. Boosted Mantis might even slow down the Polaris machine (lol). 

Comments

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,379 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mantis is probably the best boost on the list. I’m using her with ultron with great success. Also she works great in the PvP v kailicus or whatever his name is.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,807 Chairperson of the Boards
    Archangel always ends up seeing use because 5* stunners are so rare and so strong against all the passives at that tier.
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Archangel always ends up seeing use because 5* stunners are so rare and so strong against all the passives at that tier.
    He's got a ton of health, too.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    Archangel/Ultron is not a bad one to throw out defensively in PVP.  That's a fair amount of health.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    A 533 Ultron could be useful with the right teammates I’m going to test him.
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    Out of those 4, I have Ultron and C5rol champed. Gonna be a good week :D 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just Danver5 and Bolt for me. Maybe this will be the week I figure out something to do with post nerf Danver5?
  • Srheer0
    @ThaRoadWarrior

Have you tried using her with C4rnage or c5rnage? You almost always have enemy special tiles on the board to destroy.

Colossus can also make some with his black active.  

Bolt and Shang Chi could be a fun combination. Bolt can make charged tiles, Shang can make charged tiles and  they help tank other colours. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    She wants friendly tiles though to do maximum board shake. So she's really tied to Polaris if you want to get there quickly. Though carbage would be able to turn any destroyed enemy tiles into friendlies, he has effectively full overlap with the powers of hers you're going to use. Honestly I think Carbage/Bolt might be more fun since you get the second-turn to help you accrue random AP colors for Quasi Sonic
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lots of Ultron's out there. Lots got him champed and run him out there with BRB. A bit more surprising maybe is there are quite a few champed Jean's out there too. Ultron, Jean, BRB are a pretty formidable team when two are boosted. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I'm really curious to face down some Ultrons, I've yet to really see him get used in anger in PVP. I'm not that surprised there are Jeans in the wild; she's a popular character with a feeder who has been around for a good long time in the game.
  • Srheer0
    She wants friendly tiles though to do maximum board shake. So she's really tied to Polaris if you want to get there quickly. Though carbage would be able to turn any destroyed enemy tiles into friendlies, he has effectively full overlap with the powers of hers you're going to use. Honestly I think Carbage/Bolt might be more fun since you get the second-turn to help you accrue random AP colors for Quasi Sonic

I re-read her green. Think I was using the pre-nerfed green in my head. I swear it used to fire like Wiccan's green. Or maybe I am just confusing it with Wiccans green fullstop.  :(

If my Bolt had more covers I would want to see how Bolt, Shang Chi and throg would work out
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Srheer0 said:

I re-read her green. Think I was using the pre-nerfed green in my head. I swear it used to fire like Wiccan's green. Or maybe I am just confusing it with Wiccans green fullstop.  :(

If my Bolt had more covers I would want to see how Bolt, Shang Chi and throg would work out
    Throg could help enemy Archangel, for sure! 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited January 2022
    Srheer0 said:

No, the pre-nerf green would clear a line, then for every friendly tile on that line it would clear that many more lines up to the rest of the board, inclusive of friendly specials. That's why she worked so well with Polaris at the time. Now she does all that without clearing the friendly specials, which there surely must be some use for somehow (that doesn't involve rampant yellow AP gain from her in-place passive or flooding the board via polaris).
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,904 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2022

No, the pre-nerf green would clear a line, then for every friendly tile on that line it would clear that many more lines up to the rest of the board, inclusive of friendly specials. That's why she worked so well with Polaris at the time. Now she does all that without clearing the friendly specials, which there surely must be some use for somehow (that doesn't involve rampant yellow AP gain from her in-place passive or flooding the board via polaris).
    Not every team that has her on it is using Polaris to regenerate the special tiles. As I said, that's just a nice corner case players found out was to their advantage.
    If you used her with Knull or Electro or pretty much any special tile generator other than Polaris/BRB, you are much happier with this change because she doesn't remove their special tiles when doing her multiple row destruction.
    KGB
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited January 2022
    Takes all kinds, but her passive yellow generation wants you to destroy strikes in a way other than a standard match. Tying her to Polaris now uses her friendly strikes to trigger more chances to blast the opponent strikes and flood the board even more quickly. I’m not running her like that, I’m actually running her with boosted War Machine, whose attack dropping CD I always found a novel mechanic. 
  • entrailbucket
    I couldn't figure out what you were talking about...I looked up her passive and seriously, what even is that?  She makes yellow AP for any strike tiles "destroyed by any means other than a match?"

What an absolutely bizarre, utterly useless ability!  What is that supposed to do?  That might be the worst passive in the game.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited January 2022
    Her green, back when it destroyed the strikes she (eventually) makes on her red, is supposed to fuel her yellow. I’ve long been looking for a way to exploit it to do…something. But Hood is the only character with a significant yellow board destruction power and it has a hard-stop on the turn so it’s of limited use. When her green was nerfed, the left the passive in place and it just hangs a hat on how sad the whole thing is now lol.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited January 2022
    The nearest thing I could find to a circular team was using Okoye/Valkyrie/Danver5 and leaning on Bounty Hunter to accrue red, then Okoye’s red to clear strikes, and the subsequent yellow to fuel Indomitable Spirit. It was okay, but nothing to write home about. There may be some way to use 4* Doc Ock to generate AP rampantly now though, I’ll have to play with that some.
  • entrailbucket
    I'm not sure which party would/should be insulted by this more, but I bet you've spent more time thinking about that ability than whoever created it.

It's just ridiculously narrow for something that limited in value.  Why not make a character who generates 1 red AP every time a T-shaped match-5 includes a friendly purple attack tile?