***** Abigail Brand (Commander of S.W.O.R.D.) *****

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2022
    Glockoma said:
    Glockoma said:
    In the land of passives, AP destruction is not king. 
    It's pretty funny because Gambit's AP destruction power was so oppressive in his day that he completely took over the game and ended up getting a huge nerf.  Now that power isn't even playable (pre-nerf Gambit would be trash tier in today's meta).
    So so true. Those were tough sledding days with my one champ Phoenix.

Well, gambit was just as dominant BEFORE he had any ap suppression.  +6 ap per round is incredibly awesome (c.f. halfthor). And the fact that he blocked any other red/purple was not an obstacle because his abilities were good enough, providing solid defense and decently efficient offense. 
    I have thought frequently about how viable original Gambit would be if they just rolled back his nerf. I think he would remain very strong, but I don't think he would be mandatory for elder game content the way he was back in the day.
    Turning to this new 5*, the kit strikes me as one that's very contingent on internal synergy and will be hard to judge on paper; we just don't know how well they will work together. But overall, I am dubious of drain strong Color powers (as opposed to gain a targeted color), so my expectations are not terribly high.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm surprised that the reactions to this character seem to be more positive, given that it has only one power that deals low damage for 8 purple aps. 

I must be missing something with this character.
  • Pantera236
    Pantera236 Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    Srheer0 said:
    You are right. D'oh.  

Still interested. A few select characters do like having AP in their strongest colour (brb green etc). 
    Apoc's black, yeah could get annoying 🤷‍♂️
  • Blackstone
    Blackstone Posts: 595 Critical Contributor
    I'm surprised that the reactions to this character seem to be more positive, given that it has only one power that deals low damage for 8 purple aps. 

I must be missing something with this character.
    Personally, I'm fully prepared for the near inevitability that this character won't be usable beyond certain niche teams.

But I'm actively trying to find reasons to look forward to new characters.
  • TriSentinel
    TriSentinel Posts: 134 Tile Toppler
    Yeah, this is totally Hank Pym, but whether it's Goliath, Wasp, Yellowjacket, Ant-man, or Giant-man remains to be seen. Would be weird if we had two five star Wasps or Yellowjacket so I'm hoping for Goliath or Giant-man.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, I guess they have to release bad 5*s every now and then so the other ones look good. Ha!

AP drain and health bursts could be very defensive if the numbers are high enough, like draining 4+ AP per proc or bursting for 4K per proc. The attack tile spamming could be useful if it creates 4+ per proc. Kitty would be a good partner for all powers. Combo with Wanda for annoying passive defense.

But most likely the numbers will be in the 3’s, making this a mediocre character even with Kitty or Wanda. 
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,802 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2022
    If, like me, you have no idea who this person is, I highly recommend mistyping "abigail band" into Google and checking out "The Most Evil Band in Japan." Best typo ever!
  • Hellblazer666
    Hellblazer666 Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Never heard of Abigail Brand so this release does nothing for me
  • Venomous
    Venomous Posts: 222 Tile Toppler
    Ok. I am super happy it's her over Ant-Man. She has always been a great character specifically since she is getting more love in her Sword run. Pleasant surprise. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    OH snap, i just realized that her yellow will push a repeater counter down. Really interested in trying her out with Ronan.
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,013 Chairperson of the Boards
    Her yellow is a 2-turn CD? Come on man….. 
  • entrailbucket
    She's pretty bad. 

You can incorporate her into a bunch of countdown combo teams, and she'll make them better.  But nobody is really using those characters right now and they're generally not that good, compared to other stuff you could be doing. 

In a non-countdown-based-team, she's one of the very worst 5*.
  • Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    She's pretty bad. 

You can incorporate her into a bunch of countdown combo teams, and she'll make them better.  But nobody is really using those characters right now and they're generally not that good, compared to other stuff you could be doing. 

Apoc is Top tier. Throw in iceman and that could be a hard hitting, healing team for those long scl10 battles
  • SaltnPeppa
    SaltnPeppa Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    Please use this cover, not the one with Beast.  Her head looks disproportionate there.   Badly drawn.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Omegased said:
    She's pretty bad. 

Apoc is Top tier. Throw in iceman and that could be a hard hitting, healing team for those long scl10 battles
    SCL10 battles aren't that long with Shang-Chi in the picture though. 
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2022
    I think she’s trash. Best case scenario: Abigail does team burst healing for 6K each turn, if you devote your effort to making CD tiles and Repeaters. That’s not a good payoff. 

Her powers to drain AP and put down attack tiles are way too slow. 
  • morgh
    morgh Posts: 539 Critical Contributor
    This is a horribly designed character and actually makes me ask the question whether the game designers/developers are playing their own game (on the level where you actually want stuff to be useful - like CL10 and PvP at 1000+ ranking).
    It's a character that I'll be getting a single cover of and hoping to avoid any more because it will only be a waste and taking away from other characters that 1) are not so bland and 2) are actually well designed. No chance she will ever get the ISO to be champed anyway...
    Seriously - there's a 4* dock ock that actually is useful and interesting and then this? Oh come on...
  • entrailbucket
    Omegased said:
    She's pretty bad. 

SCL10 battles aren't that long with Shang-Chi in the picture though. 
    Right, exactly...and if you're just gonna use Apocalypse anyway there are about 20 other characters who work better with him than Abigail.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2022
    They finally released the 2022 version of Sighclops. Now for her meta changing partner in 6 short months. 

Should we get the ball rolling by calling her Abby Bland?
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,516 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have largely ignored many of the CD and Repeater tile spammers, so I'll admit there might be something out there I'm not seeing...
    But when I said the numbers would be important, these were NOT the numbers I was looking for.
    Feels DOA.