Grand Experiment 2: Treading Water in the SCL 10 Post-Shardpocalypse

Comments

• Zalasta
    Zalasta Posts: 264 Mover and Shaker
    RW - you only using LTs or also CP for LL?   I've transitioned to using everything in LL to try to cover the new 5 stars.

Ultron @ 5/3/4 with 257 shards (favorite)  Should be close to championing at the close of this event.
    Gamora @ 3/5/3 with 50 shards
    Sersi @ 2/4/4 with 174 shards
    Big Wheel @ 1/0/0 with 400 shards

I was hoping to get back to using CP for classics, but I'm not sure it's going to happen.

Once Ultron is champed, debating on how badly to chase Gamora & Sersi since neither is likely to get much use. Being so close to finishing them, it might just be worth it to try to finish them off. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    You might as well wait for their feeders since you are close to 11 covers and you're not going to use them. Depending on how and where you play, it's easily two 5* covers from new 4* feeders for me.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    You might as well wait for their feeders since you are close to 11 covers and you're not going to use them. Depending on how and where you play, it's easily two 5* covers from new 4* feeders for me.
    Waiting on feeders seems like a risky proposition given the wildly erratic feeder rollout we've been seeing ever since last year's Great CAtch Up event.

@Zalasta I'm all-in on Latest at the moment with CP and LTs trying to get caught up on Ultron. This happens to me sometimes, where the 2nd out has a rally and gets done first. I'll likely be pulling for Ultron right up to the bell when Big Wheel lands, so we'll see what my Classic pulling strategy does or doesn't look like at that point. I think it's a safe assumption that Gamora will get covered though.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's risky in the sense that the timeframe is unknown, but it will happen one day. If you aren't going to use that character after champing them, then this risk is minor. You might as well spend your iso-8 or shards on those that you want to use.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2022
    If someone is worried about missing out if splitting between classics and LL make sure that you have at least 260-280 pulls before pulling from classics. If you track how many pulls per month you acquire you can estimate how many pulls you will get before each character rotates. This is assuming you play at SCL10 of course. Otherwise 300 is the recommended number of pulls. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    The question on the table for this experiment is what kind of shape your roster needs to be in to support spending all CP in classic while still keeping up with latest. I'm not sure i've answered that question, because I've been unwilling to commit to having a Latest drop out wildly under-covered so far. Based on my performance chasing Ultron, I'm fairly confident that I'm not quite there yet though.
  • dramatist
    dramatist Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    I’m pretty sure I’m not there yet either. I stopped opening Latests after getting one Sersi cover. I’ve been using cp on Classics with Sersi sharded with 858 shards. Right now I only have 28 Latests saved up to pull when Big Wheel enters. I feel pretty good about being able to finish Gamora who’s 3,2,3 with 500+ shards but I imagine I’ll have to start using cp on Latests after Gamora rotates out to finish Sersi. 

I like pulling Classics because the 20% discount is significant. Most of my 4*s are above 330 so they give out pretty good rewards but there are so many new 4*s that are lower in rewards and I get plenty of covers for those 4*s too. 
    I have 13 classic 5*s that are not champed yet but the only cover for one of those that I drew from a classic this month was a saved cover for Banner Hulk. 
    Right now I have 4* Beast sharded and at 324 because I like Apocalypse champ levels. 
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,802 Chairperson of the Boards
    dramatist said:
    I’m pretty sure I’m not there yet either. I stopped opening Latests after getting one Sersi cover. I’ve been using cp on Classics with Sersi sharded with 858 shards. Right now I only have 28 Latests saved up to pull when Big Wheel enters. I feel pretty good about being able to finish Gamora who’s 3,2,3 with 500+ shards but I imagine I’ll have to start using cp on Latests after Gamora rotates out to finish Sersi. 

I like pulling Classics because the 20% discount is significant. Most of my 4*s are above 330 so they give out pretty good rewards but there are so many new 4*s that are lower in rewards and I get plenty of covers for those 4*s too. 
    I have 13 classic 5*s that are not champed yet but the only cover for one of those that I drew from a classic this month was a saved cover for Banner Hulk. 
    Right now I have 4* Beast sharded and at 324 because I like Apocalypse champ levels. 
    Sersi won't rotate out for quite a while...you might be ok.  You'll finish Gamora for sure. 

I wonder how much further ahead you are on 4* compared to Roadwarrior?  It sounds like you're ahead of him there?

We might be getting closer to figuring out whatever the formula is.  I always suspected it was about 4*!
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    That’s around where I am - I have 10 classics left to go, with Panther just 15 pulls from done, but Ultron is very likely going into classic needing a bunch of covers at this rate.
  • entrailbucket
    I still contend that there's some point between where you're at now and the (objectively dumb) place I'm at where it works. 

Based on what I've seen from you and from the (totally unexpected but welcome!) influx of other classic pullers, I think it's way closer to your roster than it is to mine.

For reference, as of today I have Ultron at lvl452, Gamora 3/2/3, and Sersi 2/2/2, with 490 Big Wheel shards.  I haven't put any CP into latest in a long time.  I know I had to switch over for Yelena, but that might have been the last time.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    This feels like it should be true; it’s not like I’m pulling so many 5s out of Classic that they make the difference so I’m wondering if it was that I hadn’t been favoriting Next Out all that time. 
  • dramatist
    dramatist Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    This feels like it should be true; it’s not like I’m pulling so many 5s out of Classic that they make the difference so I’m wondering if it was that I hadn’t been favoriting Next Out all that time. 
    That’s the thing I didn’t do first time I switched to classics. Now I’m trying by sharding Sersi to help acquire covers. In time we shall see how it went. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited January 2022
    I'm really debating internally how to play it with Ultron. I mean truly committing to the bit means being fine with him falling out, and just making it back up over aeons of classic pulls organically, right? I just don't like having unfed 5s in Classic. I am fairly sure I could complete Gamora via favoriting at this point, she has 10 total covers inclusive of shards, and Ultron seems like a bit of a dud so losing out to him is probably not the worst thing that could happen. I just don't want to miss out on Big Wheel, who I think is comedy gold. Though at this point, I only have what, 2 more weeks of Ultron to try and score 4.5 covers? Seems like a tall order, my guess is i may land 2 more and have him drop out at 10.
  • entrailbucket
    I'm really debating internally how to play it with Ultron. I mean truly committing to the bit means being fine with him falling out, and just making it back up over aeons of classic pulls organically, right? I just don't like having unfed 5s in Classic. I am fairly sure I could complete Gamora via favoriting at this point, she has 10 total covers inclusive of shards, and Ultron seems like a bit of a dud so losing out to him is probably not the worst thing that could happen. I just don't want to miss out on Big Wheel, who I think is comedy gold. Though at this point, I only have what, 2 more weeks of Ultron to try and score 4.5 covers? Seems like a tall order, my guess is i may land 2 more and have him drop out at 10.
    RNG is RNG, so it's possible you could pull 4 covers in 2 days and it's possible you'd get none at all for 2 weeks.

I think fully commiting to this bit is a pretty crazy decision that almost nobody would make.  I did it because my long-term goal has always been "everyone to 550!" and this is the only way that goal is chase-able (not reachable, I'm not *that* crazy) without spending $200,000. 

What's your long-term goal?  What does it have to say about Ultron?
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,158 Chairperson of the Boards
     Though at this point, I only have what, 2 more weeks of Ultron to try and score 4.5 covers? Seems like a tall order, my guess is i may land 2 more and have him drop out at 10.
    Mate, Ultron leaves this coming Monday 10 Jan.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Argh. All my Ultron related plans Will be for naught! Oh well, he'll get there eventually. 

In other news, pulled a yellow for Sersi, now 0/1/1.
  • Zalasta
    Zalasta Posts: 264 Mover and Shaker
    With Ultron set as favorite, I need 7 more pulls to have enough shards to be able to champ him, so I'll now wait until he rotates out so I don't pull him from the current vault.  Then it's hope for the best to complete Gamora, Sersi, & BW.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Black Panther is champed, I set Ultron back to my 5* fav. Pulled a black for Gamora too. Ended up with a progression shard champ level for Onslaught out of Simulator too.  I’d love at least one more Ultron before he falls in the Abyss, but we’ll see what happens.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Pulled a blue Ultron, wonder if I’ll get anymore before Monday?
  • entrailbucket
    RNG gonna RNG