Festival of Fights

Comments

• hothie
    hothie Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    Shang Chi ruled this event for me, and mine is only at 7 covers. There were several instances against champed 5*s where I was able to win on turn 1. Being only 1 character, and with as quickly as SC can win, I used very few health packs, climbed to 1200 I think for the first or possibly 2nd time, on 50 wins and only 2 shields. The matches were very quick, which was nice.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    Loved this event even though attacks when unshielded were off the charts even if for a few minutes .  90% Ghostpool and 10% Apoc went 75-4. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's good to see where 4* land is like and Polaris is not being used here. Thanks everyone for your feedbacks.

I'm surprised I saw zero Wanda. Zero Okoye and Kitty too.

I used SC and Apocalypse to climb. Apocalypse deals with Colossus and SC the rest.

Apocalypse and SC lost once each due to match-5 cascades into their strongest colour and it was over quickly. I lost only 1-4 points each so it's not a big deal.

This year, Colossus and SC are the top. I was close to 1200 points and I rotated at least 10 times and it was just these two. After I crossed 1200 points, more opponents got unlocked and Apocalypse is back.

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    I didn't even try wanda. It would be a festival of health packs using her as she doesn't have any active besides her hex, she is really bad alone hoping the enemy making cascades and not destroying her repeater. 
    Kitty it's the same, collect red/yellow AP and wait a lot of turns. 
    And okoye would had a rough time collecting red/yellow and trying to down the enemy almost on match damage.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    I saw Okoye but no Kitty or Wanda.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2021
    After I hit 1200 I saw 1 Dr. Strange and 1 Sighclops. I assumed they were grills. Both were worth 75pts. 
  • Ares76
    Ares76 Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    I still don't get it why they omitted TU-tiles in this PvP. Can't be due to Okoye's and Onslaught's powers. They would take too much time to down an enemy even if TU's existed. 

Since there were only 6 colors the matches were more about lucky cascades than strategy. 
    I won matches with Shang-Chi and Professor X very fast but I also lost matches against those two toons very fast because they had the cascades. 

My no. 1 hopper this event was Shang-Chi followed by Apocalypse. I barely made Top 10 with ca. 1800 points which only would grant me Top 25 in an normal PvP with three vs. three. 

I like this one vs. one format but once a year is enough - just to see how the new 5-stars can compete in this PvP.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    I suspect they remove TU tiles  since we are not allowed to use TU. So instead of confusing people (why can’t I select TU?), they decided to remove it entirely…? Just a guess
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    bbigler said:
    Invisibility is just as good as stun in this event. They should have banned both. 

Actually I was quite happy to hunt down YJ as Apocalypse can kill him pretty easily with his black. I think I only had one match where I was struggling to get the AP I needed. That said I can see why he was a popular choice.
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    DAZ0273 said:
    bbigler said:
    Invisibility is just as good as stun in this event. They should have banned both. 

Actually I was quite happy to hunt down YJ as Apocalypse can kill him pretty easily with his black. I think I only had one match where I was struggling to get the AP I needed. That said I can see why he was a popular choice.
    Agreed. Additionally, you can gain AP and use powers even if the entire opposing team is invisible.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2021
    There are at least a few characters who need TU in the bank for standard powers, some can create them and some can’t. Stinks for people who really like Coulson, Okoye, 5* Panther, 4* Cyclops, etc, but that’s a small number of players I’m sure.
  • Sekilicious
    edited December 2021
    I wonder who the best 1v1 character is in 3* land. I imagine IM40 would be op without the self stun. Would Wolverine and IF challenge him at all? Strange would at least force health packs. 
  • hothie
    hothie Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    I wonder who the best 1v1 character is in 3* land. I imagine IM40 would be op without the self stun. Would Wolverine and IF challenge him at all?

For my money it's Spidey,

Cheap stun, that with a few web tiles turns into a 3-turn stun for 5ap. That's huge for becoming a possible stun-lock.
    Passive shields on a purple match
    Yellow nuke power, especially if teammates are downed.

So he has the combination of offense, defense, and control, which to me makes him the best 3* character in the game today.

Now, in this format, stuns aren't allowed. So I gotta say Wolverine's red insta-win makes him the best 3* for this format.
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    I wonder who the best 1v1 character is in 3* land. I imagine IM40 would be op without the self stun. Would Wolverine and IF challenge him at all? Strange would at least force health packs. 
    3* Iron Man can't stun himself in Festival of Fights, right? So his yellow power is a battery with no flaws.
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,379 Chairperson of the Boards
    In 3* land I would bet the best 1v1 3s would be IF or Luke Cage.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2021
    Didn't enjoy the event because I'm not keen on events where I get cascaded to death through bad rng, like the evergreen event. I don't mind playing them every few months as others like them but I think they are pretty poor to play. Of course other events this can happen but nothing like as often as those two events. 

But I do like playing with one 5* and think pick 2 and 3 would be much better if you could only pick one. Use the 4* to come up with teams, especially as they have made so many of them. 
  • Sekilicious
    As I look at the rosters of all these &@$!%* who use their 480 Kitty and BRB in every other PvP ( I’ve yet to see one Kitty and BRB is a quick victory) I’d like to see a PvP where you are 1 on 1 with ONLY your highest character useable. 
    I just fully covered BRB and was wondering whom I should champ first between him and Apocalypse. This comment sealed it and BRB it is. Feel free to send me angry PM’s every time you skip me. Or bring Morbius or Mantis and kick my sorry tinykitty. 
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,805 Chairperson of the Boards
    As I look at the rosters of all these &@$!%* who use their 480 Kitty and BRB in every other PvP ( I’ve yet to see one Kitty and BRB is a quick victory) I’d like to see a PvP where you are 1 on 1 with ONLY your highest character useable. 
    I just fully covered BRB and was wondering whom I should champ first between him and Apocalypse. This comment sealed it and BRB it is. Feel free to send me angry PM’s every time you skip me. Or bring Morbius or Mantis and kick my sorry tinykitty. 
    I don't see Kitty/Beta Ray Bill at all anymore (and I used to see it a lot!).  I'm not sure why. 

My guess is that people used to use it as a "float team" to deter hits, and now they just run SW Colossus for that because it's as good defensively but can win matches on offense in less than half an hour.
  • Sekilicious
    edited December 2021
    I don't see Kitty/Beta Ray Bill at all anymore (and I used to see it a lot!).  I'm not sure why. 

My guess is that people used to use it as a "float team" to deter hits, and now they just run SW Colossus for that because it's as good defensively but can win matches on offense in less than half an hour.
    At my MMR of baby champed 5*s I see a lot of BRB and Polaris. I used to think it was intended as a counter to the Wanda meta, since Polaris has an insanely great stun. But I haven’t seen Wanda or Colossus much as of yet. Probably because I have too few points? Or maybe my MMR doesn’t realize I have four 5*s champed now. Or perhaps it is taking pity on me for my fully covered, soon to be champed Ultron. MMR is determined by that guy in the janitor’s closet, correct?
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    I still see brolaris teams here and there. Of course it's like giving 40 points for free.
    Britty teams are on SIM quite a lot. I don't remember losing to a britty team in almost 2 years.
    Perhaps it could be because I'm already too advanced for to have any issue with those teams. 
    Truth is that since wanda was released I never run out of health packs anymore.