*** Thor (Modern) ***

Comments

• Thor worked great for me when he was a 2 star. Rocked OBW/Thor/M. Storm like everyone else. Felt invincible. Thing is, now that I have a 3 star roster, I just can't find a home for him. In a world where you have Spider-Man, Mags, etc. it's just sooooooo hard to get to 12 yellow icon_e_sad.gif If anyone has any viable team-ups with him I'm all ears. As is stands I feel he is similar to Black Panther. Everyone thought he was OP NERF at first but I think they both end up somewhere in between the middle and the top.

Try something like ragnarok Thor hood.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    ^ Agreed, Hood mitigates damage and helps acquire red/yellow, use Rags' red to get more green and green nuke everyone.
  • locked wrote:
    ^ Agreed, Hood mitigates damage and helps acquire red/yellow, use Rags' red to get more green and green nuke everyone.

+ it's a boat load of hp.
  • Clintman
    Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
    I can't believe I am seeing so much love for Ragnarok, that cat is permanently collecting dust for me. I love the new Thor, he runs really well with Hood and C Mags. The thing with Fathor is that once he starts rolling he is really the only DPS you need, you can spend the other two slots on support characters. I am really using him for overall utility in the same manner I use Punisher.
  • Clint wrote:
    I can't believe I am seeing so much love for Ragnarok, that cat is permanently collecting dust for me. I love the new Thor, he runs really well with Hood and C Mags. The thing with Fathor is that once he starts rolling he is really the only DPS you need, you can spend the other two slots on support characters. I am really using him for overall utility in the same manner I use Punisher.

I have always supported ragnarok. He got hit a little bit harshly with the need but he still has his uses and hopefully will get a 3rd eventually to put him back in the mid-high ranks.

His red does 1k+ damage for only 6ap. It generates like 5 green (don't feel like checkin exacts) and he has a ton of health to chip away.

A lot of the best covers in game are green users. Rag pairs with sooo many people!
    The lazy Thor combo I mentioned above.
    He feeds punisher. He feeds quick green to a 5/3/5 patch.
    You could do rags / storm c / mags c where rags feeds storm knocking down the mid oh guys while storm gathers ap and mags finishes off the big guy.
    He does wonders in lightning round popping 2k reds off into 800 damage board shaking greens.
    Thor / ares / rags leave you a ton of red / green / yellow focus but it's a ton of hp and if 1 dies the ap is never wasted. Someone's always there to smack you.

He's isn't A-list. I'm not that delusional. But if you can't find a use for him you either aren't trying or are still very upset about his nerf.
  • Clintman
    Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
    I suppose he has use if you already have him upgraded and leveled, but there are so many better choices for a 3* toon to spend ISO on. If we had easier ISO generation you could afford to waste ISO on a character with really what amounts one good ability that is only good by supporting an actually useful character.
  • Clint wrote:
    I suppose he has use if you already have him upgraded and leveled, but there are so many better choices for a 3* toon to spend ISO on. If we had easier ISO generation you could afford to waste ISO on a character with really what amounts one good ability that is only good by supporting an actually useful character.

That's a fair point. There's lots if good choices. As a small defense he dies max out at only 115 ATM, which isn't too bad with current ISO rates.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Clint wrote:

I have always supported ragnarok. He got hit a little bit harshly with the need but he still has his uses and hopefully will get a 3rd eventually to put him back in the mid-high ranks.

His red does 1k+ damage for only 6ap. It generates like 5 green (don't feel like checkin exacts) and he has a ton of health to chip away.

A lot of the best covers in game are green users. Rag pairs with sooo many people!
    The lazy Thor combo I mentioned above.
    He feeds punisher. He feeds quick green to a 5/3/5 patch.
    You could do rags / storm c / mags c where rags feeds storm knocking down the mid oh guys while storm gathers ap and mags finishes off the big guy.
    He does wonders in lightning round popping 2k reds off into 800 damage board shaking greens.
    Thor / ares / rags leave you a ton of red / green / yellow focus but it's a ton of hp and if 1 dies the ap is never wasted. Someone's always there to smack you.

He's isn't A-list. I'm not that delusional. But if you can't find a use for him you either aren't trying or are still very upset about his nerf.

Rags just feels too much like an IM40 type of character to me. He has one relevant (but not broken) ability and a ton of hp, but not much else goin for him besides that, placing him at the top of bottom tier / bottom of mid tier. Just doesn't make sense to level him when you have so many characters that can contribute 2+ relevant abilities.
  • LT fell to page 3!? Isn't he supposed to be amazing?

Who should I level to 141 first Lazy Thor or Lazy Cap?
  • LT fell to page 3!? Isn't he supposed to be amazing?

He's so powerful there's really nothing to be said about him other than that he melts faces. He should be prioritized for level 141 over anyone else. He's still more powerful than Captain on offense, and is way stronger on defense (Captain is fairly average on defense due to AI rarely saving up 11 red).
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phantron wrote:
    LT fell to page 3!? Isn't he supposed to be amazing?

He's so powerful there's really nothing to be said about him other than that he melts faces. He should be prioritized for level 141 over anyone else. He's still more powerful than Captain on offense, and is way stronger on defense (Captain is fairly average on defense due to AI rarely saving up 11 red).

agreed, however, I have found minus a crazy cascade, that the Hood completely shuts down L.Thor and L.Cap and any other high casting cost AP characters. In the Army of One, I went against a super Pun/L.Thor 141/L.Cap 125 I knew the AI would cast Judgement over CoTS but Lightning strike was a fear. I just plugged away, not denying any particular color and short of Thor's red, he cast nothing else as the Hood just leeched all the AP away. He would get a yellow match and a few turns later the yellow was gone, I did have an OBW as well, but the Hood easily stole more AP than her, the Hood shuts down high costed AP guys, period, get a Hood as quick as you can
  • NorthernPolarity
    So here's an interesting question. My LazyThor is now 4/4/4 and I'm going to buy a cover to make him either 4/5/4 or 4/4/5. The question is which one do i go? Green seems like the obvious choice, but yellows level 5 adds 2 green tiles which might increase the cascade potential. What do you guys think?
  • So here's an interesting question. My LazyThor is now 4/4/4 and I'm going to buy a cover to make him either 4/5/4 or 4/4/5. The question is which one do i go? Green seems like the obvious choice, but yellows level 5 adds 2 green tiles which might increase the cascade potential. What do you guys think?

I'd go with Yellow for increased damage+2tiles if you really have to level him to L141 now, otherwise doesn't seem to an issue waiting for the next round of LT rewards.

Alternatively, hold off until you draw Y/G in rewards pack and buy the alternative.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Doragon wrote:
    So here's an interesting question. My LazyThor is now 4/4/4 and I'm going to buy a cover to make him either 4/5/4 or 4/4/5. The question is which one do i go? Green seems like the obvious choice, but yellows level 5 adds 2 green tiles which might increase the cascade potential. What do you guys think?

I'd go with Yellow for increased damage+2tiles if you really have to level him to L141 now, otherwise doesn't seem to an issue waiting for the next round of LT rewards.

Alternatively, hold off until you draw Y/G in rewards pack and buy the alternative.

Thats probably going to be a while sadly: the 141 LT will complete my defensive team so I'm going to bite the bullet and spend the HP.
  • So here's an interesting question. My LazyThor is now 4/4/4 and I'm going to buy a cover to make him either 4/5/4 or 4/4/5. The question is which one do i go? Green seems like the obvious choice, but yellows level 5 adds 2 green tiles which might increase the cascade potential. What do you guys think?

I think yellow is better because going from 7 to 9 tiles greatly increases the chance of a monster cascade when you already have a decent amont of green (say, at least 10). Sure green does a ton of damage, but it doesn't do you much good if you can't get it in the first place. It's even more important for defense because you sure can't count on the AI hitting 14g without some other help.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree that 5 in yellow is almost mandatory for its ability to generate green, whether you are generating it for Thor or whoever and for its tendency to generate cascades. Plus, his yellow simply packs a wholloping punch.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phantron wrote:

I think yellow is better because going from 7 to 9 tiles greatly increases the chance of a monster cascade when you already have a decent amont of green (say, at least 10). Sure green does a ton of damage, but it doesn't do you much good if you can't get it in the first place. It's even more important for defense because you sure can't count on the AI hitting 14g without some other help.

Ditto. Yellow feeds the green, and the more green tiles you can pump out the better since you'll be able to use the skill. Keep an eye out though for another green though so you can go 3/5/5. The dmg from lvl 4 green goes from 3261 to 3856 on target and 1631 to 1927. The extra damage on red at lvl 4 is 1492 roughly to lvl 3 1167.

You are getting a 325 damage boost with a 4/5/4 on red, but you're losing 595 on greent target and 296 AOE on the other two. Total missed damage

I know people talk about his OPness, but I actually think it's in the numbers, before with 2* Thor you wanted 5/5/3 they shifted the power so that you wanted 3/5/5 which is fine, but I think they stripped a little too much damage out of red and put a little too much into yellow. Right now all of Thor's power comes from yellow, but if you say allowed red to make 1 or 2 more yellow, and yellow make 1 or 2 less green, I think you would have a more balanced character in terms of skill and he wouldn't create so much anger

4/5/4--Let's assume you can cast red twice to green's once that's 650 on target damage
    3/5/5--Lets assume once you get an extra 595 green target and 592 with the two AOE that's 1187 total output damage

As you can see the 4/5/4 does 537 less total output damage than 3/5/5 and that assumes you cast red twice to 1 green.
  • ThatOneGuyjp189512
    ThatOneGuyjp189512 Posts: 543 Critical Contributor
    one little thing they changed today. his call of the storm read "Does Xdamage to all targets and an additional Xdamage to the target" i like the new wording #thatisall
  • bahamut685
    bahamut685 Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    Man I need this guy maxed... He only needs 12 yellow to deal ~10k damage... 2k targeted -> ~4k targeted + 2k to each other enemy... Too bad I'm sitting at 1/0/5, instead of 3/5/5.
  • Not only all that stuff but his health is absurd.

Does more damage
    Generates more ap
    Has more health

Than his evil counterpart ragnarok. Where is any1 seeing balance here?

Really shows in rag tourney when buffed up max rag still isn't nearly as scary as non buff 141 LT.