***** Big Wheel (Jackson Weele) *****

Comments

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,379 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pretty strange Marvel is still suffering from license agreements from 1990. Namor is in the ghost hole as well as the Hulk. I'm sure there are dozens of others that we don't even know about.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've heard creators on podcasts who are actively doing comics at Marvel say that certain characters will be off limits for certain books because they are being used elsewhere etc. Interestingly enough, Marvel told Patton Oswalt that they specifically couldn't use Paste Pot Pete and Stilt Man in the MODOK show due to some unspecified rights issues.

"Marvel was so cool about like, 'Yeah you want Iron Man? Yeah, take Iron Man.' And I was like, 'Oh my God I can't believe Iron Man!' Like the only characters, they said no to were like Stilt-Man and Paste-Pot Pete we tried to have in that episode," Blum tells us.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/modok-marvel-wouldnt-let-show-use-stilt-man/

Without having seen that agreement with MPQ, it seems more likely to me that they just get told who they HAVE to feature as a tie-in to something happening out in the marvel world rather than them going to the character store and buying licenses to specific ones as they want them. Or very possible who they were not to use during certain windows when there was allegedly a moratorium on FF and X-Men tie-in stuff hypothetically perhaps.

There was a bit of a fall out with Wally Wood's estate because the various collaboraters who made it (I guess including Marvel) didn't give him a credit on the Daredevil Netflix show (Wood created the red costume and other thematic visuals such as his Radar Sense visual). They took it as a slight as both Stan Lee and Bill Everett got one. As Wood co-created Stilt Man Marvel might have been a bit wary of poking that bear, hence why he might be off limits. Not sure about Paste Pot Pete though. I am currently re-watching Superhero Squad as my son is loving it and PPP is a regular on that so this must be a recently "new" thing as that show is only around 10 or so years old and there seemed to be no licensing issues then.

• DAZ0273
    dianetics said:
    Pretty strange Marvel is still suffering from license agreements from 1990. Namor is in the ghost hole as well as the Hulk. I'm sure there are dozens of others that we don't even know about.

It is complicated. Marvel got back the movie rights to Hulk (and Namor) a while back but importantly the Distribution rights to any movies made with those two as headliners are retained by Universal. Disney would lose out on a chunk of change if they made a Hulk movie along with no control over vital issues such as streaming and where it could be shown and how many theatres. It just wouldn't be proftable and apparently neither company can play nicely with the other. So we will have to just look forward to She Hulk for our next Hulk fix unless something shifts a lot.
  • dianetics
    DAZ0273 said:
    It is complicated. Marvel got back the movie rights to Hulk (and Namor) a while back but importantly the Distribution rights to any movies made with those two as headliners are retained by Universal. Disney would lose out on a chunk of change if they made a Hulk movie along with no control over vital issues such as streaming and where it could be shown and how many theatres. It just wouldn't be proftable and apparently neither company can play nicely with the other. So we will have to just look forward to She Hulk for our next Hulk fix unless something shifts a lot.
    Yeah I know what the deal is with Hulk, but Namor is more complicated. AFAIK Namors rights have been more or less lost. Marvel isn't really sure who holds the rights to him so they aren't able to even use his character, unlike Hulk.
    It would be interesting if Universal decided to make a hulk movie without Ruffalo and then see what happens to the MCU. It is also interesting that Universal has not made a Hulk movie since 2008 and the license has not expired. As such with Spidey after 10 years the license would revert. I am guessing Hulk and Namor had a similar agreement prior to spiderman and x-men.
  • DAZ0273
    dianetics said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    Yeah I know what the deal is with Hulk, but Namor is more complicated. AFAIK Namors rights have been more or less lost. Marvel isn't really sure who holds the rights to him so they aren't able to even use his character, unlike Hulk.
    It would be interesting if Universal decided to make a hulk movie without Ruffalo and then see what happens to the MCU. It is also interesting that Universal has not made a Hulk movie since 2008 and the license has not expired. As such with Spidey after 10 years the license would revert. I am guessing Hulk and Namor had a similar agreement prior to spiderman and x-men.

From what I understand Universal aren't interested in a movie with either. Namor is also even less appealing in part due to Aquaman having now had a movie. Kevin Feige back in 2018 basically said that Marvel/Disney could go about getting Namor back if they really wanted but it was probably not going to happen whilst there are easier things to do on the table and it would not be easy. Of course there could have been a further twist since then.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2021
    I discovered there was once a plan for a Namor live action show in the 1950s, I would love to find some production footage/design work from that just to see what it would have been like.

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix9/namor50stv.html
  • Jacklag
    Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    If this character starts showing up for me in PvP, I'll have to quit the game.
  • Jacklag
    Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    I would love to find some production footage/design work from that just to see what it would have been like.
    I doubt it.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,802 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2021
    If this character *doesn't* start showing up in PvP I'm going to have to quit the game!
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Jacklag said:
    I would love to find some production footage/design work from that just to see what it would have been like.
    I doubt it.
    That it exists, or that I’d love to see it? I am skeptical anything actually got shot, but I can assure you I’d like to see it lol.
  • dianetics
    He is going to show up in PvP. Really going to go after Kitty and BRB.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    I already have plans for him in the Simulator. Who knows what my roster will look like by then though. 
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    (PASSIVE) Big Wheel tirelessly builds momentum, proving he's not all torque. Whenever Big Wheel's team makes a match beyond the first in a turn, Big Wheel gains 1 Speed Point. If Big Wheel has 6 or more Speed Points at the start of your turn, Big Wheel spins out, rotating the board 

I like this character

Note that his green "removes" and doesn't destroy specials. So it won't trigger effects like BRB protect tiles being destroyed or matched, or polaris spamming the board with specials.  

Red is cool, but it's a shame it conflicts with ShangChi's red. Would you rather destroy 5 targeted non special tiles, or rotate 8 tiles 90 degrees?

Is the rotation random, or always clockwise? I imagine it wouldn't be counterclockwise because he would just want to be rotating forwards.  

And his design reminds me of a particular Gundam trash unit. I forget the name of them, but they had a big tyre around them. 

Maybe you could have MeH, Big wheel and C5rnage and get as many automatic matches as fast as possible each turn.

His hitpoints seem respectable too. and his AP costs are just right
  • dianetics
    Used him a few times in his introducing and he is cool as hell.
    Got his sp up to 14 or something and it did a pretty big hit.
    his red was great and so was his green.
    Its a very cool kit that will be a lot of fun with the right partners 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2021
    This guy is really big. He took up 60% of the screen.

His powers rotate 90 degree clockwise.

You can create matches with his red or green but you need good visualisation skills. I'm terrible at flipping things around, so I'll use him more to practise this skill.

There's no cap to the number of speed points because I got to 16.

Overall this guy is fun. The animations reminds me of Sonic the Hedgehog. Sounds is similar to racing sound.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    I love it. 10/10 for making trash tier comic characters highly desirable. I’m really looking forward to building him.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks for that knowledge. Using 20 speed points, his max damage is (at 5 cover):

1) green power deals 2383 AoE + 16,560 to a random enemy.
    2) red power deals 6502 + 28920 = 35,422
    3) blue power deals 54, 280

3/5/5 for me since I already have a winfinite team for him.

• dianetics
    I'm looking at 535 to get that 4x4 in the center.