Which 5* to work on next ?

Options
tonypq
tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
Out of the 5*s below who would you work on finishing next and why ? 

Iron Man 12
Yelena 11
DD 8
Goblin 7
Hawkeye 8
Surfer 9
Black Bolt 5
Captain America First Avenger 8
Spider Man Peter Parker 6
Jean Grey 7
Onslaught 3
Storm 3
Black Widow 6
Ghost Rider 3
Killmonger 3
Yellowjacket 2
Spider Man BIB 4
Jessica Jones 3
Archangel 8
Cyclops 1
Gambit 7
Electro 3
Iceman 5
Ronan 3

The champed 5*s I have are Apoc, Kitty, BRB, Colossus, Switch, Captain Marvel, Thanos, Knull, Doom, ProfX, OML, Carnage, Okoye, Hela, Shang, Panther, Strange, Thor, Ihulk, Odin, Ultron. I can't decide who to work on next and I still have at least 700 5* shards in milestone rewards maybe more. I can't tell how many goals I met but I might have more than the 700 shards. 

I play SCL 10 PVE and attempt the challenge nodes. For PVE I do complete all clears and then one last sweep through. I'm in a very casual alliance and I personally don't necessarily play for top placement unless there are some 5* shards I need badly. For PVP I do SCL 10 but very rarely go past the fist CP reward or 13 wins/500 points I think. Also I almost never do shield simulator events.

There are quite a few 5s I'm very close to finishing and then others I'd really like but have only a few covers for. Not really sure which of the 5s above you all think I need the most. Looking to see who you  would suggest. 

Comments

• Zalasta
    Zalasta Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Onslaught should be first. He's primarily a support guy, but I use him all the time. He's great for board shake, denying Okoye teamup tiles, but most importantly, I can usually kill any annoying 4-stars on my first turn if I can get a match-4 or better.  He's been my preferred 3rd with Apoc/Thor, and works well with SC as well.  Highly under-rated 5-star.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The better question is which ones are completely irrelevant.  Most of these are quite good when God boosted. and all have some reasonable utility in special case situations.

The worst ones by far are
    Iron Man
    Surfer
    Captain America
    Jean Grey
    Black Widow
    Gambit.

Even boosted, they don't offer enough synergy to choose them over an normal 5* that can pair well with other members of that particular boost week.  For example if either Onslaught or 5* PX is God boosted, they are near unstoppable on offense.

But the rest can have good utility depending on who else is boosted that week.  We all saw how good Iceman is when he's boosted.

If you have OPEN 5* shards that can be applied to any char, I personally think your better off using them to fortify your existing champs.  Look to see if those shards can fix any tanking order issues for your existing combos.  Having a big Collossus or Apoc to tank over Wanda  is a big help
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Go for Hawkeye because he can go winfinite with Shang-Chi and Agent Coulson, if that's your thing.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I would target Onslaught for shards and Red Guardian for your 4* so he can feed covers to Yelena. 
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    Options
    When you say work on, I'd give you an answer that parses out a few ways to work on 5*s:

1) Shard rewards: none of them. Use your shard rewards to add levels to Okoye or Apoc, both of whom will improve your game more than any of the remaining characters you listed but don't have champed. I'd lean slightly towards Okoye since she's more PvE relevant and you don't play PvP past 500, then again, with a bigger Apoc you might find playing higher in PvP easier. Your call.

2) 4* feeders: favorite the toon with the least covers that has a feeder. I think for you that's Yellowjacket (fed by Kate Pryde) but that's from memory so I'm not 100% positive. The reason is simple: you want to eventually champ them all and you want to feed the one that needs the most help.

3) CP: hoard. Use your CP on special vaults that have any of those unchamped characters to improve their coverage. You're missing enough covers on classics that I'd actually take a blended approach and alternate pulling some classics and pulling some special stores. My hope is you earn enough LTs that you don't need CP for the LT store to keep covering the new releases.

Random observations:

1) Storm has been the MVP for me for the Puzzle Gauntlets
    2) Some people swear by Thor/Okoye/Iceman for difficult nodes including the CN
    3) You say that you "attempt" the challenge nodes, but if you have a champed BRB, you should be able to complete it easily (albeit a bit slowly) with BRB + Polaris + Th4nos/J1ggernaut
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Man, my first thought when seeing the title of this thread was this would be about which older 5* the devs could work on next...  :|

Oh, Phoenix was quite okay together with Storm, recently. I actually preferred them to using Iceman, most of that week. He was somehow too slow for me, but maybe I just suck at playing.  :p

She is pretty bad though, compared to the rest of the 5's now. Iceman is definitely more useful overall.

Yelena, Hawkeye, Iceman, Onslaught, Storm would be my picks out of all those, sorted by the number of covers?

• TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I hate to steal the OP’s thunder but shortly a milestone reward will allow me to champ one of the following. ( The answer may be so obvious I’ll feel stupid just for asking ) : JJones, Kitty, Ronan, Thanos or Yelena.  Most of them work great at 11-12 covers already , who really needs to be champed to make the most significant difference?
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I hate to steal the OP’s thunder but shortly a milestone reward will allow me to champ one of the following. ( The answer may be so obvious I’ll feel stupid just for asking ) : JJones, Kitty, Ronan, Thanos or Yelena.  Most of them work great at 11-12 covers already , who really needs to be champed to make the most significant difference?
    I would pass on Thanos, Ronan, Yelena personally and finish them other ways. In my years playing Kitty has been one of the characters I've used the most and pairs with many others. If you got her pink and yellow at 3 or more covers, then she's certainly pretty viable as is, but getting purple to 5 covers to remove countdowns is a must. 

One of JJ or Ronan would be my second choice. Thanos and Yelena aren't bad but I just think you'd get more use out of Kitty or JJ/Ronan. 

Depending on how many covers you have on some of these characters, saving your milestone rewards and finishing them by shard rewards, store purchases, favorites, or special stores could be a way to go also. Depends how bad you really need one of those 5s to be fully covered vs how long you can wait to finish them by other means.

The milestone rewards are very generous in the amount of 5* shards they give. I prefer to use them when there is a must have character in the LL store. They give you a lot of flexibility regarding how many pulls you may need to make and the amount of resources you throw away. 

I pulled for Shang yesterday, got 5 covers in blue pretty fast. I was then able to use milestone rewards to finish him off easily rather than spend who knows how many more CPs to get the last cover or two I needed. 
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    Options

If you're set on using the milestone reward on one of them (see my earlier advice where I recommend not doing that), I agree with @Tony_Foot and will add an additional element--it depends on their cover distribution and the benefit from being able to change it. For example, if your Kitty is at 5/2/5, she's a good candidate because her best build is 5/5/3 so champing her will allow you to respec her as optimal. On the other hand, if she is 5/5/2, I might not pick her depending on where the other ones are at.

There are many different opinions on optimal spec, but here are my current builds if it helps:

Kitty: 5/5/3
    Jessica: 3/5/5
    Ronan: 5/3/5
    Thanos: 5/3/5
    Yelena: 5/5/3 (sometimes 5/3/5 vs non-tile movers in PvE)

One more point: of the ones above, only Ronan does not have a 4* feeder (and isn't likely to get one soon). That would weigh heavily for me. as I can chase the others easily through 4* levels.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I always work on the 5 star that is closest to completetion or whatever 5 star that is in latest pack the game blesses me with the most of.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have basically no experience with post-switch 5*s, so take my advice fwiw.
    Onslaught is probably the top name on the list, especially for PVP, since he has a natural teammate in Prof$ and may be useful with shang-chi thanks to his board control and cascades.  With only 3 covers, however, it will take a ton of effort to cover him, so you might get better returns from going for the lower hanging fruit first. 
    Other 5*s on your list like Yelena, DD, and Hawkeye are all useful in certain situations and could be finished a lot faster (especially yelena who is sneaky great in some hard PVE situations). 
    After those two groups, the next tier for me is Killmonger, JJ, and Iceman.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2021
    Options
    It might be better here, though I’m sure both options are fine.  What are your options?
  • Sekilicious
    Options
    I’m not sure that is an F. Sounds like a great problem to have. If it were me I would probably just do BRB as an alternative to SC for Dr. Strange nodes.  In your case, I would also consider building Thor, Sighclops, or Onslaught (whichever is closest but Thor has most utility). Another alternative would be to hoard until Ultron rotates and favourite Sersi or Gamora. My preference would be Sersi, but favouriting the oldest character in Latest is a good option to ensure all are champed. None of these options are ideal probably. 

• Phumade
    Options
    D5ken or Deadpool.

in situations where you have no specific 5* objective in mind,  then default to the highest 5* that can use shards.  There will be many times where you don't have a specific objective.  You should just go back to the default goal of getting 5* champed as soon as practical.

of course, if new information comes, that makes you want to focus on BRB, then refocus on BRB.   But in the absence of any gut feeling etc,  go with the default standing orders.

This game is a marathon not a sprint, and there will always be times, when your stuck "spinning wheels" until the next "info drop" occurs.  So its okay to let things accumulate where possible,  use resources on the lowest hanging fruit, and focus on specific targets when you have information that gives you a likely path.

Its okay to even champ 5* rescue.  
  • Sekilicious
    Options
    Deadpool is good because his black might make Colossus or Shang-Chi from picking on you. But probably not stop them. He will eventually get a feeder so if you are never going to use him you can consider him already champed. But I think Phumade makes a good point about just favouriting the next closest until you need to shift priorities. Of the two, Sighclops is Shang-Chi’s best partner. So if you’re looking to beef up SC then prioritizing Cyke is a great way to go. 
  • Phumade
    Options
    Objectively Ronan and dr strange are the most viable chars on that list.

ronan blue is a good damage dealer when paired behind two other strong chars.  He doesn’t really offer synergies with anyone else, but can be a strong effective third wheel.  Dr strange stun is always valuable but his health is too squishy in modern game.  I haven’t played gamora so I can’t comment.  Sigh clops and Odin are fantastic when paired with ideal partners but meh on their own.  BRB is great and I personally would say he’s better than anyone else on that list.  OML and Jean are way past their prime.  I wouldn’t invest in them unless some new information drops that changes my mind.

mehneto is basically waiting for a partner that makes him valuable.  I would champ him and not worry about getting him to a high level
  • purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2021
    Options
    As a similar babychamp I have spent much time gazing and pondering the same dilemma. Jumping in my way-back machine: Once I knew I had Goblin locked in with milestones I said tinykitty rng and I will shardchamp classic YJ from 3/4covers, after slow incremental growth and NOT champed; now I am like uhm whos at 10+covers???
    It’s gachagame so I think you have to go with the Rng dealt and just get the best of whos close to finishing.  I would def let Ironman ripen naturally and don’t bother learning civil war teams: he is a commemorative cereal box: those Wheaties are stale AF! Yelena is fun and thoughtful when she comes around boostweek and how much do you love Florence? “We are all doing a really good job!”. Goblin has that passive fort. Daredevil is good and has true heal and puts the damage on in a stun meta; I am going to feeder him next from the 3*(sign my petition to open the Elektra dead end and connect to the DD Expressway).
     Hawkeye is a battery and those should always be chased as well as being relevant right now! I champed Loki during his season but had to wait 3 weeks to watch the finale cuz grinding ; now I have positive associations with char&show! and maybe its groundhogday syndrome but Journey into Mystery is the best television episode since the Punisher in prison.
    If already have a solid foundation of good 5* Champs; would also strongly consider the balance of achieving a playability threshold against power gains from champing. Is there a good char that functions better at 2->3 covers and doesn’t nesc want to be tanking all the time? You can use BRB as just a battery, Killmonger still makes you pay, yelena swings the AP, onslaught kicks it with the prof if you can get x/4/x. Depends on if you are a mechanic and enjoy the play or spike the win already. 
    IdrWife: I am low-key jealous of champed Jessica Joneses(4/2/1) she still punches pretty hard on Defense in PvP and I enjoy facing them for the clue strategy challenges the char brings so I would like to see more in wild but Kitty all the way. The SAP buff is real and short circuit adds to consideration of her being one of very best chars in the game. 
    Dianetics: Ghostpool is fun and gets used everyday and has no feeder so if you ever want to finish: gonna hafta go all in.