Recruiting top five to casual - FromTheAshes - Slack community

Laeuftbeidir
Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
edited December 2018 in MtGPQ Coalitions
Time for another update!

FTA also known as Team Tiger (due to one of our leaders obsession with felines) has two different roles. We're  an open Slack community, free for everyone to join. We don't mind sharing our resources with anyone, and have many friendly rivals hanging out with us. We even have a channel where they're allowed to recruit. And we're a family of coalitions, with players from casual to competitive.

We're recruiting on all levels of play. We look for players with top ten /top 25 capabilities and have enough capacities for any casual /new player that is interested in joining our friendly group.

Our open system allows you to switch between our coalitions weekly, based on how much effort you want to give..only limited by our all-mighty spreadsheet. That doesn't mean you must move, it means you can move. It also means that we always have openings! 

Our current roster :

Tormented

All time rank five and regular top five finisher. Tormented is aiming for perfection, to get to the very top (sorry, goblin pile, we're after you!). If you're a perfectionist as well, this is one of the few top groups where you can "easily" gain a spot in. Join us, score high!

D3NIED

All time top fifteen, occasional top ten finisher. Even if you're not at the level for tormented, you could make the difference to reach the top ten in this coalition.

D3fenestrate

Our semi competitive group. D3fenestrate works its way towards top 25 to settle there. Regular top 30 finisher, occasional top 25.

Mythtaken

Our first semi casual group. Mythtaken aims for the top 100 and has apart from activity no requirements. Regular top 80 finisher.

Eleusys

Our other semi casual group. The latest addition to our roster. Eleusys works its way into the top 100 currently

LordWindgrac

Our hyper casual group! This coalition doesn't care how much you score as long as you show a sign of life from time to time - also, this group is free to join in game currently.

The whole group is organised via Slack. Ping me or use our contact email ( FromTheAshesPQ@gmail.com ) toget an invite!  We also welcome everyone who wants to participate in our deck-building channels (and challenges!), or coalition leaders in need of active players (we often help out outside of our group!). 

What we expect :

Slack is mandatory - joining one of our coalitions isn't.

Use common sense. Nobody needs to be friendly or overly political correct all the time, but we're proud about having a positive, respectful ambiance leading to productive discussions since forever.

What we offer :

We're experts in deck building, our dedicated channel is even used by players of other coalitions.

We know how to make a player competitive if he or she wants to be competitive. Individual deck building help as well as guides (how to build optimal decks for the starter pws with a limited collection, a primer how to beat every pve encounter) are only part of it. Even I have no clue how many other great resources there might be hidden. 

Transparency. Every resource is openly accessible, every decision will be explained if asked for it.

And if you don't like us.. Leaders of several other groups hang around with us. We'll find you a spot! 

Edit :
Updated description 19.09.18
Updated description 13.10.18
Updated description 26.10.18
Updated description 07.11.18
Updated description 18.12.18

Comments

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is totally unrelated to recruitment, but what is that poster from?  It is beautiful and I want to know more.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Mburn7 said:
    This is totally unrelated to recruitment, but what is that poster from?  It is beautiful and I want to know more.
    I'd invite you anyway, even if it'd only be to discuss B-Movies that have to be watched.
    It's from Starship Troopers. There's lot of great artwork, by the way! Just.. Don't watch the second movie.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    We're welcoming the new players that joined us during the last month - Nothing is better than fresh blood to fight those nasty bugs!

Do you want to improve your game while reaching for the best rewards? Answer here or DM me!

Our current aim :
    D3NIED ranked 11th in 5 out of the last 6 coalition events. One single player could have made the difference each time : that could be you! 

If you're not fit for it yet, join us anyway, there's nothing better than our deck building channel to improve.
  • Sarahschmara
    Sarahschmara Posts: 554 Critical Contributor
    Mburn7 said:
    I'd invite you anyway, even if it'd only be to discuss B-Movies that have to be watched.
    It's from Starship Troopers. There's lot of great artwork, by the way! Just.. Don't watch the second movie.
    Do we have a channel for #bmovies yet?
  • Gilgalad
    Gilgalad Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    Hey @Sarahschmara
    , I would like to join, but dont know how this slack thing works. Just created one acc in there, its Gilgalad, if u can add me =)
  • Sarahschmara
    Invite sent! @Gilgalad
  • Sarahschmara
    We’ve got a few openings in Mythtaken this event. Join right away and we’ll tell you all about our “one big team” philosophy!
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Important :

Since @Sarahschmara "left" the forum, please ping me with anything FTA related! She also won't be reacting to pns anymore. 

And thanks for filling up Mythtaken! We're good for this weekend, if you want a shot at our group, ping me :)
  • Laeuftbeidir
    We have a reason to celebrate!

We finally delivered the doublepack we were aiming for since months (!) and brought Tormented and D3NIED back into the top ten at the same time; finally ending the loooong #11 spree the Denied players kept up to freak me out!

Great news for the casual part of the group, too : Mythtaken delivered the first top 100 finish ever with a solid 87th rank!

Party on our Slack, all drinks on me B)<3
  • Laeuftbeidir
    It's been a month since we really had a good reason to celebrate :

Congratulations to Tormented and D3fenestrate!

Tormented pulled off their first rank one finish in a while - now all the players are hungry to repeat this.
    Message me if you think you've got it in you to help us with this aim!

D3fenestrate was established to be our top 25 coalition. After several close calls, they did it and reached rank 24! When you're a bit competitive, but don't want stress - we have a place for you as well!

Our doors are always open for anyone being interested in joining us! Free cat picks for everyone!
  • Laeuftbeidir
    I'll keep on talking to myself on a monthly base. Feel free to comment here as well, to make this less awkward, but thank you for the direct messages and emails!

Tormented did not miss top ten in ages. D3NIED pops into the top ten more often than half a year ago. Defenestrate climbs ranks as well and again finished in the top 25.

We now have our optimal size to support two top groups. This means our restructuring process including six coalitions is now finally complete! It actually was some weeks ago, but.. You know, holidays and stuff. We'll focus on recruiting top level players and Stars on the rise in the next time, but we'll always be open and welcoming to everyone. Most of our top level players are self-made by us. They either started being competitive with us or failed in other groups because they didn't get the right support.
  • Tyding
    Tyding Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    edited February 2019
    Just want to comment that I joined one of your coalitions -- ran a week with them scoring personally in the top 25.  That should of been a fair amount of points towards the overall-ranking and deemed respectful activity.  Unfortunately, I over-looked the 'mandatory' slack policy -- and when joining, only one person mentioned it. 

Nothing else was mentioned after that and I was kicked out after the event.    

I understand the use for chat-apps, but in simple games like these, where the only real tactic is to play and aim to win your matches...I'm not sure if (chat apps) should take priority over activity. 

Again -- I could see its use if you are switching out members from week to week due to personal changes in their lives where they need to go to the casual end or promoted up to the top  ranks --- but if the member stays active and brings in respectfully high scores...why should they be penalized?
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Tyding said:
    Just want to comment that I joined one of your coalitions -- ran a week with them scoring personally in the top 25.  That should of been a fair amount of points towards the overall-ranking and deemed respectful activity.  Unfortunately, I over-looked the 'mandatory' slack policy -- and when joining, only one person mentioned it. 

Nothing else was mentioned after that and I was kicked out after the event.    

I understand the use for chat-apps, but in simple games like these, where the only real tactic is to play and aim to win your matches...I'm not sure if (chat apps) should take priority over activity. 

Again -- I could see its use if you are switching out members from week to week due to personal changes in their lives where they need to go to the casual end or promoted up to the top  ranks --- but if the member stays active and brings in respectfully high scores...why should they be penalized?

That's a fair question. First off, sorry that it didn't went as smoothly as we'd like it to. You scored well that event and if you are interested, I'd offer you a spot there as well.

The system isn't perfectly balanced towards "random" joiners that didn't join us via Slack. The players in tormented and denied know the drill when someone external joins , but it rarely happens in coalitions below unless I send an open invite -in which case we know what to expect. I since then changed the way we track scores so I can better see players like you.

Now, for context : we have a philosophy of fluid rosters with an opt-in system, opposed to most groups using an opt out system. Permanent players are rare, and we move about 1/3 of the players every week. To us, the benefits are that good, new players can rise in coalitions very fast, as well as taking a break for a week doesn't mean that a competitive player has to wait for someone to opt out to get a top spot back. The disadvantage is that when a player like you joins who doesn't use Slack, there is a realistic chance that he gets overlooked. I'm constantly working on making the system better, so I'm going to take your case to look for improvements.
    I can even backtrack what happened exactly, but I doubt it'd be relevant to you.

Lastly.. Just playing the game is somehow one of the worst parts of this game. Most of us who are longer around stick for the community we build up over the years. I enjoy deck brewing more than the gameplay itself and thanks to the dedicated channel, all of our new players who are active there become remarkably better within a short amount of time.
  • Tyding
    Tyding Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    Appreciate the response.  In fairness -- I was conflicted/blind-sided(by my lack of awareness to see that part of your post) that after joining I was told your community uses slack.

It put me in a spot where I wanted to avoid conflict(being kicked) so inquired if there was a work-around(IE if it was optional).     I assume those in that coalition knew the drill and didn't want to bother with a out of the loop new-comer that was hesitant to join slack. 

My phone is out dated and has barely enough memory despite only having 2-3 optional apps I ever use...so I really wasn't planning to d/l another app for 1 game;  Again -- I see the counter argument as you encourage a family theme where its not for 1 game, yet that wasn't my original intent on joining.  Just was an unfortunate scenario where I just hoped I put up a good enough score to slip under the radar.

Thanks for the extended offer -- but slack wont work for me as I mentioned with my phone. 

Take care, the passion and respect you present is evident.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    edited February 2019
    First off, thank you for the kind response!
    You can feel free to join Eleusys for this week if you need a coalition. The lower two coalitions are currently not overly filled.. And if you're still interested (now that I know about you) we can make it work with a permanent spot on defenestrate - if you continue to score on the same level even without Slack (beginning next weekend, this weekend we're set). I just need to know about things to make it work ;)

By the way - I use Slack mostly on my pc!

Since I'm already posting :
    There are currently 5 spots in Eleusys and LordWindgrac open to take!
  • Jayarieldrillowup
    Jayarieldrillowup Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    FTA has moved to Discord from Slack.

https://discord.gg/5vNhhXJM
  • Devastat8r
    Devastat8r Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    Fresh blood looking for a strong coalition.  Please send me an invite - Devastator.