Your WORST MPQ moment of the day (REALITY thread)

Comments

• Captain_Trips88
    Captain_Trips88 Posts: 263 Mover and Shaker
    I went invisible and DIDN'T get stunned when she fired her blue, so don't know what happened for you
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    LHammer said:
    You know it's true....

I get that all the time on the challenge node with Prof X, Kitty and OML. Nearly every new match starts with two match 4s on the board.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    I went invisible and DIDN'T get stunned when she fired her blue, so don't know what happened for you
    It did happen with me.  Twice in a row, my Legion was stunned while invisible.

Fortunately, I had five attack tiles out, which kept draining her health until she went down.
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Dogface said:
    So today in CotT, I fought against Peggy with Legion. Got to 9 black and went invisble. Then Peggy got to 9 blue, stunned me for 3 turns (while I was invisible), and fired her red twice, which almost downed me.
    Isn't Peggy's blue for stunning all enemies except the target enemy (which would be Legion, as he is the only one there)?
    If Peggy's blue stuns all but the target, and an invisible character cannot be a target, then that makes since. Here is my question: If all enemies are invisible, will it stun all three enemies? I'm guessing it does.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,516 Chairperson of the Boards
    The Professor X boost week is just KILLING me. I've had so many games where, no matter how carefully I choose my matches, the board somehow leaves the AI with a match-4 or 5. It feels like every single move I make is punished. I fully realize it's just confirmation bias, but that character is defense exhibit A for someone trying to prove that the game cheats. 
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 967 Critical Contributor
    Borstock said:
    The Professor X boost week is just KILLING me. I've had so many games where, no matter how carefully I choose my matches, the board somehow leaves the AI with a match-4 or 5. It feels like every single move I make is punished. I fully realize it's just confirmation bias, but that character is defense exhibit A for someone trying to prove that the game cheats. 
    That's why I usually avoid Prof X, especially now when he's boosted. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I strongly believe that Prof X has been coded with higher probability for match-4, just like how battling against Jean Grey has a higher probability of seeing match-5. I'm glad Prof X boosted week is over. I spent ~40 healthpacks in the previous and current pvp. Up next, Colossus.  :D
  • Borstock
    Dogface said:
    Borstock said:
    That's why I usually avoid Prof X, especially now when he's boosted. 

I avoided him as often as I could, but once I hit around 700, I found around 85% of the teams worth hitting utilized Prof X. The only good part was I didn't get hit too often, since I also used him. I think a significant contingent of players feel the same way about him as you do and prefer not to take him on when possible.
  • Captain_Trips88
    Captain_Trips88 Posts: 263 Mover and Shaker
    I echo the prof x comments, had him on his own down to 4k health where one more turn was going to be enough to finish him with shang chi at full health and colossus at close to full. Then the cascades happened and i lost, and got quite angry
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 967 Critical Contributor
    Biggest problem facing Prof X is his unpredictability. Most opponents have active powers you can keep track of, watching the number of AP, or manageable passives (Strange). With Prof X it can go bad really fast, and it's really hard to prevent match-4's on a big board, while also trying to get your own colors.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polaris and Sabertooth often have pretty massive cascades. Weird things happen when tiles drop
  • HoundofShadow
    Polaris/Sabretooth can be explained. I remember reading in one of the ancient dev blogposts that tiles destruction in chunk has a higher rate of same colour tiles appearing, compared to scattered tiles destruction. Unfortunately, they took down all their blogposts
  • trewiltrewil
    trewiltrewil Posts: 54 Match Maker
    Today my 58th consecutive LL pull without a 5*
  • Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 428 Mover and Shaker

That's awful, a pity timer really should kick in around 30 :(
  • HoundofShadow
    The odds will even out to be closed to 15% in the end. It has been proven by players who pulled a lot and track their pulls. I went through 50-70 pulls without a single 5* before. After that, it keeps popping up. 

I think the dev mentioned that putting pity timer without adjusting the pull rate is difficult. Currently, pull rate is 15%. I expect it to drop to 11-12% if pity timer is in place, subjected to what the number the pity timer is set to.
  • Timemachinego
    edited November 2021
    The odds will even out to be closed to 15% in the end. It has been proven by players who pulled a lot and track their pulls. I went through 50-70 pulls without a single 5* before. After that, it keeps popping up. 

I think the dev mentioned that putting pity timer without adjusting the pull rate is difficult. Currently, pull rate is 15%. I expect it to drop to 11-12% if pity timer is in place, subjected to what the number the pity timer is set to.
    The problem there being that only long-term players (and trackers) will ever actually see that.
    It's not difficult, we all know these are predetermined, right? You just plug in a 5* whenever the stretch between gets too long. It's a simple and;if statement in whatever algo generates for all of us each and every new store's pulls. It WOULD be necessary to reseed future LL and Classics pulls for every user when implemented, but that's it.
    Edit: Sorry if I'm railing on about this, it just bugs me that whenever I see someone noting the devs said something is "too hard" that it rings heavily of obfuscating stupidity to me. Maybe I'm a little too used to interpreting carnie-talk, but that's what it feels like and after a certain point it becomes an insult to your entire user-base to keep it up. If it'd interfere with their fiscals they need to just come out and say it.
  • Borstock
    It does even out, but dang. That is BRUTAL.

• HoundofShadow
    When they say "hard", they aren't referring to the coding part. It's the balancing part.

To give you an example, before Shards, we had Bonus Heroes. BH rate was 5%, which means for every ~20 5* covers that you get, there would be 1 extra 5* cover. That works out to about 140 pulls.

With the introduction of shards to guarantee an additional 5* cover, 167 pulls are needed. That works out to about 19% increase in pulls needed to get bonus 5* cover. A lot of trade off were made to a large part of the games.

Likewise, if you want to "guarantee" 5* at X-th pull, they have to change the pull rate from 15% to balance things out. So, if you decrease the current pull rate by 20%, you get 12% pull rate. And they are not going to increase your CP and LTs income when they do that. 
  • Timemachinego
    edited November 2021
    When they say "hard", they aren't referring to the coding part. It's the balancing part.

Likewise, if you want to "guarantee" 5* at X-th pull, they have to change the pull rate from 15% to balance things out. So, if you decrease the current pull rate by 20%, you get 12% pull rate. And they are not going to increase your CP and LTs income when they do that. 

So, instead of it actually being hard, it'll screw up their spend metrics and actually hurt us to put something like that in the game since they won't give up ground on the bottom-line. That's weak but at least understandable; I'd prefer they communicate that.
    That said, I think you're slightly misunderstanding "pity" mechanics. It's not a guaranteed pull at #, it's a guarantee after so many back-to-back failures. I've played other games that eventually implemented such systems and it didn't seem to hurt them, if anything it increased spend because at least players knew there was a finite ending to a dry streak and draw strategies grew to embrace that.